Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times

Advertisements

I noticed my pansies haven't been looking great but honestly I never thought this could be why. Anyone else have this going on?
Attached Thumbnails
squirrels are eating my pansies-picture-003.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
That is so cute! Well, except for the damage he's doing. There are all kinds of sprays you can buy at garden centers, with a bad taste to discourage animals from eating them. I don't ever remember seeing a squirrel eating my flowers, but then again I spray them to keep deer from eating them---maybe it keeps our squirrels away, too.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Oh, that's so cute. But I know that's not what you want to hear!

Squirrels get hungry, too -- toss them some peanuts, far away from your pansies. Or, make a mix of water and hot pepper sauce and squirt it on the pansies. Unless the squirrels have an unusual palate, they'll stay away.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
I've had problems in the past with squirrels digging up and eating my flowers. I don't like to use harmful pesticides, so tried putting some hot sauce in a spray bottle and sprayed the plants with it. Once burned, the squirrels stay away. I also put moth balls out on the ground around my tulip and daffodil bulbs when they start sprouting in the spring. The pungent odor helps some to keep the squirrels and rabbits from eating the new shoots.

Squirrels eating my plants was a relatively small problem, though, because I had HUGE problems for a couple years with squirrels getting into my house and inside the walls! (My house is 95 years old, and they find their way in through cracks in the foundation.) They would run up and down from the basement to the attic, and made all sorts of noise. Egad! That was awful to deal with! Those little varmints are hard to control! My problem has since been resolved, though, at least for the time being. Good luck with your pansies!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
I apologise in advance for this off-topic post but I misread the thread title as I was scanning through and had to do a double take!!!!!!!!!!

Hope the hot sauce helped keep them away

Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Rodents like pansies and also devour blue lobelia....they are like candy. I have even eaten a pansy in a salad fixed at a fancy dinner by a fancy chef. People can also eat rose petals.....

The above offerings are the best I would give, too, as I have had a lot of trouble with rabbits.....(who are also very destructive). I've tried bitter stuff, other bitter stuff, more bitter stuff, stinky stuff with coyote urine in it, blood meal, bone meal, hot chili peppers, moth balls, poison stuff bought at a farm center, (rabbits didn't eat it, but the rats and crows did), you name it.....and now I have 'scare crows' that spray water where there is motion. (The dam*ed crows are so smart that they have learned just how far the scare crows spray, go beyond the boundary and still tear the lawn up looking for grubs, and yes, I spread grub killer out, too). Look up a thread.....I think it's called Pesky Wabbits....it'll help you out....

Old 01-25-2010, 02:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Consider yourself lucky. Out here in the desert we have javelinas which are these wild pig-like animals which will eat anything and everything. (Dang, I wish I knew how to post pictures.) And they stink. And poop. Anywhere.

Nothing like looking out your front window and seeing five or six of these things chomping away at the $40.00 cactus you thought was so pretty.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 31,719 times
pansies are food for use and animals also so don't blame the squirrels....best way is to place them in a place that the squirrels can't get to or sprinkle with a squirrel deterent that you can get at a garden center or with a hot pepper spray....or get a cat to chase the squirels...lol

Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 16,765 times
Get a cat! You only need one but the more the merrier. I have three. They not only will chase squirrels but cats will also eat them but only up to the arm pits, the arms and the head are left as a trophy. Then they lovingly place their prize catch at your door step. If you reward the cat with a treat and praise they will also get moles and voles and mice for you. My trusty cat has been doing it for years. He also chases other unwanted animals off the property. I once watched him pounce on another feline in my garden and pin it to the ground. All the while roaring like a lion or something. Hard to believe by watching his behaviour in the yard that he was as gentle as a lamb in the house and very loving. He is very well taken care of and fed but he loves to eat the squirrels. It must be like steak filet for him. IDK. Cats are the best deterrant for any rodent problem around your house and garden. They clean themselves and require very little maintenance. They're reward is your love!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
moth balls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden