Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times

Advertisements

I really like the neighbors, but when I'm in my back yard...I'd like to do this with a little privacy. I have .20 acre fenced in. There are already some trees in the back of the property. I was thinking of planting a weeping willow in the back yard to give some privacy, because I know they grow fast. The area where I would plant a weeping willow is about 50 feet wide, so it would be large enough for it. Once the weeping willow is full grown, I project I will have full privacy from the neighbors in the back.

I also have a cobblestone patio that I would like to plant some privacy bushes around. I was thinking of a couple of redbud trees. I don't like leland cypress...just don't like something that will grow up tall and skinny.

I live in central north carolina where summers are hot and humid. The area I would be planting would get full to partial sun most of the day.

Is the weeping willow and the redbud good ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
I don't see how the weeping willow will give you "full privacy". They are very open, easy to see through. You also have to be mindful of water and sewer lines with willows, as their roots reach far and wide and get into the pipes and stop them up.

Not trying to talk you into Leyland cypress, but they don't grow tall and skinny....they are actually more "Christmas tree" shaped, wider at the bottom and tapering toward the top. They do get really large. Also, you said you wanted some privacy "bushes" around your patio....redbud trees are not bushes, and would not give any privacy....just a little shade. They are not very densely leaved either, though, and wouldn't give a deep shade.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,161 times
Wax myrtles work well also. They get to 20-25 feet, are fast growing (our 3 footers are now 10-13 feet high after three years) If planted somewhat close together, as we did, they make an effective barrier.

Downside of them is that they are somewhat plain bushes, they are not like the cypre myrtles that boom. Upside is that they are evergreens, so they stay green all year. They are also extremely hardy bushes. I'm in Houston, and last summer we had about three months of 95-105 days, day after day. Second hottest summer on record. Did not phase them at all, just had to water them once a week (very little rainfall during that period).

We had a extended hard freeze here this winter, did not phase them either.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
You could try Southern Magnolia or Saucer Magnolia. That is what we have in the back of our fenced in yard for privacy. We also have a Slash Pine, Bradford Pear, Bald Cypress, Red Cedar, Hemlock, and Blue Spruce scattered around the fence line. All are filling in nicely and provide a lot of privacy. Next to our patio we have a couple Crepe Myrtles and a few banana trees that work well for blocking out the neighbors.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I don't think the redbud will accomplish what you want, since they are not very densely branched and, of course, bare in the winter. Our willow is huge and you can't see anything through it.

I'm not too familiar with southern gardens, but here in zone 5 we use Rose of Sharon and Mock Orange a lot for privacy around porches.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
My good friend has a huge weeping willow in the back of his yard. He is the head of the grounds and landscaping department at a very exclusive golf course/club around here in Ca. he is a horticulturist as well.
As pretty as it is, that willow tree is smack dab in the center of his backyard, it doesn't really do much for screening purposes and the root system is doing terrible things to a couple of drainage pipes in the back of his 2 acre property.

He didn't plant this tree, but I tell you he said every year it's a pain to deal with those major strong root problems, he said to never plant one.

Is your neighbor's house multiple stories or something? You seem to be looking for screening that is much higher than what most use screening for.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:42 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Normally I'm not a big fan of Nandina, because it's so overused here, but in this case it seems like it would work well for you. It's evergreen, has nice winter interest and provides a good screen. It grows very well in the heat and humidity of Memphis which I believe has a similar climate to that part of NC.

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Heavenly Bamboo, Nandina Nandina domestica
http://www.greenparadisetx.com/catal...ub/nandina.jpg

Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
Okay, I've ruled out the willow tree. I don't want anything invasive. Now I'm leaning towards a couple of american hollies, a couple of burning bushes, and a couple of butterfly bushes for around the patio. All of those do great in our climate. I don't want to do a large tree around our patio because I do enjoy the sun coming through the windows in the winter (which is right next to the patio). I can trim the hollies the height that I want them and the butterfly bushes will get 5 feet tall in the summer which will be the perfect height.

For the back, for privacy from the back neighbors, I also haven't rulled out american hollies.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Prunus Caroliniana-Cherry Laurel. Perfect for privacy screening, evergreen and very easy maintenance. For the patio I recommend Ligustrum Japonicum- Wax Leaf Privet or Photinia fraseri - Fraser Photinia.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
You could try Southern Magnolia or Saucer Magnolia.
Southern Magnolia (magnolia grandiflora) and Saucer Magnolia (magnolia x soulangeana) are two different trees. They are both beautiful, but fairly slow growers. Southern is evergreen, Saucer is not. 'Little Gem' is a "Southern" variety that doesn't grow so huge.

Also, for around your patio, keep in mind that burning bushes and butterfly bushes both lose their leaves in the winter (butterfly bushes should actually be cut down to about 1 foot every year for best growth) and would not be providing any kind of privacy then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden