Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times

Advertisements

My dad once said if a nuclear war ever wiped out everything and everybody, before the dust settled, there would be a mimosa growing somewhere. He said there aint no way to kill them. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
Great Post!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Read this thread.

People on this board seem willing and able to plant mimosa's. I have a few thousand seedlings in my neighborhood and yard from a neighbor who planted them at some point. They line her yard as a screen and have spread for miles.
meh

I am borderline zone 4.
I have never even SEEN a mimosa around here.

So someone planting one down South still won't affect me here....

Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 AM

111 posts, read 326,222 times
I see you are in SWPA, so an example: Any invasives you might plant could easily wind up in the beautiful Ohiopyle area. There they probably won't threaten the native plants, because people are paid to maintain the area, but it takes lots of money/manpower. It is not just "my yard" that has the problem, invasive plants are a serious environmental problem all over the world. So if a homeowner can "do their part" with simple plant substitutions, they should.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
But my original comment was just that you should talk to the NEIGHBOR who actually has the invasive.
After all, people plant things having no idea what they are...

I totally agree with your comment above.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
I gotta say my favorite time of year is spring in the Carolinas seeing and smelling all that beautiful Wisteria everywhere. Right now it's Honeysuckle, it's everywhere in the woods behind my house. i love them both.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
This thread serves a purpose for educating people. I best not get up on my soap box about the flora for fauna that has been dumped on FL. I do giggle still about the time I planted okra in a garden in a mid west state and the farmer I was working for was afraid it would take over his fields. Hard enough to grow it much less it go wild.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM

111 posts, read 326,222 times
My original comment didn't say I have "one neighbor" with invasive plants. I am good with my next door neighbors and we work together on our gardens, asking each other before we plant or remove things. I was, however, a bit outraged after just hearing that a next door neighbor of my neighborhood friend had planted bamboo directly on the property line and then got hostile when my friend asked her to move/contain it. Almost every single garden center anywhere is selling invasive pests as we speak. And yes, I've actually asked my favorite garden center to stop selling invasives.

So if you want me to rephrase... I am asking EVERYONE to research native and invasive plants and avoiding causing problems. I think that everyone should consider EVERYONE everywhere to be a neighbor and be considerate.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:47 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
My neighbor mentioned planting bamboo in a back corner of her yard. It would have been right across the fence from my compost pile! I threatened her with death if she did! LOL We're good friends.

She does have a mimosa, though, and unfortunately, so do I. It came up along the back of the yard and my husband wanted it to stay because they had a huge one in their back yard when he was growing up.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Mint is my current favorite plant I love to hate because it cannot be controlled. Even if contained in a planter pot, mint will sneak out surreptitiously and into the surrounding ground, leeching its way far and wide overtaking everything.

If I had a neighbor who planted mint, I'd spray the neighbors yard with 2-4-5 T in the dark of night. Might spray the neighbor too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden