Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times

Advertisements

Three of my grandparents are from Arkansas, the fourth from Sallisaw, Oklahoma (short distance west of Ft. Smith). Two of them claim 1/4 Cherokee ancestry. I just sent off a genetic testing sample yesterday - I'm curious to know if its true or just family mythology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 PM

95 posts, read 171,010 times
My husbands line has Cherokee from AR. Harlow and Standlee.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 PM

8 posts, read 15,907 times
http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/...ee_Removal.pdf

This includes details of a Cherokee Reservation set up in Arkansas by the Federal government in 1815.

The Trial of Tears went through Arkansas, as well, and many just stayed there rather than go any further. I personally know Cherokee families who's ancestors left the Trail of Tears and went to stay with friends in Nebraska, decided it was too cold after one winter, and then moved to either Missouri or Arkansas. It's a myth that they weren't allowed to "leave" the trail.

My great-great-grandmother was half Cherokee, the daughter of a German indian agent. She left Oklahoma at age 14 to get married to a German man she'd fallen in love with, and they lived in Missouri the rest of their lives. The Cherokee were given supplies before setting out on the Trail, including dry goods staples, blankets, and guns in good working order (if they didn't have them already) so they could hunt for their own food on the way. The Trail happened over time, not all at once, and farming families were allowed to harvest their crops before they left. The last year this was done (I'm drawing on blank on the year), the harvest didn't happen til October and ended up being a brutal winter.

I remember going to see Unto These Hills in Cherokee, NC when I was in high school, and my mother becoming so angry over how manufactured it was for the tourist trade (from the real truth) she nearly walked out during the performance---which would have been considered the heighth of rudeness.

Good luck in your search. Sometimes you have to take a break when you hit a wall (in genealogy information). You'll find it eventually.

Last edited by karlsoncreek; 01-20-2014 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-21-2014, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
My mom's stepmother was a Ross, part Cherokee from the Eureka Springs area.

I found this site that might interest you:

Cherokee Tribal Archives Project

Perhaps this the start of a genealogical journey for you. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i had relative that was massacred by cheokee, does that count

Old 01-26-2014, 02:02 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
My wife's family went into OK, came back to the Mena, AR area and were Cherokee. Sill Cherokee descendants living in the area.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,507 times
My grandfather died when my father was five he had changed his name to shorten it but the name was loud robert Jacobs .My father says he was 1/2 cherokee and that he is 16th and I'm an 8th he says are tribe originated from Arkansas and I would love to know more about the tribe and be apart of something

Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The home of the Cherokee Nation is in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. This is where the records are stored, and where the ancestors stories are told.

The book, The Trail of Tears, is an excellent introduction to the history of the Cherokee people.
Be sure to look into the other Cherokee Tribes; while the Cherokee Nation is the largest of the federally-recognized Cherokee tribes, it is still only one of three. There's also the United Keetoowah Cherokee Tribe (also in Oklahoma) and the Eastern Band of Cherokee in North Carolina. I'm sure the other two have some important records and stories as well.

On a side note, I wonder how well the Cherokee ancestry that some claim exists in their family line is documented. I know that if your family wasn't within Oklahoma at the time that the Dawes Roll was completed (or if your family wasn't in western North Carolina by the time the Baker Roll was closed for purposes of membership in the Eastern Band), then you're not going to be eligible for membership in the Cherokee Nation (and if your link to a Cherokee ancestor is pretty distant, you're also likely not eligible for membership in the other two Cherokee tribes as they have higher blood quantum requirements). Still, whether you're eligible for membership or not, its interesting to know your roots. I do, however, find it interesting that so many people claim Cherokee ancestry from way back when, due to the fact that there weren't exactly a whole lot of Cherokee within the "Nation."

Old 12-31-2014, 04:01 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel l jacobs View Post
My grandfather died when my father was five he had changed his name to shorten it but the name was loud robert Jacobs .My father says he was 1/2 cherokee and that he is 16th and I'm an 8th he says are tribe originated from Arkansas and I would love to know more about the tribe and be apart of something
Great if you can verify this nugget of family history. As far as membership in a particular Cherokee tribe is concerned, however, see my earlier post in this thread.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 PM

322 posts, read 707,418 times
The Cherokees had many rolls, Pre,During, and Post Removal. Many people only talk about the "final" rolls. Many Cherokee were listed on rolls before removal happened. Even if ancestors did not sign a final rolls, may often be found on various other Cherokee rolls.

Eastern Rolls
Reservation Rolls of 1817
Emigration Rolls of 1817
Henderson Roll of 1835
Mullay Roll of 1848
Siler Roll of 1851
Chapman Roll of 1852
Swetland Roll of 1869
Hester Roll of 1883
Churchill Roll of 1908
Baker Roll of 1924 - Final Rolls
Eastern portion of the Guion Miller Roll of 1909

Western Rolls (Cherokee Nation and Keetoowah
1851 Old Settler Roll
1852 Drennen Roll
1898 Dawes Roll - Final Roll
1909 Guion Miller West Roll
1851 Siler Roll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy