Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times

Advertisements

That's an interesting thought. Does that tell you of your country origins though? I don't see how that would tell what my geographical heritage would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
If you can afford the cost, then have your DNA analyzed. Like Oprah Winfrey did and reported the results on her show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
That's an interesting thought. Does that tell you of your country origins though? I don't see how that would tell what my geographical heritage would be.
I don't know if it will tell you specifically what country but it can at least narrow it down to regions. Emmitt Smith took the DNA test on the show "Who Do You Think You Are?" and it was able to tell him what part of Africa he was from - I don't think it narrowed it down a specific African country but I can't be sure.

What part of the world we are from is a part of our DNA - after all, location/our ancestors location determines what physical features and characteristics we have and that is a part of our DNA.

You don't have to do the DNA test through Ancestry.com but this will give you good info on what you get out of the test(s): DNA Testing by Ancestry.com reveals Ancestry and Genealogy

Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
At times, people ask me what my origins are, to which I reply, "I don't know" Now, this is kind of embarassing for me since everyone else seems to know if they are part-Irish, Scottish, French, Native American, Italian, etc, etc.
But, I have no idea of my heritage. I am black, so people assume I am of African descent. But, I am pretty sure there could been dark-skinned people from other parts of the world besides Africa. My question is, how do I begin to find out what my heritage is? One parent is deceased, and the other does not have any helpful information. And my parents had me at an older age, so many of my parents' relatives are gone.

I'm not sure of those geneology sites and how how reliable they are. Any thing I can do??
If you sport supercurly/kinky hair, your nose appears broad and short, and your skin is caramel to prune colored, then you are highly likely to be from African origins.
This is neither embarrassing or demeaning. Africa is the well spring of humanity from the beginning of time. EVERYONE'S ancestors came from there either a million or two years ago. African-Americans, specifically as a group, have bloodlines that also include European and Native American. We are a tribe that is uniquely American and the culture we evolved continues to inspire and influence the world. We are blood relatives to virtually every Western European, West African, and American Indian nation by an accident of history.
That being said you could also be related to any Asian, Latin, or Caribbean whose past or recent ancestors touched America. Whatever you find in your search be inspired that you are the result of complex historical events, and be proud that you are a thinking, feeling human being.
Personally I have always been proud of my African, Scots, Irish, Cherokee, Yakhi, Choctaw, English, Jewish heritage. My complex makeup and my widely varied looking family members have always reminded me to feel a connection to every person I encounter.

Last edited by tcrackly; 06-16-2011 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks, I am not ashamed or embarassed if my roots are African, but I wonder if there are other countries that are part of my heritage also. There are black people that have European roots as well as African, etc. It would just be nice to know my complete heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
If you sport supercurly/kinky hair, your nose appears broad and short, and your skin is caramel to prune colored, then you are highly likely to be from African origins.
This is neither embarrassing or demeaning. Africa is the well spring of humanity from the beginning of time. EVERYONE'S ancestors came from there either a million or two years ago. African-Americans, specifically as a group, have bloodlines that also include European and Native American. We are a tribe that is uniquely American and the culture we evolved continues to inspire and influence the world. We are blood relatives to virtually every Western European, West African, and American Indian nation by an accident of history.
That being said you could also be related to any Asian, Latin, or Caribbean whose past or recent ancestors touched America. Whatever you find in your search be inspired that you are the result of complex historical events, and be proud that you are a thinking, feeling human being.
Personally I have always been proud of my African, Scots, Irish, Cherokee, Yakhi, Choctaw, English, Jewish heritage. My complex makeup and my widely varied looking family members have always reminded me to feel a connection to every person I encounter.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 AM

thanks for the info. I may look into that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't know if it will tell you specifically what country but it can at least narrow it down to regions. Emmitt Smith took the DNA test on the show "Who Do You Think You Are?" and it was able to tell him what part of Africa he was from - I don't think it narrowed it down a specific African country but I can't be sure.

What part of the world we are from is a part of our DNA - after all, location/our ancestors location determines what physical features and characteristics we have and that is a part of our DNA.

You don't have to do the DNA test through Ancestry.com but this will give you good info on what you get out of the test(s): DNA Testing by Ancestry.com reveals Ancestry and Genealogy

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
I believe his ancestry (at least some) went back to Benin, and he even went back there to see the area from which he originated.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I believe his ancestry (at least some) went back to Benin, and he even went back there to see the area from which he originated.
He did but I'm just always aware of the fact that modern boundaries are not always the same in history - so they may tell you "you're from an area which is now mostly Benin" or something like that but the original region may have expanded beyond just that country - the borders may have been very different or there may have been no defined borders at all. It's important to keep that in mind when doing genealogy research.

For example, here's a quote from the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine:
American football legend Emmitt Smith's slave roots | BBC Who Do You Think You Are Magazine

Quote:
While the paper records could not get Emmitt back to his ancestors in Africa, his DNA could tell him that he did indeed have at least a few white relatives in his family tree, and that his African ancestry from both his mother and father traced back to the area around Benin, on Africa’s “Slave Coast.” His emotional trip to an African village there really completed his journey of discovery.
Note they say "to the area AROUND Benin", not necessarily Benin itself. The region they are referring to probably spilled over into neighboring countries too.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
He did but I'm just always aware of the fact that modern boundaries are not always the same in history - so they may tell you "you're from an area which is now mostly Benin" or something like that but the original region may have expanded beyond just that country - the borders may have been very different or there may have been no defined borders at all. It's important to keep that in mind when doing genealogy research.

For example, here's a quote from the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine:
American football legend Emmitt Smith's slave roots | BBC Who Do You Think You Are Magazine

Note they say "to the area AROUND Benin", not necessarily Benin itself. The region they are referring to probably spilled over into neighboring countries too.
Of course. There is modern-day Benin, and there is what used to be Dahomey, and there is the area near the Bight of Benin where the Fon and Yoruba people live, which is now part of Benin, Togo and Nigeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy