Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 AM

260 posts, read 947,099 times

Advertisements

Ok...so I'm at a cross roads..My husband was adopted when he was little (2-3 yrs old) by a wonderful family that raised him to be a great man. But, he still would like to find his biological parents, but specially his brother and sister, because he was adopted into a family where he was the only child.
What if, I got his full birth name, birth day and birth city. We don't seem to be able to get a hit on his birth name at all and I am certain that if we did, we could probably find his peeps.
I mean, his birth name came up in his social security records when he joined the military. I mean, he had lost his card, so he went to get a new one and he saw his birth name listed in his records as a previously used name. So why is it so difficult to find his mother's name then? Any ideas what I can do?
We went to the PA vital records people, but since it was an adoption and they are a closed records state, we couldn't get any information because the mother has not sign a release (no use in mentioning that PA was an open records state till like the mid 80s so the woman probably don't even know that she has to file that)...please, any help would be greatly appreciated. He was born in Philadelphia, PA 07/27/1975.
Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,571 times
Quote:
What if, I got his full birth name, birth day and birth city. We don't seem to be able to get a hit on his birth name at all and I am certain that if we did, we could probably find his peeps.
Are you saying that you do have his full birth name, as well as the date and city? If you do, and you want to post the name here, there are quite a few people here who are very good at searching and ferreting out information. We all seem to use different sources so you get the advantage of many people searching in many different ways for tidbits that may help you. Also, if you want to start a thread putting his birth name in the title, then anyone -siblings or parents- searching for him will be sent to this forum when they google the name. Do not give up on this forum as time passes, though... if you read through the threads you will see people coming forward years after the original post searching for them. Keep checking back periodically, and keep a current email address in your profile/contact info. You never know when someone will start searching for him. If you have his birth name, I assume you've already googled it to see if it comes up on any forums where someone may be searching for him?

Right now, your prime source of info are his adoptive parents. Any information they can give, such as the agency they got him through, was he living in a group home or with his birth parents at the time, can they show him the adoption paperwork they have, what were they told about his birth parents and the situation... anything could be helpful in his search. For instance, if he was in a group home, his birth parent(s) may have left information with them, or gone back to them later with contact info, in hopes of finding him someday. Or his siblings may have contacted them and left their contact information. His adoptive aunts, uncles and parents' friends may remember helpful things, too.

Google terms such as "adoptees searching for birth parents" and explore the results. One that comes up is adoption.com which has a reunion registry. Also google "national adoption reunion registry" and see what you get. Maybe his siblings and/or birth parents are searching, too, and joining registries may help them find each other. I can't vouch for any of the websites or agencies, having never used them, but you can sort through them and quickly tell which are on the up and up and which are money scams.

If you have questions or would like help from the good people on this forum, just ask. They are an amazing group who enjoy solving puzzles and bringing families back together.

Edit:
Quote:
(no use in mentioning that PA was an open records state till like the mid 80s
It seems you could make the legal argument that since the records were open at the time of his adoption, he is entitled to them. No harm in seeking a consultation with a PA attorney.

Last edited by hcgCali; 06-27-2008 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Thank you so much for replying, but I did post a thread about him awhile back and didn't get anywhere...I'm just confused and a little discouraged cause it seems that even though I have a lot of information about his birth records I can't get the name of his mother or father. I guess I just don't really know where to start.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Ok, I went through all 98 of your previous postings to find the name. It's not in the thread title, as I suggested, so when I googled the name this site did not come up. Posting his name in the title would help his birth family find him, if they are looking for him.

What I'm trying to tell you, is, instead of focusing on finding his mother when there is no way to find her name, focus on putting his name out there where she or his siblings can find him. Use the info you do have instead of getting frustrated over what you don't have. Her name is the end result, not the starting point, and you have to trace backwards using what you know.

Have you contacted an attorney about petitioning to open the records? Have you registered at adoption sites? How did you learn he has siblings? You say you have a lot of information, but if you don't post it somewhere or register him at the adoption search sites, nothing is going to happen.

Be aware that, in cases where several siblings are put up for adoption at the same time, that's different from a young single mother giving up an infant... it very well could have been because of the mother's death. Unless she was dead or incarcerated, in the 1970's it would have been more common for the children to be placed in the foster care system, not put up for adoption. Searching Pennsylvania obituaries and ssi death index for his last name during a timeframe around the date of his adoption is another area to check.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM

838 posts, read 2,241,340 times
For anyone who might want to help, I looked up the previous post. His name is James Allen Taylor. He was born July 1975 in Philadelphia, PA. His mom had an older girl and a younger boy than her husband. He was about 2-3 yrs old when he was left at the orphanage.
Don't know if anyone has access to it or not, but I have helped out in previous cases like this by looking up the birth listings in the newspaper. Of course, it would help if this person will give the exact birthdate. I'm in Florida and do not have access to Philadelphia papers.
Anyway, there you go. The rest of the story.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:32 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,068 times
I tried Google and put in his name, date of birth and place of birth and got nothing. Perhaps if you start a thread and use his name in the Title it will help as the previous person recommended. It sure couldn't hurt!

Try Ancestry.com and see if you get anything.

Good luck

Dunroven

Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I really appreciate it. I will work on these adn see where I get.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan13202 View Post
Don't know if anyone has access to it or not, but I have helped out in previous cases like this by looking up the birth listings in the newspaper.
Hi, thank you for the suggestion. His birthday is July 27 1975 and he is 32 yrs. old. What do you mean by looking up the birth listings in the newspapers? I thought only rich people did that, LOL. I am going up to Philadelphia next week, so I think I might be able to do a bit of searching, but then again...I would need some help figuring out where to start. I do know that someone mentioned maybe getting the birth medical records from the hospital that he was born in Philadelphia, but where in the world can I find a list of hospitals in Philadelphia that delivered babies in 1975?
Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
What do you mean by looking up the birth listings in the newspapers? I thought only rich people did that, LOL.
Not the private announcements people pay for... the vital statistics. Many newspapers print a weekly or monthly list of births the hospitals send them. They are brief and usually give the birthdate, sex and name of parents.

Try googling "Philadelpia newspapers"

Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Ok, so I tried to call one of the hospitals that were back in Philadelphia PA in the 70s but hit a huge brick wall. I was told that in order to look up the birth medical records for the child, I would need the mother's name, which I don't have. I had them look with the baby's last name, but they are saying nothing comes up under Taylor in 1975. I don't know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy