Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Charles Bronson is of Lithuanian Tatar descent.
My mother had slightly slanted eyes. She said some kids in school back in Lithuania used to tease her about it. She said it was quite possible there may have been a far distant Tatar in her family tree.
Otherwise mom looked very much the blonde Lithuanian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
I strongly suggest that the frequent visitors to this thread avail themselves of the PBS program Finding Your Roots hosted by Prof. Skip Gates.

Finding Your Roots | PBS

Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
My Polish grandmother was very Asian looking. It's the Genghis Kahn effect.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Yes, my mums sister has asian eyes with pitch black hair too. My mum was born with these eyes but they went when she grew older. Is it possible that we have some native american ancestry there? I don't think its asian because in Northern Ireland there wasn't really any asian contact.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes, my mums sister has asian eyes with pitch black hair too. My mum was born with these eyes but they went when she grew older. Is it possible that we have some native american ancestry there? I don't think its asian because in Northern Ireland there wasn't really any asian contact
This is one of the places where genealogy really gets interesting... remember, it only takes one individual from a different population group to bring that group's DNA into your bloodline line.

And if history has anything to teach us, it is that men and women have been crossing every kind of line there is from the beginning of time. We are, literally, sexy beasts. The latest DNA research has shown that while the Denisovans and Neanderthals were two other species of human which are now extinct, a bit of genetic material from each of their lines is now in our blood. One theory, still controversial, has it that the gene for red hair may have come from the Neanderthals.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesAnna View Post
I got her DNA results yesterday! I had posted out of curiosity before the results came back. She is identified 70 percent with Finnish and 30 percent with Altaian. Altaian are Asian looking (I think) . It is crazy, because we always expected Native American, considering the family are from Appalachia for many generations. Now I am thinking , Appalachian regions are not as much Scottish/German mixed as people think, but ALOT of Russian/Eastern European/Asian. My grandmother did not have a ANY percentage of Scottish, Irish, German or English.

Her genetics also had traits in common with Serbian , Albanian and Polish...But mostly just Finnish and Altaian.
My family look very EuroAsian and Russian, so I find it very funny, especially considering I get asked if I am Russian everyday of my life and always thought I was a Russian looking Scottish or German person

After reading a little bit about the Altay mountains, they seem genetically related to Native Americans or atleast Eskimos! I've joked she was an Eskimo, never expecting her to actually be anything close.

The family members are quite surprised, considering they couldn't pick the Altay mountains or Finland out on a map.

Alatia is NE of Kazahktan and NW of Mongolia. In wiipedia, it does no translate to English, but a map is there. Highly possible that many, many years back, her ancestors crossed the land bridge to Alaska.

Look up the Ainu of Japan. They are not oriental, but more like this heritage - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people
Ainu are also in Russia

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I've heard Scandinavians have scoops on the back of some front teeth.
This is a feature exclusive to certain Asians and to Native Americans. Curious that Scandinavians have such teeth.

The Ainu are believed to be Australoid, though these days there's a lot of Japanese admixture, and in Russia--Tunguso-Manchurian admixture. But if you look at the oldest photos, you can see there are some Australoid features.

It would be great if the OP could post a photo of her grandmother. If the OP's still around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy