Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times

Advertisements

Ok, i've been looking into this for a long time and have now decided i want to get a DNA test.

I don't know what one I am doing though. I am interested in both families for various reasons but my main aim is to find the origin of my parental family. I would also like to find out if maybe I have different ancestries that I don't know about, there are some rare diseases in my mums family and alot of features are rare also. My aunt has black hair which is blue tinted naturally! We also have quite high cheekbones.

But i'm thinking I can't do that as a YDNA test so what test could I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
I like the 23andme.com. am a female. it looks at my snp sequences and full chromosomes. looked at all chromosome mixtures. offers risk for diseases. and has some family finder function. as well as possible inherited traits. it gives % of ethnic make up.

Talked my male cousin on my dad's side into doing familytreedna.com for the YDNA. We did find the bio father of my illegitimate ggrandfather so it had value on the y side. father to father to father.only

My Mom did the mtDNA and I didn't get much from it except her haplogroup which was a group of people in an area around albania and turkey who were farmers and lived 20000 yrs ago.

so it depends upon your needs. but good luck.

I was relieved to find that some illness in my family do not have the genetic variant for them in my snps/chromosome. not to say i don't have genetic predisposition to some illnesses, it was just good to rule out others.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,325 times
There’s a really nice comparison chart on the ISOGG website-

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_...mparison_chart

I did the 23andme test and was satisfied with the results.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
I just wanna find out my haplo group, my percentage ancestries (by country) and my fathers roots.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Ok, i've been looking into this for a long time and have now decided i want to get a DNA test.

I don't know what one I am doing though. I am interested in both families for various reasons but my main aim is to find the origin of my parental family. I would also like to find out if maybe I have different ancestries that I don't know about, there are some rare diseases in my mums family and alot of features are rare also. My aunt has black hair which is blue tinted naturally! We also have quite high cheekbones.

But i'm thinking I can't do that as a YDNA test so what test could I do?
I don't know enough about the ones available to recommend, but I did have the one done through Ancestry.com and thought it a complete waste of money. They only give you a country approximation, and only screen against the Ancestry members. So, in your shoes I would eliminate that one.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,325 times
In addition to a map view, you can also view 23andme results in chromosome view. It shows the contribution from each parent for each chromosome. I know the X chromosome is from my mom (since I’m a guy and only have one X) but I’m guessing the other chromosomes are mixed up (mom’s is not necessarily above or below dad’s). If your parents participate, then there is another way to view the information, I believe. They also give you health information as well. Learned that I’m a carrier for hemochromatosis (on chromosome 6) which is supposed to be relatively common in Irish people.
Attached Thumbnails
Which DNA test-chromosomes-copy.png  

Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,818,121 times
I did the Family Finder test from Familytreedna.com. I should be getting my results back in mid-May. I'm pretty excited about it, since I was adopted. And because I was adopted through a private adoption agency, they don't have to give me my birth parent's information.

I was thinking about this the other day, actually. With DNA tests becoming more and more common, it'll become easier and easier for adopted kids to find their families. Growing up, I knew lots of kids that were adopted, and even though our lives were good, we would still sometimes wonder who our biological parents were. Even if I don't get many matches, I'm still excited about knowing the breakdown of my ethnicity.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,602 times
I've done the 23andme.com DNA test as well and think it's quite good, it splits your ancestry into different regions around the world, and for Europeans it's more specific splitting your ancestry into Northern, Southern, Eastern European and Ashkenazi as well as further sub-regions such as British, French, Iberian, Italian etc. For Middle Easterners/North Africans, sub-Saharan Africans and East or South Asians there isn't any general locational breakup. It also provides useful information on your risk of certain diseases, and whether your a carrier of various genetic illnesses. Also has some other interesting things like your Neanderthal genetic component, different traits, and a relative finder which compares you to other people on the site, for instance there are a number of people on my profile who are confirmed 3rd to 6th cousins, mostly in the northeast US.

The European side of my ancestry (Scottish born father) is about 98% of Northern European origin (mostly British/Irish and French/German origin) I was surprised there wasn't more specific Southern European or Scandinavian influence.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't know enough about the ones available to recommend, but I did have the one done through Ancestry.com and thought it a complete waste of money. They only give you a country approximation, and only screen against the Ancestry members. So, in your shoes I would eliminate that one.
Ancestry.com now gives you your raw data, which you can put through GEDmatch and Promothease to get lots more info

Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 PM

16 posts, read 26,394 times
23andMe is definitely the way to go for a good overall package. But if you're more interested in deep ancestry like Y-DNA or mtDNA for example, then Family Tree DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy