Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
this is just my opinion, but i notice in real life and it show up on this forum and many other forum, that people want to have native american blood or viking blood. Its like they go out looking for it, they get all giggly over it. i seen it growing up some neighborhood kid tells every body that grandpas was cherokee, choctaw, or blackfoot, never a minor peaceful tribe. same with viking. Now the past eight years, everybody wants afrikan american blood.

I just don't understand, i would not want none of them, and if i had some, i wouldnt tell anybody. like the viking they only goal was to rape pillage, enslave, steal, so why would anybody want to be related to a thug
There have been a number of threads and posts on here about people who claim to have Cherokee blood, and it's usually the more specific, "My great-grandmother was a Cherokee princess!" Cherokees didn't have princesses, and it's particularly odd that I've heard this all my life from people I grew up with, and I don't recall there being any sort of Cherokee invasion in New Jersey history.

I've often wondered if there was some sort of story in the old days that parents told their kids about a Cherokee princess and the kids believed it was real and passed down the story. It's like a bizarre urban legend that's not exactly urban. Even Oprah claimed to have Indian blood, and when they did her DNA there was none to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:18 PM

Another block my sister came upon was that my mother had said that one of her great-grandmother's maiden name was Lucing. My sister searched and could not find anyone in the area with that name. Then one day she was at a cemetery photographing some other old family tombstones, and as she left the graveyard she noticed a headstone that read "Leusink" and she said it out loud...then turned the car around and went over and started to read the names on those graves. She'd found a whole branch of the family that had been missing because of a misspelling.

We also had a cousin of my grandfather's listed on the war memorial in our little town because he bravely gave his life in WWI.

A couple of years ago the town did some research after deciding to rename town streets after all of our town's war heroes. We discovered that Cousin Frank did join the Army, but he died of the flu in Boston. Never left the country. He was the only one from town who died while in the service at the time of WWI, though, so his name made the memorial.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-01-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This happened to the movie actor, Jack Nicholson. He was raised to believe that his real mother was instead his older sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Also happened to Bobby Darin.
And some woman I worked with. She did not know her oldest sister was really her mother until her mother (really her grandmother) died and she read the obituary the older sisters had prepared and wanted to know why she wasn't listed as a daughter. The other sisters all assumed that their mother had told her somewhere along the way.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:12 PM

322 posts, read 707,968 times
Many rumors of "Indain" ancestors or "Cherokee" grandmothers are what is called, "Indian Blood Myth Stories." They usually entail fabulous silly stories lines to explain away why someone cannot document it or prove lineage. Exception can be found (rape, adoption, etc) but when used by people by the hordes, it's just a good line to use why someone cannot provide any sound evdience or grounds for claiming such ancestry authentically.

For example, someone clams they are "Cherokee" at least to me, I ask, "Which band of Cheorkee?" The glaze comes over their face. This Cherokee grandma is claimed fullblood that does not know which tribe she came from? Hmmmm. As if Cherokee people were floating all over the place waiting to have sex with everyone. I had a gentleman tell me, his Cherokee grandmother was on Dawes Rolls but came from Tennessee. I guess he did not get the memo, Dawes incldued Cherokee removed to OK between 1838 and 1839. Cherokee in North Carolina Qualla are on the Baker rolls.

The more you learn Cherokee history, you will spot all the silly stories.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:07 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
^

Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
Many rumors of "Indain" ancestors or "Cherokee" grandmothers are what is called, "Indian Blood Myth Stories." They usually entail fabulous silly stories lines to explain away why someone cannot document it or prove lineage. Exception can be found (rape, adoption, etc) but when used by people by the hordes, it's just a good line to use why someone cannot provide any sound evdience or grounds for claiming such ancestry authentically.

For example, someone clams they are "Cherokee" at least to me, I ask, "Which band of Cheorkee?" The glaze comes over their face. This Cherokee grandma is claimed fullblood that does not know which tribe she came from? Hmmmm. As if Cherokee people were floating all over the place waiting to have sex with everyone. I had a gentleman tell me, his Cherokee grandmother was on Dawes Rolls but came from Tennessee. I guess he did not get the memo, Dawes incldued Cherokee removed to OK between 1838 and 1839. Cherokee in North Carolina Qualla are on the Baker rolls.

The more you learn Cherokee history, you will spot all the silly stories.
I know someone who claims Cherokee ancestry through family stories. She and both her parents were from Brooklyn. She has an Irish surname. She's also claimed Jewish and Greek ancestry when someone mentions those two ethnicities. The one thing she's NEVER claimed is black and/or Latino ancestry, but that's what she looks like to me, a black and European mixed race person. Still, you can't tell just by looking at someone what ethnicity they are. However, I recently learned her late mother's name--the first and last names are both solidly Spanish. I'm pretty sure my Cherokee/Jewish/Greek acquaintance is really Puerto Rican and Irish but for some reason doesn't want to say so.

When I was growing up, it seemed everyone I knew in my little northern New Jersey town claimed to have Indian ancestry, and of course, it's almost always Cherokee. Exactly how their ancestors, most of whom came to NJ from Europe two or three generations ago, met up and mated with all these Cherokees wasn't explained.

I have one branch of ancestors who have been in the US, mostly New England, since before the Revolution. I have no Indian blood in me--not even stories or speculation of Indian ancestors from the tribes that actually lived in New England or New Jersey, yet somehow all these people whose ancestors arrived in New Jersey long after most of the indigenous people were driven out or absorbed have Cherokee ancestors. Yeah, OK.

I wonder if, a few generations back, there was some sort of story that parents told their kids about a Cherokee grandmother that somehow started to be taken as fact. It's just weird that so many people believe this to be true about their family.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I ..

When I was growing up, it seemed everyone I knew in my little northern New Jersey town claimed to have Indian ancestry, and of course, it's almost always Cherokee. Exactly how their ancestors, most of whom came to NJ from Europe two or three generations ago, met up and mated with all these Cherokees wasn't explained.

I have one branch of ancestors who have been in the US, mostly New England, since before the Revolution. I have no Indian blood in me--not even stories or speculation of Indian ancestors from the tribes that actually lived in New England or New Jersey, yet somehow all these people whose ancestors arrived in New Jersey long after most of the indigenous people were driven out or absorbed have Cherokee ancestors. Yeah, OK.

I wonder if, a few generations back, there was some sort of story that parents told their kids about a Cherokee grandmother that somehow started to be taken as fact. It's just weird that so many people believe this to be true about their family.
This just about sums it up. Many southerners like to claim Indian heritage, too. Though as we're seeing with DNA testing, almost none of them has any.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:29 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
This just about sums it up. Many southerners like to claim Indian heritage, too. Though as we're seeing with DNA testing, almost none of them has any.
/raises hand. Basically, don't believe everything your grandparents have said about family history.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Not adding anything, but had to post to get re-subscribed to this thread. I started it with a different title, but apparently when the Mods changed the title, I got unsubscribed. (My title was "Sometimes Parents are full of S*** About Family History"

Old 12-26-2013, 04:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Parents, grandparents, and we ... hand down stories as we think we heard them. Errors are understandable.

I can't tell you how many years I was certain that the obituary of a x-great grandfather said he died in Jefferson (in 1869). I searched for years to try and figure out why he was there ... when he'd lived, and his son lived, 30-40 miles away. I tried to figure out who he could have been living with. And couldn't. Then one day I reread the obit, which I'd found as a very new genealogist, it didn't say that at all. It did say that the first vote he cast was for Jefferson.

I just got it mixed up ... and that's what happened with our ancestors. They heard something, and repeated what they thought they heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy