Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I also enjoyed Valerie Bertinelli's episode.

One thing caught my attention ... she used newspapers.com to search for what may have happened to an ancestor -- does ancestry.com own that site?
I wondered that too. Last year when they did Christina Applegate, they found newspaper articles for her on Genealogybank.com.

I really enjoyed the Valerie Bertinelli episode too! They are getting away from the "one ancestor" theme, and again featured multiple ancestors in both her maternal and paternal lines. And her traveling was relevant, not gratuitous. Wish all the episodes followed this format!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Valerie Bertinelli's episode is the best one so far this season imo. Doesn't hurt that she's still cute and is really down to earth. Great show.
Absolutely agree. Her natural, ebullient "let's move things along quickly now" energy likely helped in the editing process, allowing the producers to use more footage than with others, who speak more slowly and pause to consider things. I loved how she was able to bring both sides of her family together. Wish they could manage this with everyone!

I've often thought, though, in a kind of defense of those who only focus on one ancestor, that maybe that's the only "interesting" one the researchers could find. I remember when this show debuted, and Lisa Kudrow went on the Today show to promote it. She talked a little about each anchor's background, but when it came to Matt Lauer, she laughed and said something like, "Sorry, we couldn't find anything of interest in your background." So that may be why they sometimes have to do the one-ancestor focus.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Ishe used newspapers.com to search for what may have happened to an ancestor --?
Is this a free site, or are they all paid sites now?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,466 times
i watched season one. the celebrities were more diverse. anyway, i like hl gates finding our roots more. they actually break down the percentage of what different ethnicities each person has. i lol'd when michelle rodriguez found out she was mostly european. she was pissed. lmao.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I liked the Brooke shields one.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
Why can't they do non celebreties? Some of us have pretty interesting ancestors.
Don't know much about my mom's side in Hungary, but daddy's side is pretty interesting.Sure some of you have relatives that were important in one way or the other.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Okay, watching Minnie Driver episode...
So jealous of Ancestry UK site, when you find a person in a search, you can then click on "find marriage" and do a piggy-back search for the person's marriages. Also, it seems like their UK site has info on living people. She was able to go forward in her tree and find a living cousin. I guess the Brits aren't as concerned with ID theft as we are?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
I thought finding the living cousin was through electoral registers? aka voter registration? Because of the way they cut away and/or didn't show the full screen it may not be part of ancestry and may have been another source. That was my guess on it anyway...but I'm not in the UK.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:06 PM

So I guess the Minnie Driver episode is NEVER going to show up on On-Demand????

I always watched the episodes Wed night, then again via On-Demand Saturday mornings, to catch the details I may have missed. It's been two Saturdays now, and the Minnie Driver episode, the season finale, never showed up. I'm on Comcast on the East coast, if that matters.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:17 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
So I guess the Minnie Driver episode is NEVER going to show up on On-Demand????

I always watched the episodes Wed night, then again via On-Demand Saturday mornings, to catch the details I may have missed. It's been two Saturdays now, and the Minnie Driver episode, the season finale, never showed up. I'm on Comcast on the East coast, if that matters.
I can't find it anywhere, either. Apparently they "borrowed" that one from BBC One, and it's not part of the regular package, so we don't have national access to that. Really ticks me off, because I enjoy this show so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy