Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

We haven't forgotten. Many of us in this forum discussed that show extensively.

It was a mostly-good show, but its negatives (my opinion, not necessarily the other posters) were:
--Too quickly going through each person (it was literally like Antiques Roadshow)
--Too much focus on finding "famous" ancestors (I personally don't care about the famous, just the interesting).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:54 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I watch the show, but I have zero interest in the celebrities. To me it's about the family history that gets uncovered. I don't think people who are into "celebs" are the target audience for WDYTYA, it's people with an interest in genealogy. I hope the creators of the show don't make it too celebrity-focused.

I was a little let down with last night's episode, after last week's incredible story. They seem to focus a whole hour on one ancestor instead of a few of them. With a woman who served time in prison in the 1800s for murder of her abusive homicidal husband, and then rebuilt her life, yes, that deserves a whole hour. But a dishonest, family-abandoning, criminal ancestor? Nah, they could have spent maybe half the episode on him and the rest on other ancestors.
More than that Tracy -- I wish they would show the person DOING the work, instead of it being handed to them. It would show people this is absolutely do-able, and teach people about the different resources out there and maybe teach some old dogs a new trick or two.

When Jesse googled his great grandfather and found that article, I was amazed. Amazed that no one had ever thought of that before. I mean -- DUH.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
I really like the show. I have to agree, it makes doing genealogy look waaaay too easy!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Would anyone else like to see a whole other series spawn out of this show?

Wouldn't it be cool if they took one very interesting family tree, and created an entire series focused on learning about fascinating people in that tree? Each episode could dig deeper or move onto the next fascinating person down the line. The entire series would kind of mesh together major events or ancestors, leading up to the season finale that would end with the current living person.

They wouldn't have to be famous people in the tree, just ancestors with a great story to "tell."

They could do a new family tree each season.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Would anyone else like to see a whole other series spawn out of this show?

Wouldn't it be cool if they took one very interesting family tree, and created an entire series focused on learning about fascinating people in that tree? Each episode could dig deeper or move onto the next fascinating person down the line. The entire series would kind of mesh together major events or ancestors, leading up to the season finale that would end with the current living person.

They wouldn't have to be famous people in the tree, just ancestors with a great story to "tell."

They could do a new family tree each season.

I would watch that. I'd be glued. No celebrity would be necessary, just a regular person. But not like that other PBS show that was on briefly, that seemed to portray stories with a political agenda. I don't want celebrities, I don't want an agenda, I just want an interesting genealogy journey.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I really like the show. I have to agree, it makes doing genealogy look waaaay too easy!
Agreed. It makes it look like people can walk in and command the staff to do all the work for them. Not something genealogy librarians are likely to enjoy dealing with.

Also I noticed this season that sometimes they are identifying the researcher's employer, saying what university or what have you the person they're speaking to is from. And it doesn't always match the place. They may be in the Midwest, but the researcher is a prof from California. In other words, they're using people chums of the producers know or refer them to, not necessarily the "boots on the ground" at the location they're researching.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I would watch that. I'd be glued. No celebrity would be necessary, just a regular person. But not like that other PBS show that was on briefly, that seemed to portray stories with a political agenda. I don't want celebrities, I don't want an agenda, I just want an interesting genealogy journey.
Me too. Part of the intrigue would be seeing how the lives and choices of ancestors got the current person to where they are in life at this time.

It's all pretty amazing.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:34 PM

738 posts, read 998,998 times
I completely agree with bjh on the Ferguson episode. Sadly, it was almost amusing how Jesse tried to pull "good qualities" from his murdering/embezzling/thieving/womanizing/quitting/lawyer ancestor. Did he really say "perseverance"????

Although it would have been nice to find out what became of the first family, I laughed out loud when he was talking about how "caring" his ancestor was to raise the children. I looked right at my husband and said "Being a lawyer, he probably had her committed and then lied to the children about it!"

Regardless, this is the only show where I sit and actually w-a-t-c-h everything and so far, I'm enjoying this season. I just hope it gets better. And no...I'm not sorry that the PBS show isn't on anymore. Talk about annoying...ughh!

RVcook

Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Bummed I don't get TLC and can't afford to pay to watch. I do enjoy the Celeb stuff but I'd love to see one segment on an ordinary person. Our family has a HUGE brick wall that we've been working on for decades. My cousins are LDS and have been to SLC even, I've hired pro genealogists twice and got ripped off, these were listed on a reputable site and did report them but I didn't get my $ back.

Anyone know if there's a freebie site to watch the episodes, I went to the TLC site and all they offer are clips.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:05 PM

I just checked on Youtube for full episodes and guess what---I found FULL episodes of Who Do You Think You Are-UK!!!!

There is evidently a UK version! I noticed JK Rowling being one guest and Alex Kingston from ER as another.

Guess what I'll be watching this weekemd!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy