Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 02:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

So ancestry.com just "leaf"'d something regarding one of my paternal great-grandfathers. Basically, the guy who gave me my last name. We'll call him Steve.

I know nothing about him, however, my brother appears to have been named after him. My grandfather (whom I did know when I was young, we'll call him Sam) was brought to the U.S. by Steve from Mexico at the age of 6. Where in Mexico.......beats me (?). Nobody was even sure of the exact year my grandfather Sam was born (it was 1911 or 1912, nobody was ever sure). No Mexican record of Sam, other than U.S. records saying he was born in Mexico as well.

Anyhow, the Ancestry leaf found a Mexican baptism record of a guy (Steve) that could be my great-grandfather, only his birthdate that my tree had for him was exactly a year off, but the same date, Dec 26.

Steve was born very deep into Mexico, quite close to Guatemala actually. Steve had only my last name listed in the record (twice, for some reason), his father (we'll call him Chris) had my last name as well, but it was listed second.

Here's where I'm confused and/or interested. Chris's first name and first last name are stereotypically Portuguese, but his second last name was my last name, which came from his mother's dad (per Chris's baptism record). Chris's father and grandfather's first/last names are also stereotypically Portuguese (both same last name as Chris's first last name).

So I'm wondering, did somebody make a mistake in naming somewhere? It appears Steve took Chris's mother's last name upon entering the U.S. (or at birth), or somebody screwed up, and I and my descendants should actually in theory have this Portuguese last name instead.

Anybody ever see anything like this before? Upon further research, it appears that my last name is quite popular in the part of Mexico in question, if that at all matters. The Portuguese name not as much, but it is present.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 AM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Plenty of Portuguese migrated to all parts of the Spanish Empire as Spanish subjects (basically ethnic Portuguese with Spanish nationality.)

Mexico has a tradition that people can choose which last name they put first and which second, if I'm not mistaken.

Double last names (one last name that appears as the first and second last name) is usually an indication that the person is the son/daughter of two closely related cousins that married each other.

It may also be indicative, and bases on the details you gave I think this is more likely in your case, of a sort of feud or estrangement between the offspring and one of his parents, albeit the usual practice is to adopt both maternal (or paternal if the issue is with the mother) last names and not using the same last name twice unless the paternal or maternal last names in use also repeat themselves.

Furthurmore repeating last names may mean that two untrelated persons (as far as they know) with the same last name married.

Lastly, all sorts of tricks and falsifications are done when people migrate from one place to another, especially if the migration has an air of illegality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy