Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:32 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

We're looking for living relatives and we have the birth date and social security number for one of them.
How can the number be used to help find the step relative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I don't think you can legally search by social security number, that could lead to people finding and stealing social security numbers from deceased people. You can search the social security index by name on Ancestry.com but it's a death index - thus no information on your living relatives. Assuming you know their name you might check birth, marriage or divorce records in many states those are public and accessible online or through Ancestry.com

Old 04-06-2015, 06:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think you can legally search by social security number, that could lead to people finding and stealing social security numbers from deceased people. You can search the social security index by name on Ancestry.com but it's a death index - thus no information on your living relatives. Assuming you know their name you might check birth, marriage or divorce records in many states those are public and accessible online or through Ancestry.com
Actually, the social security death index has the SS numbers publicly available in an effort to reduce identity theft of deceased people. The idea is that if the numbers of deceased people are public, organizations can easily check to see if the individual of that number is decease, and then they can immediately flag it as identity theft.

However, there is definitely no place where you can find the SS numbers of living people! That would be highly dangerous. Howard555, I don't know how you obtained a living person's SS number but it is supposed to be kept private until the individual's death.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Actually, the social security death index has the SS numbers publicly available in an effort to reduce identity theft of deceased people. The idea is that if the numbers of deceased people are public, organizations can easily check to see if the individual of that number is decease, and then they can immediately flag it as identity theft.

However, there is definitely no place where you can find the SS numbers of living people! That would be highly dangerous. Howard555, I don't know how you obtained a living person's SS number but it is supposed to be kept private until the individual's death.
An employer can use e-verify to see if a SS# matches the name that a job applicant has given but I don't think most employers who use that would be willing to use it for another purpose.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
One's s/s number is no longer that private. One provides it for employment, to purchase insurance, open bank, brokerage and other financial accounts, obtain any type of credit, buy or sell real estate, obtain medical services, file taxes, receive many forms of governmental assistance, sometimes to register to vote, sometimes to get a driver's license in a new state, and so on. As if that's not enough, when you turn 65 our government assigns you a Medicare card on which your Medicare number is your s/s number, and then advises you to carry it with you at all times.

It's no wonder there is so much identity theft.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:

As the parent who applied for her children's Social Security cards, I know both numbers and will never forget them! Maybe OP has a legitimate reason for having those numbers!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:06 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Maybe OP has a legitimate reason for having those numbers!
Of course. Someone is trying to find a deceased person's relative(s) to get personal property to them.
And the s.s. number and was found on an old state i.d. card found in a box of things that belonged to the deceased. We did not travel 1000 miles to Wisconsin just to get a box of junk where the i.d. card was accidentally found.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:44 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Way to take me far too literally, people, LOL. By private, I just meant it's not something publicly available - obviously, legit businesses use them, and close family members might know them. But Howard didn't sound to be in either of those positions when first posted. Regardless, my point was there is no public database for living people's SS numbers, and for good reason.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:26 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Running a credit report will give you several addresses. You can't run the report without a good reason, but you could pay a private investigator to run one. It's not a lot of work for him to get you an address, so it shouldn't cost much.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
An employer can use e-verify to see if a SS# matches the name that a job applicant has given but I don't think most employers who use that would be willing to use it for another purpose.
That's all they get too. Any company who abuses this would likely face concequences from the system as well.

You can't see the personal records of people for fifty/sixty years, I believe, since it was being used as a way to locate dead people your age to do false ID's. Published directories can be accessed but the information is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy