Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 AM

24 posts, read 16,339 times

Advertisements

Read the truth about slavery that Europeans learn and they have taken the truth about slavery out of your history books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
The past is the past, I think you have been brainwashed by the media to feel guilty for something you had nothing to do with.
Yes, I think this is sort of a case of white guilt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_guilt

Old 08-23-2015, 09:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonminch View Post
Read the truth about slavery that Europeans learn and they have taken the truth about slavery out of your history books.
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but you have no clue what you're talking about. In the schools I went to, we most certainly learned about all the horrors and truths of slavery.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
You can't honestly expect people from the past to have been modern-day Politically Correct.

What was the mindset of the day? Did they think/act the same way as everyone else in that time/place? Why would you expect them to think/act differently than everyone around them just because it's expected today?

Figurines that you now consider to be racist were just knickknacks from then--obviously popular or somebody wouldn't have been making them and selling them.

Genealogy should be about celebrating our history, not re-writing it.

Just my two cents.
Absolutely. People were products of the prevailing social order. That is history's normal in every era.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:18 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Unfortunately, if you are from the deep south, especially a long, long time, there are probably some pretty horrific things.

I'd like to think that people don't judge me because of something my Great-great-great-great-great Charleston grandparents did.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:29 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,808 times
I'll buy them from you. Some African AMericans collect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Mr. RabbitSong and I are trying to get all of our family photos and documents combined into one location. He is a packrat, and I think he came by it honestly. I don't think his mother ever threw anything away! Both of his parents have passed away, so we have a lot of STUFF!

Here's my dilemma. We know that his mother's side of the family owned slaves. Her father was the last in a long line of farmers. Being in the South, we were aware that we'd find slaves. Some of the little things we have found in her belongings are some extremely racist post-cards, posters, newspaper clippings, etc. (Think of all the little figurines showing young black children eating watermelons, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Remus, etc.) I knew my father-in-law was racist, but this is new for me. It's really tarnished my opinion of my sweet mother-in-law. I was not raised like that, and in fact, my parents made sure to point out how things were wrong. I really would love to throw these out, but he doesn't. It's a part of the past that I'd rather see gone. Mr. RabbitSong isn't racist, but because they belonged to his parents, he just doesn't want to part with them.

Any thoughts? How do you handle the not-so-great parts of your family history?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:33 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,808 times
You have no idea what you are talking about. African Americans do not collect them because they are cute. The imagery is racist and demeaning.

OP - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_Notions
Be glad that you "know better and wish to do better". Lots of people will take them off your hands if you choose to sell them, or arrange to donate them in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are African Americans who are dedicated collectors of those knickknacks that you are considering to be racist. They will pay good money for them.

I can remember ads with small black children eating huge slices of watermelon. Those were considered to be cute, not racist. It's not really a derogatory slam to call someone a watermelon eater. Neener neener, your sister eats watermelon? Not much of an insult. It's more of an insult to accuse someone of not liking watermelon, like their taste buds are defective. I've seen lots of art involving little white kids eating watermelon . I don't consider that to be horrendously racist either

There were ads of black children holding kittens, too. Again considered to be cute rather than an attempt to keep a people down.

Now, we wouldn't dare to say the words black and watermelon in the same hour for fear of hurting someone's feelings, but public attitude was different then. Maybe blacks won't eat watermelon now because it is such a racist fruit.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:43 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I believe you have to "own" all your ancestors, not just the good ones or the famous ones. They all belong to you. If any of us goes back far enough, we'll find racism or witchcraft or radicals or killers or drunks--the list is endless.

They're yours, like it or not. You have to learn to deal with it and accept it. Accept it especially within the context of the times they lived in.

A very wise researcher once told me that HIS mother told him that you cannot judge what people did in the old days. Times were so different and we simply have no idea of what it was like for these people and what the cultural influences and pressures of the day were like.

For instance, I hate the fact that one of my ancestors accused a woman of being a witch. What a horrible man. Probably in the strict and serious context of the era he lived in, it wasn't as crazy and outrageous as I think it is, but I still HATE the guy. I try to remember that he lived in a different time. Not that what he did was right--and I don't have to like him--but it was a different world. His sons and daughters weren't like him because by that time the witchcraft era had ended and there's a good possibility that they were outraged by his actions and wanted to distance themselves from what he did.

How would somebody feel if their grandfather had been a Nazi murderer? Lots of people have to live with that knowledge but if they are genealogists, they will accept the fact and just try to understand it.

I would think that you would hang onto your MIL's relics as representing the times that she lived in. It's part of history. No white people knew back then that those items were offensive to anyone. Probably if people back then had realized it would hurt someone, they wouldn't have owned such items. It doesn't mean she was ignorant or even racist, it just means that it was perfectly acceptable at the time. It was also perfectly acceptable in the north. These racial stereotypes were common at the time and it would have been hard to avoid them.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,981 times
How do I handle negative aspects of family history?

Well, it is interesting, can be funny, tragic, and even give insight as to how you were raised by your parents who were raised by their parents....etc., etc. in the context of the day. Many people studying their genealogy find horrific lineage and others kings and queens. Everyone doesn't belong to the 'DAR', but are just as important in the whole scheme of things in this life. It is what it is.

I've found some very intriguing things in studying my family's history. I embrace all of it. There is one historical detail that could be considered a bit embarrassing, but, oh well. Now we know. Mostly, all of this just makes you YOU because your ancestors were who THEY were.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:18 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Mr. RabbitSong and I are trying to get all of our family photos and documents combined into one location. He is a packrat, and I think he came by it honestly. I don't think his mother ever threw anything away! Both of his parents have passed away, so we have a lot of STUFF!

Here's my dilemma. We know that his mother's side of the family owned slaves. Her father was the last in a long line of farmers. Being in the South, we were aware that we'd find slaves. Some of the little things we have found in her belongings are some extremely racist post-cards, posters, newspaper clippings, etc. (Think of all the little figurines showing young black children eating watermelons, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Remus, etc.) I knew my father-in-law was racist, but this is new for me. It's really tarnished my opinion of my sweet mother-in-law. I was not raised like that, and in fact, my parents made sure to point out how things were wrong. I really would love to throw these out, but he doesn't. It's a part of the past that I'd rather see gone. Mr. RabbitSong isn't racist, but because they belonged to his parents, he just doesn't want to part with them.

Any thoughts? How do you handle the not-so-great parts of your family history?
They helped bring your husband and your children into this world. How about respecting them instead of those who have convinced you they were bad people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy