Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: What race do you consider half black half white people?
Black 63 24.51%
Mixed race aka biracial 190 73.93%
White 4 1.56%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,539 times

Advertisements

Eh, in a country with a population as mixed as the US it's all about cultural context, there are no bright lines defining boundaries. If someone's mom is a Somali immigrant and dad is a Swedish immigrant they're likely going to be considered black. Otherwise a lot depends on how white or black their parents are, what cultural subgroup their parents belong to and what part of the country they're living in. There are white people where I'm from (one of the back corners of southern Appalachia) that might be considered black in another context. I used to watch CSPAN quite a bit and I've been confused more than once when a politician was speaking about minority issues in the first person and I didn't realize at first that they identified as black. Requires a bit of cognitive gymnastics on my part when they look less African than a couple of my aunts and several of my second cousins who are white by local standards.

Also never heard the thing about race following the father. If anything people here are defined as belonging to their mama's extended family not their dad's, the exception would be if their mom wasn't local.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I never said he had his eyes on the white house in his 20s or 30s. I said he identified himself as black because it was beneficial for him to do so. Silly political nonsense? You're obviously in denial of reality and will stretch what someone else says to fit your own political ideology. It's quite obvious.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,147 times
human

Old 10-23-2015, 10:47 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I'm taking a racial studies class and want to gather some data but on top of that I'm extremely curious, I'm American but I'm half Afro Brazilian and half German American. When in both countries(meaning brazil and germany) and I say i'm half black half white it's usually accepted. It's a pretty common thing for people from other countries to think that Americans follow the one drop rule/don't accept people being multiracial(my dominican friends especially say this). Any who, just wanted to know if that was true or not, what race do you guys consider a "mulatto" to be.
Thanks.
I consider them to be part of the human race, don't you?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Scientists predict that in another 300-500 years from now there will be one majority race that is interracial and the rest become minorities. It has happened with our ancestors that 2-3 types of humanoids crossbreeds with another.
300-500 years? More like 30 years in the US.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
WOW these are some great responses I love the wide array of viewpoints in regards to this topic that you guys have shown, it's pretty refreshing to see that the ignorance has died out. Too everyone who answered "human" or I consider you human, lol yes that's why I consider us too but the sad reality is that a large chunk of the USA views everything in the context of race and likes to categorize people.
I actually have heard the theory that in 300-500 years the world will literally all be mixed kinda like Brazil or some of the Caribbean/latin countries.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
The race of Biracial people is determined by their visual appearance.

Those with more Negroid facial features and dark skin are Black.
Those with more Caucasian features and lighter skin are White.

Those who have a combination of racial features and skin tones are whatever race they call themselves, although Racists and Bigots may call them otherwise.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:14 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Adding another race does not help the situation.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
They are whatever it suits them to be and this is almost always black largely because of the benefits they receive from being labeled as such. President Obama is the perfect example of this. Even though he is half white and half black, was even raised in a white family, he never identifies himself as white. If he promoted himself as mixed or as white, he never would be where he is today.
Being promoted as black suited him extremely well from being admitted to the best schools, working as a community organizer, winning local Chicago elections, the senate and then the presidency.
It's not politically correct to bring any of this out in the open, but it's reality.
As a late boomer, Obama didn't have a choice.

"Biracial" has not had any social meaning at all in the US until the 90s, and doesn't mean much in social terms even today.

If he had ever promoted himself as "white," who would have accepted that?

BTW, Obama got into the best private school in Hawaii not because of his race (which mattered little there) but because the most powerful politician in the state was a personal family friend.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why is CD so obsessed about black/white mixed race people?

There are FAR more Asian/white mixed race people walking around so why such a fascination with black/white mixed race.
Because Asians are the new white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy