Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,406 times

Advertisements

This is a shot in the dark but here goes. Euphemia McLaren Johnstone visited USA in 1900 to visit her sister, I do not know if this sister was married or not, if so well she would be under another surname! Euphemia later returned to Scotland, and with her husband, Walter Johnstone and family. Gavin, David with two children, emmigrated to USA sometime 1905, through Ellis Island. USA census for 1920/30 shows them in Gloucester N J. Son David, worked at Naval Yard as wharf builder.

Any help will be appreciated in trying to trace surving relatives.

Last edited by enerijay; 02-09-2008 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: missed a surname
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
Default Euphemia McLaren Johnstone

Hi, I'm tracing my family tree and am a descendant of John McLaren (b abt 1807 in Paisley Renfrew) and Euphemia Forbes (b abt 1807 in Edinburgh). I am descended from their son John (b abt 1834 in Edinburgh). Because I am struggling a bit with my main line I am researching the side lines in the hope of turning up clues that will let me know more about these folks. William McLaren (b abt 1836 in Edinburgh) was the father of Euphemia McLaren (b abt 1860 in Wilton, Roxburghshire) and married Walter Johnstone on 17 May 1881. A lot of the McLaren family were involved in the Scottish borders woollen mills and a number of them emigrated to USA attracted by the wool mills there. I've got all of this stuff including documents where I have found them in my family tree at Family Tree, Genealogy and Census Records - Ancestry.co.uk. I hope this helps and anything you pick up re John McLaren (b1807) and Euphemia Forbes would be most welcome.

Robbie McLaren

Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
I know some Johnstons. The patriarch of the family has done a lot of research into their family history. They've been here since the civil war, though, so they may not be related. But, the Johnston/Johnstone clan isn't that big compared to a lot of the other clans, so who knows? I'm not comfortable giving you their contact information, but if you have an email address that I can forward to them I'd be happy to pass it on.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,496 times
Hello,
Due to circumstances, I have not logged on to this page for quite some time so do apologise for this delay in replying. It was interesting to read that you are related to Euphemia McLaren/ Walter johnstone. I am sorry but I do not have any information that relates to the McLaren family other than my query McLaren/Johnstone. I will certainly get in touch if anything turns up. good luck in your search.eneri

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy