Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:25 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Did you read the whole article?

"The warning was backed by a number of leading genetics experts. Steve Jones, Emeritus Professor of Human Genetics at UCL said: β€œOn a long trudge through history – two parents, four great-grandparents, and so on – very soon everyone runs out of ancestors and has to share them."

"As a result, almost every Briton is a descendant of Viking hordes, Roman legions, African migrants, Indian Brahmins, or anyone else they fancy.”

"The amount of DNA any individual inherits from relatives just a few steps up their family tree is negligible compared with the vast amount we all share from common ancestors.

"It means any ancestral "history" identified by a simple genetic test is just one of dozens of possible interpretations, and to try to trace our lineage directly through our genes is "absurd", they claimed."
I never really said any differently. In fact, I've always been the first to say the ethnicity report is only an estimate and should not be taken literally because there is no DNA which is totally unique to one small region of a continent (apart from isolated communities like islanders). I'm always explaining to people that there will be variations between companies, as they all have different sample groups and analyses. That doesn't mean the ethnicity report is "absurd", just that it's important to understand how it works and take it for what it is, not for what you want it to be. Plus, the ethnicity reports have improved over the last 4 years when this article was written.

And none of this has any meaning regarding the comment about being "related to Richard III" - which again, none of the main companies do anymore. When 23andMe did do it in the past, it was based on mt and Y haplogroups, not autosomal DNA, which is where the ethnicity reports come from. So you're talking about two different things here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShekelPurse View Post
Lots of families have been perpetuating "white lies" in their families for entire generations, for a variety of reasons, including shame, pride, and even racism - particularly in the southeast USA.

Some families want to know the "truth", others really don't want to know....lol

Agreed. Whites in the south tend to be descendants of immigrants that arrived long before the Civil War or even the Revolutionary War. Whites up north are more likely to be "ethnic" with parents, grandparents or great-grandparents that come from Europe. Not to bring politics into this, but Donald Trump is a good example. His rhetoric has a nativist/nationalist slant and yet his mom is from Scotland and all of his grandparents are from Europe. Hardly any white southerners his age have backgrounds like that.

Southern whites are much more likely to have Africans on their family tree, but Big Mama feels better saying that her great-grandmother was a Cherokee princess (and it's always Cherokee...never Creek, Choctaw, Seminole, Comanche, Caddo etc.).

It's also about a sense of ownership. When southerners or conservatives speak on the need to restrict immigration and banning Muslims from certain nations, liberals quickly point out the hypocrisy of such thinking considering how Native Americans were treated by white settlers in their own land. However, if one can say "I'm 1/8th Cherokee", it's like a shield against allegations of bigotry. That you and your ancestors and descendants have ultimate rights to the land as Americans and should feel no guilt over questioning other's patriotism.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Curious about these DNA tests: if I'm Italian on both sides (mother & father) and their parents and grandparents and great-grandparents were all Italians from Italy and I had a DNA test done wouldn't it show that I was 100% Italian? Or does this test pull up some random great great great grandparent that maybe moved from Greece to Italy 200 years ago?

Old 03-05-2017, 08:53 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Curious about these DNA tests: if I'm Italian on both sides (mother & father) and their parents and grandparents and great-grandparents were all Italians from Italy and I had a DNA test done wouldn't it show that I was 100% Italian?
No.

Quote:
Or does this test pull up some random great great great grandparent that maybe moved from Greece to Italy 200 years ago?
This is an overly simplified way of explaining it but it's somewhat correct. If you were to take the test from Ancestry.com it wouldn't reveal Italian vs Greek ancestry because the geneticists at Ancestry.com have determined that Italians and the Greeks share similar genetics so they are grouped together. However, they have determined that there is significant genetic difference between Italians and the British.

So lets say 200 years ago one of your ancestors was 100% British and they migrated to Italy and had children with someone that was Italian, that British ancestry will likely show up in your DNA. It all depends on which parts of the DNA your parents inherited from their parents and ultimately what your parents have passed on to you.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Curious about these DNA tests: if I'm Italian on both sides (mother & father) and their parents and grandparents and great-grandparents were all Italians from Italy and I had a DNA test done wouldn't it show that I was 100% Italian?
Probably not. Southern Italians in particular often get results in the Middle East and Northern Africa. Iberian is also possible. Northern Italians can get some results in Western Europe too.

Quote:
Or does this test pull up some random great great great grandparent that maybe moved from Greece to Italy 200 years ago?
More likely it's representative of about 1000 years ago. But it's not a precise timeline. All it really does is tell you "this percentage of your DNA most closely matched our sample groups for this category". Sample groups come from modern people in those areas, who have a known full ancestry in that area too. Because there's been so much mixing between neighboring regions over history, it's unlikely for anyone to be 100% anything.

Additionally, it's not possible to tell Italians and Greeks apart, they are normally lumped into the same category.

Last edited by PA2UK; 03-05-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-05-2017, 10:39 AM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin1 View Post
My various DNA tests / haplogroup identification place me in this Niall grouping. Though it's never something I make reference to. After all, there was the surprising suggestion I'm 0.5% Ashkenazi Jew as well.
Oy...who knew Niall was Jewish?

Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Southern whites are much more likely to have Africans on their family tree, but Big Mama feels better saying that her great-grandmother was a Cherokee princess (and it's always Cherokee...never Creek, Choctaw, Seminole, Comanche, Caddo etc.).
Oh God, yes. I have heard this from sooooo many people. I wasn't aware that Cherokees were lighter-skinned though than the other tribes. With all the other native tribes, why is it always Cherokee and none of the others? I too heard the Cherokee story.

Also, lots of Americans say "I'm Irish". As if they are 100% Irish and have Irish nationality. But they don't. They have some great-great-great with an Irish surname or they have freckles or maybe red hair.

It's irritating and I wish they would say "I'm an American of Irish descent" because that's correct, instead of claiming a nationality that isn't theirs.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Oh God, yes. I have heard this from sooooo many people. I wasn't aware that Cherokees were lighter-skinned though than the other tribes. With all the other native tribes, why is it always Cherokee and none of the others? I too heard the Cherokee story.

Also, lots of Americans say "I'm Irish". As if they are 100% Irish and have Irish nationality. But they don't. They have some great-great-great with an Irish surname or they have freckles or maybe red hair.

It's irritating and I wish they would say "I'm an American of Irish descent" because that's correct, instead of claiming a nationality that isn't theirs.
It's just quicker and easier to say "I'm Irish" than "I'm an American of Irish descent", no one is claiming it's their nationality.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShekelPurse View Post
Ha ! southern Italians, specifically as well Sicilians will always show African, ditto most of coastal Spaniards, French and certainly Portuguese.
I don't know about always, but it is quite common.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
My biggest complaint is Ancestry got the sample a few days ago....and no report yet. In tv they get the results right away!!

Yes, I'm joking...sort of. Patience is not one of my virtues....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy