Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times

Advertisements

I am going to try them soon,I have to read your advice for downloading the data etc.I did get British results at 23andme but Europe West with Ancestry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Have you used any of the free upload sites yet? Throw your DNA thru my heritage and GEDmatch to see what they show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 01:11 PM

662 posts, read 1,643,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I didn't wait long for my results just a few weeks,but with the sale may take awhile.I have alot of English ancestry but only got a little bit British (I was more Scandinavian than British) so I think if he has Anglo-Saxon ancestry it might show as Europe West and other areas.But it did tell me In the "genetic communities" section that I had DNA from the midlands(England) and that's true from my tree, I do.He's going to be so excited,I think it's so nice when couples do family history together,they learn so much about each other.
Thanks for the tips, good to know! I do hope he will like it. I'm not known for giving the best gifts sometimes, haha, so it's nice of you to say you think he will. I think it's nice to do as a couple, too. We've both always been into history, fortunately. When we were dating, we'd go on mini road trips to visit and photograph family graves on both sides. You're right; it's a very good way to get to know more about each other and each other's backgrounds, where they're coming from on several levels. Good luck with your continued research and trying out your results on those other sites Roselvr mentioned!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Well, at least two people appreciate it in my house (or will soon)!

I worked on mine a few years ago and got pretty far back (minus DNA), with one branch. I'm lucky that a distant relative had already built an extensive tree, traced back to 13th century Switzerland! Then most of my other roots are probably German. I just haven't had time since then to get back to it, but the more technology develops, the more I'm looking forward to it! I am hoping to have time to help DH get further with his when he gets his results back.

I LOVE Find-a-grave. It's such a great resource; I've found lots of tidbits on there. That's so nice of you to make the memorials! I especially love the ones that have memorials and the rare photo, too.

It's good to know you haven't had a need for the trial yet. I was thinking, if we do need to get to Ancestry records, we'll just go to the library. The monthly subscription price is a bit too steep for my current budget.
I made the new thread for the Family Tree and DNA General Instructions. Hopefully more people will see it.

I agree, Find a Grave is a great resource. I've found a census for my son's 3rd great grandfathers daughter on her grandson's memorial. Every time I get an edit accepted notification it amazes me to see how much the memorial grows. Normally I send them to my son's 2nd cousin but did get to the last few I connected; he sent them to me. I saw that some how one person didn't get connected so I was able to request it.

I may go to the library too. I'd really like to see some records but I don't have time to try to connect all of my hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I am going to try them soon,I have to read your advice for downloading the data etc.I did get British results at 23andme but Europe West with Ancestry.
I'm curious what you'd get with My Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Thanks for the tips, good to know! I do hope he will like it. I'm not known for giving the best gifts sometimes, haha, so it's nice of you to say you think he will. I think it's nice to do as a couple, too. We've both always been into history, fortunately. When we were dating, we'd go on mini road trips to visit and photograph family graves on both sides. You're right; it's a very good way to get to know more about each other and each other's backgrounds, where they're coming from on several levels. Good luck with your continued research and trying out your results on those other sites Roselvr mentioned!
The best suggestion I can give you is to make sure you back up the family tree GEDcom file every time you know it's been worked on. All it takes is one slip for him to accidently delete the tree. My hub removed his mother and a few siblings because of drama. I thought that it wiped out anyone connected to the deleted people, it did so that they couldn't be seen, all I had to do was search for say hub's granddaughter.

If you need to check relative history such as who was last worked on and who may be missing, you need to upload the backup, name it with the family tree name plus date so you can see which tree is which then go from there.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,651 times
i wouldnt not dna anserty dna. im going to do mine through a lab that dont deal with geneolgy. you get better test results.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trppin View Post
i wouldnt not dna anserty dna. im going to do mine through a lab that dont deal with geneolgy. you get better test results.
Not understanding your post. I think you're saying that you wouldn't use Ancestry or any of the companies like Family Tree DNA, 23 and me or My Heritage. You'd go thru a private lab because you say you get better test results. What's better?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not understanding your post. I think you're saying that you wouldn't use Ancestry or any of the companies like Family Tree DNA, 23 and me or My Heritage. You'd go thru a private lab because you say you get better test results. What's better?
I agree. I don't see how it would be "better."

There are different tests but whose to say one is better than the other. Depends on what you're trying to find.

FWIW though I do know that the University of Michigan does a free DNA test if you do some surveys via Facebook with a program called Genes For Good. They provide a spit kit and reports of the results to people who participate all for free.

I know people in my genealogy circles who couldn't afford the tests from ancestry and other companies who did this one and uploaded their results on other sites to compare to other users on those sites. I don't think you can upload them on ancestry though.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trppin View Post
I think "better" really depend on what your purpose for testing is, or what your goals are. As this is a genealogy forum, the majority of people here take a DNA test for genealogical purposes so AncestryDNA and other companies that deal with genealogy are ideal for our purposes. Maybe you could elaborate on why you're taking the test, what you hope to achieve by doing so, and why you think the lab you're testing with is better for those purposes?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree. I don't see how it would be "better."

There are different tests but whose to say one is better than the other. Depends on what you're trying to find.

FWIW though I do know that the University of Michigan does a free DNA test if you do some surveys via Facebook with a program called Genes For Good. They provide a spit kit and reports of the results to people who participate all for free.

I know people in my genealogy circles who couldn't afford the tests from ancestry and other companies who did this one and uploaded their results on other sites to compare to other users on those sites. I don't think you can upload them on ancestry though.
Ancestry and 23 and me don't accept uploads.

For anyone interested in companies that support uploads; see my thread family tree and DNA general instructions

http://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-25-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy