Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 07:32 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

I have been helping a family member find her biological father’s family. Her mother, the wife of my uncle, was married to a man and they had a daughter. The man was abusive and his family was not nice so my aunt left him and cut off all contact with him and his family. Soon after my aunt met my uncle, they married and he adopted my cousin when she was about 5 years old. She is now 69. My aunt and uncle have passed. My aunt never talked much about her first husband or his family. All my cousin knew was her biological father’s name and where he was from.

I have been researching our family on Ancestry.com so my cousin asked me to try and find information on this man and his family. I identified a man I think was him and found him on several other peoples family tree. I contacted each of those tree’s makers to see if they could confirm that I had the correct man. One came back saying the man was thought to be the biological father of her cousin and suggested my cousin do a DNA test to confirm they are related.

My cousin took the DNA test and it came back that she was related to two people, one of which was the tree makers cousin. The only thing is the DNA results say they are first cousins. If they both have the same father, shouldn’t they be listed as half-sisters? The father did have two brothers. Does this mean their father’s were different and that they were brothers? How does the DNA test differentiate DNA results between brothers? Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 09:28 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
How much DNA do they share? How many centimorgans?

Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
It is not unheard of for half siblings to be estimated as 1st cousins - remember, it's only an estimate based on how much DNA they share and there can be some overlap in the ranges of possible shared DNA.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
How much DNA do they share? How many centimorgans?
The one that is her half-sister says: Shared DNA: 1,555 cM across 50 segments

The other one which we are pretty sure is her aunt says: Shared DNA: 1,809 cM across 65 segments

I don't understand what this means but we are very close to identifying them both. I found contact information for the aunt and they will be calling her today or tomorrow. Jay

Old 04-09-2019, 11:23 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yep, that's a half sibling, grandparent/child, or aunt/niece: https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4/1555

Quote:
The other one which we are pretty sure is her aunt says: Shared DNA: 1,809 cM across 65 segments
That's also consistent with the same group of half sibling/grandparent/aunt/niece.

Quote:
I don't understand what this means but we are very close to identifying them both. I found contact information for the aunt and they will be calling her today or tomorrow. Jay
It sounds like you're on the right track, good luck!

Old 04-09-2019, 11:50 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

This chart shows the ranges of cm's per relationship:

http://thegeneticgenealogist.com/wp-...dcMProject.png

Old 04-09-2019, 06:07 PM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Those relatives should be under the category "Close Family", and then under the username it should say "Possible range: Close family - 1st cousins." This is where aunts/uncles and half-siblings are usually placed in Ancestry.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 PM

So I thought I would give you all an update. From Ancestry I was able to determine the last name of my cousins aunt. I then found her addresses and phone number. My cousin contacted her and talked for over an hour. She found that she has two half sisters and two half brothers. The aunt confirmed that one of the Ancestry matches was her and the other was her half sister. My cousin is so happy and is making plans to visit the aunt. Thanks for the help everyone. Without it I am not sure I would have figured this out. Jay

Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Bravo! Good for her, and good for you to help her. And thanks for sharing the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy