Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 04:25 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
Sorry for the interruption.....can someone explain how the "reputation comments" work? I have gotten several of these and can see which thread they're from and who is giving the "reputation" comments. my last one came from this thread and I can see "great post, thanks for sharing. lilymae521" but I don't know how to respond, or to even how give some comments to others. can someone tell me how that works please? many thanks. and thanks to lilymae for your kind comment
You can respond by DMing the person, repping them, or commenting favorably on one of their posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 05:14 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My son IS related to the James brothers lol

I have them in his tree at family search but I'm not sure if I did the branch on ancestry.
My paternal family is from Northwest Missouri. One summer in the mid 1950s while visiting my grandparents, Dad introduced me to an older lady there who, as a little girl, had seen the James gang as they passed through town on their way to the Northfield, Minnesota bank raid. She was certainly old enough, but probably was influenced by family stories.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Looks as if a good many of us would qualify for a Charlemagne-Jesse James cousins' reunion.

My g-g-grandfather - maybe three greats, in the so-called "royal blood" line - had a first cousin who owned a gold mine in Virginia way back when. Alas, Cousin Gold Mine went broke, left Virginia for Kentucky - and the relatives which remained in Virginia let it be believed that he had died rather than become a Kentucky tenant farmer! Now, that's carrying family pride considerably too far.

Ironically, in recent years, a group of local hobbyists have leased the land and are recovering respectable amounts of gold from the original gold mine site's waterways, using very simple, basic methods: sluicing and panning.

Family stories are the real treasure, of course.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You can respond by DMing the person, repping them, or commenting favorably on one of their posts.
Yes, and if you leave a comment on a post, PLEASE sign it - otherwise the person won't know who it's from.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I did 23&me strictly for the health aspects - THAT was and is very cool to me. Family and genealogy don't interest me in the slightest. Frankly, both sides of my family have a lot of mental illness - depression and several actual suicides. It's depressing in itself and probably best that we're the last of the line. Believe me, I know the genetics of mental illness.

I agree with the narcissistic part - I've never liked the "blood is thicker than water" concept because I KNOW how messed up my family is and they are no more special than anyone else. Why would or should they be? To be utterly fascinated that you had a 4th cousin twice removed who was advisor to a French ambassador? No, I don't think so.

I only have some cousins still living - I only knew one grandmother and she passed while I was in high school. No aunts, uncles living, parents gone, sister gone...what really is the point? Uck...okay, I should have just left this topic alone!

Old 03-16-2021, 09:49 PM

78 posts, read 77,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I know how to DM and rep.

I do not know how to comment favorably. Can you tell me how I do this? where do I do this?

Old 03-16-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, and if you leave a comment on a post, PLEASE sign it - otherwise the person won't know who it's from.
where does one do this? I hovered over a person's name and "leave a comment" was not an option.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
where does one do this? I hovered over a person's name and "leave a comment" was not an option.
never mind. I finally just found it.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:11 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Sorry for the interruption.....can someone explain how the "reputation comments" work? I have gotten several of these and can see which thread they're from and who is giving the "reputation" comments. my last one came from this thread and I can see "great post, thanks for sharing. lilymae521" but I don't know how to respond, or to even how give some comments to others. can someone tell me how that works please? many thanks. and thanks to lilymae for your kind comment
If you look above on the banner of your post, or the post that you are reading, you will see some little scales. That is a clickable button that will take you to “leave a rep comment”. You can type in your rep comment, and then press the button. And if you’re like me you’ll have to press it again because it won’t go away and then you get a nasty little comment that says you can’t leave a rep comment for the same post twice. And then it will go away.

Goofy little glitch in the system.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:13 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hello, distant cousin - sort of. I am directly related to Jesse James through my mother's father! And yes, I am the descendant of various southern families so that really isn't a surprise. I bet there are tons of people who are related to the James' family now.
I just traced it at family search, on my son's grandmothers side, William Harris Smythe and his wife Catherine Ashby's daughter Mary Margaret Smith and some how with Sir Arthur Smith

Quote:

Look at the top right of my reply, it says #80. Next to it is a scale icon, push on that, it opens a reputation box that you can type in. As Kathryn mentioned, if you do leave someone a rep comment, sign your name. I rep everyone that replies to threads I make, I also hand out rep every day until city-data tells me I can't rep any more. Some days I'll just throw my name in it, others I leave a comment with my name. Admitting that I'm lazy, I'll keep my sig in my copy/paste to make it easier.

I'm trying to bring rep comments back. Seems like people don't rep much any more. Some people don't like that I rep them for some reason..

And I scroll down and see you figured it out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My paternal family is from Northwest Missouri. One summer in the mid 1950s while visiting my grandparents, Dad introduced me to an older lady there who, as a little girl, had seen the James gang as they passed through town on their way to the Northfield, Minnesota bank raid. She was certainly old enough, but probably was influenced by family stories.

I can't imagine living back in the 1800's before electricity, cars, airplanes. Having said that, it would have been cool to live when everything was coming out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy