Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 01:34 AM

936 posts, read 823,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Looks as if a good many of us would qualify for a Charlemagne-Jesse James cousins' reunion.

Hey, I have my own Jesse James connection story. (It's stories like this that make genealogy fascinating because they show your "five-degrees of separation" from historical people and famous events.)

First, I live in Clay County, Missouri--Jesse James hometown. Jesse was born and is buried in Kearney, MO, which is only up the street from me. In the 1860's one line of cousins lived on a farm less than a quarter of a mile from Frank and Jesse's homestead in Kearney, MO.

When I went rummaging through the archives of the local county newspaper (The Liberty Tribune) I discovered several articles from 1866. One of my distant cousins was arrested and thrown into the Liberty, MO, jail a few days after Frank and Jesse James had robbed the Clay County Savings Bank of $6,000. His crime: He was a "known associate" of Jesse James. People around Clay County had seen them together and knew they were good friends, so it was assumed that my cousin was a part of the gang. (He was actually innocent and was eventually set free.) After going through that he probably burned his bridges with Jesse and Frank James. That kind of friendship can get a man hanged.

But people on the internet have all kinds of wild tales about Jesse James, but I actually have three newspaper articles that prove that one of my distant cousins personally knew Jesse and went to jail over his friendship with Jesse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 05:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
where does one do this? I hovered over a person's name and "leave a comment" was not an option.
Look on the upper right hand corner - middle icon - of each post. That's where you leave reputation comments. To the right of the number of the post.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:28 AM

78 posts, read 77,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Look on the upper right hand corner - middle icon - of each post. That's where you leave reputation comments. To the right of the number of the post.
yea, that's what I was looking for initially......how to leave a reputation comment. I thought I had hovered over everything possible. and then finally saw there were some up top that I had missed. thanks.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Hey, I have my own Jesse James connection story. (It's stories like this that make genealogy fascinating because they show your "five-degrees of separation" from historical people and famous events.)

First, I live in Clay County, Missouri--Jesse James hometown. Jesse was born and is buried in Kearney, MO, which is only up the street from me. In the 1860's one line of cousins lived on a farm less than a quarter of a mile from Frank and Jesse's homestead in Kearney, MO.

When I went rummaging through the archives of the local county newspaper (The Liberty Tribune) I discovered several articles from 1866. One of my distant cousins was arrested and thrown into the Liberty, MO, jail a few days after Frank and Jesse James had robbed the Clay County Savings Bank of $6,000. His crime: He was a "known associate" of Jesse James. People around Clay County had seen them together and knew they were good friends, so it was assumed that my cousin was a part of the gang. (He was actually innocent and was eventually set free.) After going through that he probably burned his bridges with Jesse and Frank James. That kind of friendship can get a man hanged.

But people on the internet have all kinds of wild tales about Jesse James, but I actually have three newspaper articles that prove that one of my distant cousins personally knew Jesse and went to jail over his friendship with Jesse.
My great grandmother's grandmother was from that county in Missouri. She remembered her grandmother talking about seeing the James brothers at a family get together. One of HER relatives said "See those men? Don't talk to them - they're not good people." She remembered standing around the corner of a barn peeping at this group of guys and thinking "Those are the men who aren't good people."

Old 03-17-2021, 07:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just traced it at family search, on my son's grandmothers side, William Harris Smythe and his wife Catherine Ashby's daughter Mary Margaret Smith and some how with Sir Arthur Smith

Look at the top right of my reply, it says #80. Next to it is a scale icon, push on that, it opens a reputation box that you can type in. As Kathryn mentioned, if you do leave someone a rep comment, sign your name. I rep everyone that replies to threads I make, I also hand out rep every day until city-data tells me I can't rep any more. Some days I'll just throw my name in it, others I leave a comment with my name. Admitting that I'm lazy, I'll keep my sig in my copy/paste to make it easier.

I'm trying to bring rep comments back. Seems like people don't rep much any more. Some people don't like that I rep them for some reason..

And I scroll down and see you figured it out..

I can't imagine living back in the 1800's before electricity, cars, airplanes. Having said that, it would have been cool to live when everything was coming out.
I didn't know how to do this either, so thanks for the information. :-)

Old 03-17-2021, 09:57 AM

35,053 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You can respond by DMing the person, repping them, or commenting favorably on one of their posts.
Yes, and if you leave a comment on a post, PLEASE sign it - otherwise the person won't know who it's from.
I always do unless I hit the link too fast and forget to right-click. Even when people don't sign I am usually able to "match" the timing of the rep and a person's thread post. Often I DM the person to confirm and thank.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I didn't know how to do this either, so thanks for the information. :-)

You're very welcome. If you're on a cell you may not be able to type in the rep box. Something like when it gives the error, click the box again, it will finally open up right.

Quote:
I always do unless I hit the link too fast and forget to right-click. Even when people don't sign I am usually able to "match" the timing of the rep and a person's thread post. Often I DM the person to confirm and thank.

That's a good idea. Hopefully they did comment.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:41 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're very welcome. If you're on a cell you may not be able to type in the rep box. Something like when it gives the error, click the box again, it will finally open up right.
Really! I’ve never had an issue with that. And I do everything on my phone. I’ll keep that in mind, thank you!

That’s one of the reasons I always mention that I am on an iPhone, because sometimes things happen on my friends phones who have other operating systems. But they don’t happen to me. And I’m sure there are things that happen on mine that don’t happen on their‘s.

And whenever I called for tech-support, they always wanted to know exactly what I was using so I just assume that that’s what you’re supposed to do. Tell everybody exactly what operating system you’re using.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:42 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Genealogy is not for everyone. Not everybody has the same interests.

In my family, I'm the only one that cares. My mother doesn't understand my enthusiasm.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:11 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
I always just click the "Rate this post positively" in the bottom left of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy