Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 11:28 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times

Advertisements

My Gram always used to say that she married down. She said her family used to work for royalty. Nobody really believed her or really even cared.

Turns out she had an ancestor from Scotland who was "Gardener at Hazelwood." Hazelwood Castle was built during Norman times and was owned by the Vavasour family, "a Norman family of high stature." Located in N. Yorkshire, it remained (despite ups and downs due to fights with King John, King Edward VI, and various other battles) in the Vavasour family until 1908. Now it's a hotel!

Maybe they weren't officlal English royalty but they were close enough to it (Queen Mary Stuart spent a night there) so for my grandmother that was "royalty." My grandmother's story was pretty close to the truth depending upon what you consider royalty. You have to go back a few hundred years but, yes, they worked for royalty. No relation, but they worked for them.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-25-2022 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 02:17 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
It may be possible to connect to British royalty if you can confirm descent with a paper trail from a "gateway ancestor".

https://www.magnacharta.com/gateway-ancestors/

I have at least one in my tree.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:22 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It may be possible to connect to British royalty if you can confirm descent with a paper trail from a "gateway ancestor".

And I’m related to nobody on that list. . Darn.

There’s a website that has given people numbers. And all you have to do is put in the number of one person that you’re related to and the number of another person that you want to be related to and it will figure out how you are related to them. I don’t believe anything it says, but it sure is fun to play with.

And I cannot find it, so I didn’t link it.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:04 AM

383 posts, read 181,008 times
Not really. Some conquistadors? I'm more interested in my indigenous ancestry, which is probably all mixed up after hundreds of years. Not expecting some "Indian princess"!

I find medieval Europe fascinating, but part of the reason is because I have no immediate links to the continent. Again, a lot of people moved around, so who knows? Probably peasant AND nobility, if you go back far enough

Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

My wife is descended from two of those

Old 10-05-2022, 06:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My wife is descended from two of those
Maybe she and I are cousins!

Old 10-06-2022, 01:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,417 times
Don't care in the slightest. Our family's ancestry research concentrates on the folks who left other shores to come here. If one knows history, one also can intuit why ancestors left. Once they landed here, they and their descendants are of interest to us.

Only when the lineage is carefully documented will we bother with those who came before our immigrant ancestors, and it's purely for amusement. The early days of settling here have shown our ancestors to be far, far more interesting than some nebulous link to some alleged royal way back when.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
It reminds me of social workers who refer to those ghetto dwellers driving cadillac as the flying aspirin.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:29 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And I’m related to nobody on that list. . Darn.

There’s a website that has given people numbers. And all you have to do is put in the number of one person that you’re related to and the number of another person that you want to be related to and it will figure out how you are related to them. I don’t believe anything it says, but it sure is fun to play with.

And I cannot find it, so I didn’t link it.
A lot of genealogists theorize that everyone alive today who has European decent has royal ancestors. The theory is that Charlemagne would have had more decendants than there are currently people (of European ancestry) living.

You just haven't found the right ancestor yet.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:25 AM

16,075 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
A lot of genealogists theorize that everyone alive today who has European decent has royal ancestors. The theory is that Charlemagne would have had more decendants than there are currently people (of European ancestry) living.

You just haven't found the right ancestor yet.
I think that is probably true. The nobility had the advantage and the survivors and kids that were not highly titled who were lesser nobility who had surviving kids, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy