Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Why don't we call them First Nation people as in Canada. It is a much more accurate description than native American. After all anyone born here is a native American...no?
I totally agree. First Nations sounds much more descriptive and poetic, Native American in realtiy b.s. politically correct term. I have no problem with "Indian" whatsoever, but I kinda like "First Nations", has a real nice sound to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My ancestors believed in all kinds of crezy stuff like the sun goes around the earth, diseases can be treated effectively with leeches, protestants are heretics, and white men have a "manifest destiny" to control the continent. That doesn't mean I have the look at things the same way. Why should Indians treat their forerunners' beliefs as fact anymore than I do mine?
well because we have held our stories for generations, this stuff was not just something grandma ramble off about it was told to all the generations, the Native beliefs are all different but simialar in many ways. there are many traditions we follow and believe and feel that they are very spiritual to us, kinda like the bible is to christians i suppose. I am probably not explaining this very well ,but i am trying.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I was really proud to officially discover Cherokee on my family tree last October. I am 1/32nd Indian, descended from Chief Big Feathers who left Virginia on the Trail of Tears, later dying in Oklahoma

Old 05-30-2010, 03:52 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Well a reason why so many Americans claim native american ansestors is when Europeans first settled in a region in America most of first settlers to the region were males and with the lack of females they found a solution and it was the native american women.

Last edited by other99; 05-30-2010 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
My daughter is half white, 3/8 black and 1/8 Native American.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino-Italiano View Post
The pioneer of DNA study himself looks as "white" as most Europeans, yet when his DNA test came back, it was shown that he has 16% African DNA in him.

Looks alone do not tell the whole story.
What about whites who were adopted by indians...Blue Jacket,Daniel Boone but he escaped the Shawnee to return to his own but said he always had more in common with the indians than the whites and lived in peace with them till he died. Also here in southern Ohio we were part of the Northwest territory considered part of Virginia & after the Revolution they gave land of 100 acres to the soldiers as payment to settle here. Deeds today still read Virginia Military District on them and my mothers side of the family settled in Adams Co. Ohio back in the day.The French were here too...go to Portsmouth Floodwall Murals and look at the beautiful indian ones...

Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
such a good post. we hid our ancestory 50 years ago. now we attempt to parade it.
however to be fair "american" is a 500 year old culture, how sad nobody wants to be one anymore.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:58 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino-Italiano View Post
The pioneer of DNA study himself looks as "white" as most Europeans, yet when his DNA test came back, it was shown that he has 16% African DNA in him.

Looks alone do not tell the whole story.
1/16 means that one of his great grandparents was African (I presume you mean black African). That's not very much so of course he's going to look European if the other 15 of his great great grandparents were European.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
What about whites who were adopted by indians...Blue Jacket,Daniel Boone but he escaped the Shawnee to return to his own but said he always had more in common with the indians than the whites and lived in peace with them till he died. Also here in southern Ohio we were part of the Northwest territory considered part of Virginia & after the Revolution they gave land of 100 acres to the soldiers as payment to settle here. Deeds today still read Virginia Military District on them and my mothers side of the family settled in Adams Co. Ohio back in the day.The French were here too...go to Portsmouth Floodwall Murals and look at the beautiful indian ones...
The Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation (the ones that are based in Cherokee, N.C.), what was left of them when the Trail of Tears had commenced that had not died or been sent west to Oklahoma, partially owes its existence to a White man that was full member of Tsalagi (Cherokee) nation named Will Thomas (I think that was his name, anyway) who had been adopted by a Cherokee man and raised as his son and as a full member of the tribe. He both raised money and legally fought for the Cherokees against the Federal Government to keep the remaining Cherokees in Smoky and Appalachian Mtn. area from being removed west or arrested or killed, and monetarily and personally and politically helped his people (yes, even though he was white, they were his people) throughout his lifetime. In the Civil War, as a side note, he was a Confederate Commander, and was leader over both Indian and White soldiers for the Confederate cause, won the "Battle of Gatlinburg" (yes, where the good ole tourist town of Gatlinburg, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Aqaurium, Sky Lift, taffy shops, etc., is) for the South, and around end of Civil War, had to CAPTURE a Union outfit to SURRENDER to them, the war being over, thank goodness.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
well because we have held our stories for generations, this stuff was not just something grandma ramble off about it was told to all the generations, the Native beliefs are all different but simialar in many ways. there are many traditions we follow and believe and feel that they are very spiritual to us, kinda like the bible is to christians i suppose. I am probably not explaining this very well ,but i am trying.
I get your drift. Even in U.S. of now, say, Ky. and Tenn. are very similar, neighbors in fact, but still somewhat different (the laws, such as for different medical professions, are certainly different!). Ohio and Indiana are very similar, but different, then again different from Illinois, etc., even different parts of same state have different cultures, climates, geography, etc. England and Scotland border each other, but are certainly different. The Cherokee and Shawnee both hunted in Ky., and were essentially neigbors, but much different customs and beliefs, etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy