Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM

49 posts, read 159,749 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is moving this summer and we've had several moving companies come to our house to provide quotes for our move. They're all pretty expensive! The other day I saw an ad on the side of a U-Haul truck for movinghelp.com. I looked them up, and they are substantially less expensive, but I'm a little on the fence about them.
If anyone has heard of this company or used this company to move, please let me know the good, the bad, and the ugly, if necessary!!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,793 times
There's a reason that licensed, full service movers are so expensive. Whether this type of DIY moving labor service is acceptable depends on what you can afford and how much personal risk you're willing to assume to accomplish your relocation.

MovingHelp.com functions solely as a "neutral venue and digital clearinghouse" between the large pool of independent labor contractors and you, the customer. It's part of Emove.Inc, a 'virtual' marketplace and subsidiary of do-it-yourself truck rental and self-storage giant U-Haul International, Inc.

According to the company's website at https://www.movinghelper.com/login.a...2fDefault.aspx, anyone can sign up to become a mover for free. There is no background check performed, no performance bond required, no professional training or packing and moving experience tests applied, and no type of proof of workman's compensation insurance required to become an MovingHelp affiliate partner.

Any convicted criminal, two-bit petty thief, or sexual predator could sign up to work in your home. Legally you might be responsible for any workman's comp claims if the laborers you hire at origin or destination injured themselves while performing your move.

This is what the BBB that serves Central, Northern and Western Arizona where Emove is located shows in their rating system. Emove Inc. Review - MOVING SERVICES LABOR AND MATERIALS in Phoenix, AZ - BBB Reliability Report - BBB serving Central, Northern and Western Arizona

Last edited by RikkiTikki; 06-16-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 08:52 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,425 times
I've found movers on movinghelp twice now and was 100 percent satisfied. But, I only needed loaders to load up relocubes.They use reviews on there for a reason. One of my moves the guy said he used to work for one of the big moving companies but he went independent, and his skills showed it. He was good at wrapping up items, packing the relo cube so I would only need one.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 28,364 times
Default It's a good way to save money

As a licensed and insured moving business owner of swiftmoverz.com in San Antonio, TX I have to charge higher prices to keep up with regulations. Uhual may not prescreen their movers but they do have a good unedited review system that make the movers on the movinghelp.com work harder for good reviews. Because they are offering low rates it really is not fair for customers to expect coverage. It's a good system and you can not beat it for it's price.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 PM

14 posts, read 35,069 times
I think they're true and can be trusted. I haven't tried their service though. I've seen one of their ads too but since I don't need their help/service yet I don't know if I should really recommend them. I think you can try verifying first if they are really registered and have the legality to operate.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,710 times
Uhaul moving help contracts with Day Laborers, they are NOT movers. Uhaul Movinghelp actually stresses with their Sign-Up process that if a company IS a professional moving company, they will not be accepted as a movinghelp mover. This helps them to keep the rates down for the customers. We used them one time and never went back. The previous comments are solely from movinghelp employees. Uhaul takes no responsibility for issues that transpire, they contract another company named "E-Move" out, and literally a majority of the laborers on the site are criminals/felons who are looking to make a quick buck. If you want to put your family in danger or your items in danger of getting stolen and subject your kids to profanity and unprofessional workmanship, use movinghelp.com; you get what you pay for...read the fine lines and don't say you weren't warned!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,556 times
They are labor helpers. Some will drive the uhaul, but there is a charge per mile. I used them in February when I moved to a new apartment. Sure, they will vary by location, and even w/in the location the movers will be different. I was very satisfied. I recommend looking at the reviews, and choose based on that.

We hired two guys for 3 hrs for $45 an hour. They had us moved from a 2nd floor apartment to a 3rd floor apartment 16 miles away in 2 1/2 hrs. Very efficient and friendly too.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
I also used them when I moved from Santa Clara, CA to Redding, CA. I only used them to unload. They were two young men who started out being a little silly, joking around, then I very nicely told them that I only had a set budget for the amount I already paid through U-Haul, and a tip, and if they didn't get done in time, I was really sorry, but I'd have to use the tip money to pay the hourly rate.

They snapped to and got the job done.

They were nice, but young and a tad tired. They'd already done a job before they came to help me. But, they were right on time. And it only cost me $100 for 2 hours with 2 movers, if I recall correctly. A great deal, IMO.

I didn't use them to load in Santa Clara, because I was able to hire two students who lived in my building even cheaper, LOL. I used to be an apt manager, and I just asked a couple of tenants if they wanted to make $80 for two of them to load the trailer - flat rate. The quote on the U-Haul site that was the best deal was more expensive than in Redding (more expensive market). I think they wanted around $160 or more for 2 hours.

At any rate, I liked how the whole ordering process worked. And they definitely did want me to give them a good rating. They reimburse you something like $10 for leaving a review, so the process encourages customers to leave reviews.

Anyway, my experience having them come - on time (amazing for moving help), and getting the job done (once I kind of nudged them), the great price, and the fact that they want the work from U-Haul and good reviews - anyway, I'd use the service again.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 13,629 times
Thumbs down Stay away....big problems

This company is nothing more than a "pimp company" for any person looking for work.

On our arrival at our new home, our so called movers, "All n All Moving, out of Phoenix, did not show up, did not call, and did not answer our calls for 2 hours, by then they were so far away and on another job that we just wound up doing it ourselves.

When we tried to contact MovingHelp.com we found that THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE PHOME NUMBER!
So they take your money, but if you have problems you are just out of luck, customer service is handled by e-mail only, and their reponse to that is slow. In fact, we are still waiting for the refund on our no-show movers.
I sent them a detailed complaint about our experience and asked for a Phone call back from some one. Not only did they not call they have never even responded to my e-mail.

Very poorly run company. Do yourself a favor and try "Task Rabbit". The workers are checked out and the company has real customer service, not just a website title.

Would never use them again, nor recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by Sagewind; 10-05-2014 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,644 times
My opinion is that if you want a smooth, safe, low-stress move, you will stay with a national-reputation company, one which is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Administration. This is not the time to depend on luck and the lowest bidder. Read some of the info at this web site...it convinced me.

[url]https://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer/awareness/protect/choosing-mover.htm[/url]

We are moving about 500 miles soon, and I've obtained quotes from Allied Van Lines, Graebel and United Van Lines. The quotes were very close in price, (around 6500) and in the weight they estimated. In each instance, the representative came to our home and walked through each room with me, identifying which items were to be included in the move and entering their database. They accounted for the sizes of the boxes I've already packed and also assessed the amount of stuff still in closets and cabinets to be packed. We talked about whether they would be packing my flat panel TVs, pictures and washing machine. The quotes all included 100% replacement cost for the items, it only Allied offered a staggered deductible price structure. * be aware..if you don't pay for the insurance, they are only required to pay you 60 cents per pound for lost or damaged items. A broken chair for which you paid $500.....60 cents per pound.

All 3 said their crew would put down padded floor strips to protect the floors in both houses, and pad wall corners to protect from nicks and dents. All will wrap all furniture in shrink wrap to keep it clean and then pad them with moving pads. All will box my mattresses to keep them clean. All use ONLY their own employees, who have been background-screened and drug tested. They do NOT use day laborers.

Yes, the cost is high, but I think it is worth it. We used a cut-rate mover once for an in-town move years ago. The workers were sleazy, dirty looking, and immediately hit us up for more money before they started, to guarantee that "nothing got damaged". Their boss kept calling all day saying he needed them to stop work on my move and go to another job, and said they would come back in a day or two. I hung up on him several times and finally disconnected the phone. (I had closed on my house the day before and had 3 days to get out)!!! When we finished, it was about 9:00 p.m. and we started toward the new house about 60 miles away. They did not follow the route we gave them, which was around the perimeter hwy around Atlanta. Instead they went right through downtown, and we honestly feared that they were going to steal all our stuff and drive that truck right into the projects. Even if they had, we could not have followed the because we had our 3 young daughters in the car. By the time they left the new house, it was 3:00 a.m. and I honestly think that was the closest to homicidal I have ever been. I had been angry, stressed, afraid and at my wits-end all day. I was so happy to see those people drive away, leaving our stuff and our family intact, I sat on the floor and cried with sheer relief. Never again.

You can save a lot of money by looking on Craig's list for people who are giving away their moving boxes. I got all my boxes, bubble wrap and packing paper this way. The Allied guy estimated that this saved me about $400. We looked online about how to pack our front load washer with the shipping bolts and saved the $70 cost of having the movers do it. If you can, box and transport your flat TVs yourself. The movers charge up to $120 each to do it.

Last edited by DragonflyMom; 10-05-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.