Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 AM

231 posts, read 960,793 times

Advertisements

We are looking into a move from Long Island To Michigan. It is my wife and 1 year old son - meaning we don't have a lot of stuff. I was going to pack and rent a uhaul to move ourselves. I can unload the boxes and other small items (grill, night stand, tv) -The only heavy things I have are 2 dressers, 2 book shelves, a queen size mattress, and a treadmill (very heavy) - these are things I need help unloading in Michigan. Any suggestions on where I could find someone to help me unload in Michigan. I was going to just put an ad up on craigslist, but am worried about the person being unreliable and not showing up. I guess I could just hire a moving company in Michiagn to unload - is this doable? Any idea how much it would cost?

Also driving from NY to Michigan - I assume I have to stop at truck weigh stations - is this correct? Do I need any paperwork or forms to fill out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
Depending what part of the states that you live in, it can start at $30 an hour per person. Usually you have to hire at least 2 people.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
We are looking into a move from Long Island To Michigan. It is my wife and 1 year old son - meaning we don't have a lot of stuff. I was going to pack and rent a uhaul to move ourselves. I can unload the boxes and other small items (grill, night stand, tv) -The only heavy things I have are 2 dressers, 2 book shelves, a queen size mattress, and a treadmill (very heavy) - these are things I need help unloading in Michigan. Any suggestions on where I could find someone to help me unload in Michigan. I was going to just put an ad up on craigslist, but am worried about the person being unreliable and not showing up. I guess I could just hire a moving company in Michiagn to unload - is this doable? Any idea how much it would cost?

Also driving from NY to Michigan - I assume I have to stop at truck weigh stations - is this correct? Do I need any paperwork or forms to fill out?

Call the local state employment office. In most cases, they have a list of people available for day work.

No, you won't have to stop at the scales and the only paperwork you need to have with you is a copy of the rental agreement, but nobody is going to ask for it unless you have a wreck.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
there are sites that can provide moving help. Google it, one of them is sponsored by a big truck rental company that starts w/ u.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Ummmm......am I the only one thinking about the obvious choice?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Check with the local high school or if there is a college nearby-call the football coaches and see if they have a couple kids willing to help. If it is just a few things and will take an hour or so, pay a couple kids $20/each to help.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:50 PM

27 posts, read 98,018 times
We move a lot and always rent uhaul trucks. We hire people (usually two guys) to help us pack the heavy furniture onto the truck. You can find movers on the uhaul website. We've always had great success with doing it this way. U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Go to Uhaul or Budget or the other truck rental websites. There you will find lists of loaders and unloaders. We used them for our recent move and they were fantastic. You will probably encounter a minimum, but it's well worth it. On both ends of our move, the workers were nice young men and hard workers.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM

121 posts, read 347,932 times
For Mormons, it's pretty easy finding help moving. You just look up the Bishop of the ward where you're moving to and call him. Tell him when you'll be there, and ask if you can get some help. They send out a team to help unload stuff and get to know you at the same time. It's different anywhere you go, but around here, if you show up 15 minutes late, there isn't anything left to unload.

If you are affiliated with a church, I assume other churches have something similar.

If not, you could contact the local Mormon Bishop anyway, and ask if the young men are looking for a service project. If you offer to supply the pizza and root beer they'll probably be more than happy to help out. No strings attached.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,215 times
Either Craigslist or go to a home improvement store (like Home Depot) where there are always a ton of guys standing around looking for labor work (at least here in Seattle, may be different where you live).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues