Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM

172 posts, read 330,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
Sinister,

I can definitely empathize with you here. I am 10 years older than you, but your situation is very similar to mine, though under different situations.

I had lived in Michigan for several years, and I love it there. I have made many friends and I was able to enjoy life being there on my own. I grew up in the Houston area and over time I have came to not care for living here. Of course, my mom wanted all her kids to stay near her--didn't have a problem with us visiting other states, but not to move there. In fact, she is still trying to talk me out of leaving to go back to MI. But I have to do what's best for me, not her or anyone else. If you are always living based on what others always want, you will always cheat yourself out of what you could have.

Never been to OR but heard it was beautiful, hope to visit there someday.

Back in 2007 I moved back here to Texas, thinking maybe things would have been different. I was wrong. I have been here for 3 years now and I am yearning to return to Michigan. Each time I went up there I didn't want to leave. I truly regretted in making that move, but what's done is done. Most of my family lives here which is always nice to see them, but afterward I am ready to go back to my own place. Plus I love the change of the seasons as of course you know doesn't really exist in Texas.

Like you, I have no kids, single, and nothing to tie me down. Though I do have a house I have to sell, I can still move while that's in progress.

So by December, I am working now on packing my things to move back to MI. And once I get back there I am not leaving there again. Go what your heart feels and don't feel you have to live for the approval of everyone else, even if its your own family. Its your life and you have to do what makes you happy. That's what I am doing now. Each time I think of myself being there, I feel excitement and motivated to get what I need to get done.

I lived in Texas most of my life (born in Ohio though), and there's just nothing here that would really want to make me stay. I may be here physically for now, but my heart is in MI.

Good luck to you in your journey!

Wow! AV TECH guy,
I sure coulda used your advice when I followed my hubs down here to houston, not once, not twice, I think this is move number 4~~ back and forth between here and WI. well lemme tell ya, hav I got relocation depression AGAIN!!! sheesss how many times do I gotta do this? am I crazy??? I want him to get a differnent job, and move us home agian for GOOD!!! : (
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,240 times
I currently made the biggest mistake of my life moving to Dallas, TX from Denver, CO. Literally nothing has gone right for me here and I ache for the west! I feel your pain. In the process of figuring out where to move, but I want out of the state of Texas too! Go where your heart is!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I seem to have a constant 'longing' for home. Always second guessing my decision to move here - missing old friends and family. Then, other days, I love it here - love my new friends, new town, etc.

Does anyone else vacillate back and forth like this?

The other night - sitting at a swim banquet with people who have been together for 10 years - I felt like an outsider and SO WANTED to go home.

Then I talked with my family back home and wondered to myself . . . 'now why is it I want to go back there?"

Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,240 times
Quote:
I seem to have a constant 'longing' for home. Always second guessing my decision to move here - missing old friends and family. Then, other days, I love it here - love my new friends, new town, etc.

Does anyone else vacillate back and forth like this?

The other night - sitting at a swim banquet with people who have been together for 10 years - I felt like an outsider and SO WANTED to go home.

Then I talked with my family back home and wondered to myself . . . 'now why is it I want to go back there?"
I do this often with Las Vegas. That city is a blast, but it can be too much. But sometimes I miss it like CRAZY.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM

113 posts, read 450,086 times
when people post here for support and then disappear, i always wonder what happened to them. i wonder if she ever made it back to portland.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,652 times
Default wait till you hear my story...

Hi sinister-
Do I ever have a story for you. It starts back in October 2001. I was a native Texan. Had lived in the Wichita Falls area for my whole life. Also , had lived in Dallas for a short while but mostly in W.F.

In October of 2001 while online I met someone. She was from Oregon, Willamette valley area. We started off talking online but it wasn't long before we were talking on the phone. She was fairly young , as was I. She 19, me 25. At the time I had a fairly decent job. It wasn't great paying but it was a very comfortable job and I loved the people that I worked for.

Finally , after about 6 months of talking daily on the phone we decided to meet. She asked me to come out and visit , meet her , her family, Oregon.

So I did. I went out in Early May of 2002. I had never been on a plane before let alone really been anywhere other than my neighboring state of Oklahoma. So for me to go as far as Oregon for a trip it was super exciting.

We really hit it off. Spent the entire week together , met her family , saw some great places in the Willamette Valley like Silver Falls state park. It was the best week that I had ever experienced in my life. It was like what I had been searching for I had found. The problem? It was about 2200 miles away.

So at the end of the week neither of us wanted me to go home but knew I had too. I remember going to the airport in Portland , crying , being very sad that I had to go back home after finding such joy.

Well, it was short lived. On the plane ride home I had done a lot of thinking. What was I going back to Texas for? My job? ya maybe. but what else? I didn't get along with my parents at all ( and I still really don't). I knew I wasn't happy in Texas at the time. So what was to stop me from moving to Oregon? Besides the fact that I really had no money saved , had no idea where I would work (although she had a good steady job and had promised to help me get started in Oregon).

So I got back home to Texas , went back to work , worked about a week and then put in my two week notice. Her and I started looking for places for me to rent up there , we found a place. The plan was I was going to move there and she was going to move in with me and she would pay the bills till I could find work, with an excellent letter of reference I wasn't worried about finding work in my same field. In fact I had even started working with a recruiter up there.

So June 7th, 2002 I landed in Oregon. Only a few short months after meeting this great girl and only a few weeks of having met her. I took a chance , I risked a lot , but never thought twice about it.

In the beginning things were rough. She moved in with me , but then struggled with that because she had never lived on her own. She went home for a week or so but then returned to me as she felt very guilty I guess that here I had moved across the country for her and she had suddenly changed the plans on me. (which I was ok with because she only lived 10 miles from the apartment).

I found a job almost instantly. In the same field.

In June of 2004 we were married. ( Even though we had our struggles early on it was clear we were meant to be with one another and had worked through our struggles).

Shortly after we were married I started really getting a feel for Oregon, but had also really started missing Texas. A lot of it was the rain in Oregon. I wasn't use to it. So I started talking to her about the possibility of us moving to Texas. She was very much against it because she unlike me was very close to her family and loved Oregon.

We visited Texas about once a year and I showed her many different areas , yet the answer when it came to moving here was always NO. It was to far from family , we had nothing down here , our life was in Oregon is what she would tell me.

I tried to make the argument that we could have a life anywhere. We could easily get jobs in our fields down here, but the answer was still always NO.

Time kept moving on and the years went on and over the years constantly I would ask, beg her about moving.

I had told her that I would even make the agreement with her if she would move with me and try it down here for at least one year. If at that point she was absolutely miserable and missed home that much we could move back no questions asked. Still the Answer NO.

Other than this issue we got along great. I mean sure we had our financial struggles and other small issues like every couple does but this was the only thing that kept coming between us and was really damaging our marriage.

Finally , I reside to the fact that she isn't ever going to move to Texas or anywhere out of state for that matter so I start thinking maybe there is a place in Oregon where they get a little more sunshine and not so much rain that we could move to.

After some research , trips etc I discovered Bend, Oregon. It was roughly about 2 hours from where we lived and the same distance from her family. Bend is Colder than the valley but surely sees more sun than the valley.

So I thought this was it! This was perfect. This would solve the complex between us. I was wrong.

When I suggested it , it was sure we could look into it , take a trip over there , but at the end of the day she was never going to move. It always got put on the back burner.

Fast forward to November 2010 , I had finally had enough. I was miserable at my job , miserable with Oregon , could not see why in the heck she wouldn't do this for us.

So I gave her one last chance. I said I am going to Texas ...basically with or without you. I don't want our marriage to end but I need to experience this. Told her that I would even be willing to go down by myself for a while and test the waters....after all maybe she was right maybe I was crazy for wanting to come back to Texas but I had to find out why I so badly desired to come back here.

Well , I had made arrangements to stay with My sis in OKC until I could save up some money to get a place in Texas and find employment. I left Oregon in late 2010. I was in OKC for roughly three weeks...her and I talking on the phone constantly. Her state of mind was...she was devastated that I had left. My state of mine was ... I was devastated that she would not come with me or at least let me experience this for a little while on my own. After a few weeks of arguing about it we decided that maybe what we needed was counseling. I reluctantly agreed and went back to Oregon in December of 2010. Only a few weeks after being down here I headed back to try and save my marriage. Our marriage.

Counseling starts in January , we go for a while and it isn't going well. She wants me to learn to live and like Oregon and me I want her to move. So after going through a few months of counseling and seeing it wasn't working I was frustrated beyond belief. I felt my life was on a train to nowhere. Couldn't bare the thought of having to stay in Oregon any longer.

Finally , in August of 2011. THAT WAS IT. She came home from work and I sat her down and said I just can't do this anymore. We HAVE TO MOVE. The answer. Yep, it is still NO. So once again I make a final ditch effort , begged , pleaded, but the answer was still NO.

So I told her I was going. She was welcome to come , or she was welcome to stay. ( I figured in the back of my mind by forcing the issue after I was gone she would eventually give in and move). I was wrong yet again.

I left at the end of August 2011. By the end Of September I had divorce papers on my sisters door step in Oklahoma.

Fast forward a little to current time and date over a year later... (September 2012) , we are divorced I haven't heard from her in a very long time , I am in the Dallas / FT worth area , have a decent job doesn't pay a lot but it pays the bills. Love the people I work with. Have my own , nice apartment , ...

BUT........Something doesn't feel right. I am still not completely happy. Worse yet... Texas (especially the DFW area ) hasn't been at all what I expected. I guess after living in Oregon for almost 9.5 years I actually got use to the cooler air , the fresh air. The very mild summers, I miss my friends up there , I miss my sister and my niece up there. ( who had moved there in like 2003-04. )

I guess what I am trying to say by this BOOK I have written.... is that.....Although the grass may seem greener on the other side...I don't think it ever really is. Find the pleasures in life that do make you happy no matter where you live. I know I wished I had. If going back to Oregon is what you want to do and you are certain of it then by all means go for it. But put a lot of thought into it. If you have already moved back there then I hope it is going good for you.

Myself , well I am considering moving back in either spring or summer this next year 2013 , but I have a lot to consider....jobs , where to live , I need to save a little money , etc. But after it is all said and done....I think I will be going back and will say Good bye to Texas once and for all. I still don't know what the desire was to be back here and probably never will but i do know the price I paid to come back here wasn't worth it. I hope this helps you make a decision , and anyone else struggling with a similar issue well, best of luck and ,may we all just find the happiness that we tend to constantly look for in life.

Pauly

Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Wow! What a story! I admire you for taking a leap of faith and following your heart.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytohappiness13 View Post
Myself , well I am considering moving back in either spring or summer this next year 2013 , but I have a lot to consider....jobs , where to live , I need to save a little money , etc. But after it is all said and done....I think I will be going back and will say Good bye to Texas once and for all. I still don't know what the desire was to be back here and probably never will but i do know the price I paid to come back here wasn't worth it. I hope this helps you make a decision , and anyone else struggling with a similar issue well, best of luck and ,may we all just find the happiness that we tend to constantly look for in life.

Pauly
I really hope that you find what you're looking for, and that you can be happy. The rain and weather in Oregon does affect a lot of people. Many folks fly off to Hawaii during the winter to get away from the gloom. I lived in Eugene, OR for 2 years and loved it, bad weather and all. I still miss it sometimes.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,106 times
Red face Give it more time

[I think you need to give it more time - (perhaps CHALLENGE yourself to get involved in some things that you might enjoy (regardless of the weather) for example- (whatever your interests are?) cooking class, painting, zumba, writing, photography, volunteering, new sport, whatever - just get yourself out and PUT yourself in FUN things - this is KEY - I have relocated twice - things don't COME to you- you must go out and make it happen. I personally think you have to give it the full change of seasons, like a full year. Sorry if that sounds like a long time but this is the time for you to Challenge yourself and try. Sometimes we fear the "unknown" - see the mystery and excitement in it instead. You KNOW what you have if you go back - but you will NEVER know what you MIGHT find by staying. TOUGH it out a bit longer by getting involved. Like any BIG decision, we must put everything into it. Good Luck. Also, not sure of your Spiritual life- but if you do pray, this is the time to ASK.

This is my first post here, and I'm posting this because I'm agonizing a lot about my recent move and need some opinions/personal experiences.

I moved to a suburb of Houston from my college town in Oregon. I am 23 and moved back in with my parents, after much convincing on their part that it was the right thing to do...so I could "get my head straight," not have to to pay bills for a while, find a decent job (I graduated from college recently and haven't had a ton of luck finding anything), and start the next chapter of my life. When I made the decision to move down here I was in a pretty rough spot--I was having trouble staying afloat financially, I was frustrated with my situation in Oregon and the people I had to deal with, and my mother said that every time she heard from me I only had negative things to say. So, I was convinced that moving to Houston, where the job market is better and where I could stop worrying about bills while I stayed with my folks for a bit, would be a good idea.

Well, I haven't even been here three weeks and I'm already really regretting the move. I want to move back. I forgot how much I truly dislike Texas. My parents moved here after I moved to Oregon to go to school (we're from California originally), so it's never actually been home to me. Every time I visited for holidays I was always relieved to leave. It's ridiculously hot and humid here (even now, at the end of October!), it's ugly and flat, the people seem very Stepford-y and unfriendly, and I'm just missing Oregon terribly. I left a boyfriend behind, good friends behind, and a town that I knew very well and finally felt at home in behind. For what? Better opportunities? I'm not happy and I honestly can't see myself ever really being happy in Houston. The goal is for me to find a job in Houston and move out once I have enough money saved, into the actual city itself. Now I find that idea just...unbearable. Houston is enormous, which I did know before moving down, but realizing just how long it takes to drive everywhere is making me nervous, and the multi-lane highways freak me out.

I want to move back. But there's a small part of me that thinks I haven't given it enough of a chance. I know I can't expect everything to happen instantly, but the not knowing how long it will be until I feel settled and have friends and my own place again makes me very depressed and frightened. I miss my boyfriend terribly and I miss the comforts I had back in Oregon. I miss the rain and the fresh smell of it and how green it is.
I don't know what to do. I know I will be disappointing my parents if I decide to just turn around and go back, and the hassle of moving back kind of overwhelms me (although all I would bring is clothes and personal effects, I don't have furniture), but I can just picture my feeling of relief if I were to move back. I sold my car while I was up there and I would have to find a job pretty quickly but I know I have people that could help me out until I got that done.

I don't know though. I just feel so miserable, and angry at myself for moving when I should have appreciated the things I loved about Oregon and just ignored the annoyances. Because everywhere you go there will be stupid people and annoyances, you just have to find the place where you can handle them because everything else cancels them out. Does anyone have advice, or a similar experience? I just feel so torn. It's been hard to transition to the adult phase of realizing that I can't do what necessarily makes my parents happy, I have to do what makes ME happy, because I have constantly sought their approval. God, this situation sucks.

Thanks for any advice or words of wisdom.[/quote]

Old 10-27-2013, 02:41 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,708 times
Yes. I moved from California to San Antonio TX this year, which has been my perpetual hell. And possibly the worst place to live in America in my humble, extremely biased opinion. Everything's just so flat and ugly, ghetto, and HOT. And the bugs.. yuck. I definitely fell into the trap of believing all the hype about TX being a job hub and great place to live, but it doesn't feel like home and never will. Stuff isn't cheaper either, except for beef, gas is a few cents lower, and rent is lower by a couple hundred... but in the long run, I'd rather pay more than live here! I miss all my friends and although the people here are nice, but it's just a weird vibe. I feel so miserable and displaced here, I miss the beaches and beautiful scenery where I used to live, I just can't get used to this. I don't even want to add up what I spent moving here (shipped all my belongings via moving company, and shipped my car as well), and now I have to ship it allll back in another month or so. Honestly though, it's worth the insane cost to get the heck out of here. I guess it's a very expensive life lesson on my part! If you're unhappy and want to move back, I think you should do so. It's an inconvenience, but worth it for your sanity and happiness in the long run! I think the longer you stay and suck it up, the more comfortable you get and the less likely it is that you'll leave. Personally I've been here like 6 months and I'm getting the hell out in December!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues