Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Have you thought about getting an RV? Seriously. I've thought about it.

My major obstacles to that would be financing one (or finding one that is cheap and decent enough), and I would have some fear about having to spend nights in campgrounds that are low-quality or off-the-beaten-path. And driving the thing in winter wouldn't be any fun.

But, the idea of it really appeals to me.

Its true! In Australia it seems there are so many travelers, journeyers, students in their gap year, etc., that many places will only rent to you by the week (or 4 week, or 8 week block) and very few will rent by the month or by the year. I think that would be a better way to do things. So many people are so unhappy with the place they live, and they they are stuck for a whole year...
Actually, with gas prices, you can find used ones for a really good price. I don't know if I would be afraid of the camp grounds....I would just be a little careful while picking one to make sure it was properly lighted and had the amenities needed (like a dumping station and internet connection...)

I love to move. I don't want to retire in get stuck in one spot, so I plan to retire into a motor home. Then I can go to different areas of the country when I feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 PM

14 posts, read 38,176 times
This was very good advice! It made an impression in my own situation. Thanks!!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,418 times
I am doing a trial period with a friend I've known for about 5 years now. Its been less than a week and he already pissed me off royally...

I had arrangements for a client to meet at the house, as I work in the field and occasionally I'll have prospects come to my place (or coffee shop whatever) and we'll go over a workout routine, gather questions etc..

Well, this client was to come at 630 tonight. I asked my friend, who gets off at 630 pm if he could allow us time after he got off work. He says I should have done it earlier, and he has nowhere to go to after work; its cold, yada yada. I would have had the meeting over and finished with by 7:30.

7:38 gets here and he texts me, "is the meeting over yet?" I texted in utter contempt..."you sent me 4 messages telling me I couldn't have the meeting at the house, you've got to be kidding me! He says that he texted me that I could go ahead and do so just this once, but any other time it'd have to be prior to 630 when he gets off work. A text message I never recieved

Being that I lost money and wasted time due to his impatient behavior, he failed the test. He is an unsuitable roommate as he was not considerate of what I had planned, and then he changed his mind last minute.

All in all, I'll probably be out of here within the next 7 days or so...and since I drove 1,700 miles to be here, looking at about 14 days. This will probabaly be the quickest I've stayed in one place!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
How do you travel safely driving across country alone? I moved to Hickory,NC in July of this year and I moved here to be closer to my only adult son and his wife as I'm getting up in years.I got a nice place to live after I found a job but the job didn't last unfortunately.So now I;m making the long trip back to California where I have friends and family(brothers and sisters) but I'm very nervous about driving alone.What should I watch out for ? I have good common sense but sometimes that isn't enough--any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I graduated from high school in 2000 and from 2000 to 2008 I moved at least once a year except for 2003. I helped people move in 2003 and 2010 so have been involved with it for the better part of a decade. I have lived in a total of 5 towns in two different states. I am looking to move again this summer but have vowed that it will be my last move. I like going to different places but moving does get old. The shortest time I have lived in a town was 10 months. Sometimes it is necessary to move but it is also bad to job hop.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Nursecheryl, the thing to be most cautious about is rest areas. Do not stop at any rest area to sleep, get to a motel. I was with family in the middle of nowhere Montana once and we stopped at rest area to catch a few z's before driving. I don't know how long we were out but a truck full of some pretty sketchy looking people had pulled up next to us and were all staring at the car. We drove off in a pretty big hurry. Try to fill up before dark if you can. I've traveled alone across Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, and Nebraska numerous times and have never had problems. You might also consider taking a can of mace with you just in case. With common sense I'm sure you can avoid most problems. Drive safely!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursecheryl View Post
How do you travel safely driving across country alone? I moved to Hickory,NC in July of this year and I moved here to be closer to my only adult son and his wife as I'm getting up in years.I got a nice place to live after I found a job but the job didn't last unfortunately.So now I;m making the long trip back to California where I have friends and family(brothers and sisters) but I'm very nervous about driving alone.What should I watch out for ? I have good common sense but sometimes that isn't enough--any suggestions?
.......The following suggestion is not to be considered a "joke" or a "smart a$$" response....................................
If you are really that concerned and nervous about your trip, Get yourself a male "store mannequin", dress him up with a suitable shirt and jacket...a ball cap....and a pair of dark glasses........................and tie him in a natural position in the front seat. Really......it's worked for several women I know who have had to travel through "undesireable" areas in cities and even just open country areas that bothered them.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Nursecheryl, the thing to be most cautious about is rest areas. Do not stop at any rest area to sleep, get to a motel. I was with family in the middle of nowhere Montana once and we stopped at rest area to catch a few z's before driving. I don't know how long we were out but a truck full of some pretty sketchy looking people had pulled up next to us and were all staring at the car. We drove off in a pretty big hurry. Try to fill up before dark if you can. I've traveled alone across Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, and Nebraska numerous times and have never had problems. You might also consider taking a can of mace with you just in case. With common sense I'm sure you can avoid most problems. Drive safely!
Good suggestions! Truth? I try to avoid rest stops altogether, honestly. I stop and do ALL my business (lol, gas/bathroom) at the gas stations. Agreed.... many Montana rest stops are a little creepy, with them being as isolated as they are. You have to plan your travels carefully going through Montana. It's huge and much of it is so isolated. If you're going from east to west/west to east through Montana, try to plan it so that you're only stopping at gas stations in the "major" cities, for the most part. That'd be my advice.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Sometimes it is necessary to move but it is also bad to job hop.

Yep. It is. I was pretty much turned down by a prospective employer after I moved here and I knew it was because I didn't have any long employment records. I have a clean employment record. I didn't walk out on any jobs. Good references. Always give my notice. You know it's going well when the first words out of her mouth at the beginning of the interview are, "Well I see you've had a lot of short stints...."

Bummer, because I really wanted that job. But, God always places you where you're meant to be. I now have a job that is just as good as that one. I think employers need realize long "stints" are not in the cards for some of us. I have probably changed jobs more than I would have liked. But that's how it is sometimes. As long as our references are clean... that's the big thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues