Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

If you have a laptop, head to your local Starbucks and tune in to their free Wifi.

Not the perfect solution but still good enough until they start your Internet service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't understand why you need a SSN to get utilities. Okay, I've lived in the same house for three decades (two decades too many). Maybe things changed. I don't see why a valid in-state drivers' license shouldn't suffice. Did you try that?

Otherwise, in some ways a taxpayer ID number (TIN) is somewhat similar to a SSN and maybe would suffice. A few years ago when I initiated my corporation I got a TIN over the phone. Perhaps an individual can get a TIN in the same way, and in a similar time frame?

And again otherwise, I don't see why 2-3 months of anticipated utility bills shouldn't be a reasonable deposit, not a whole year!
They check your credit for utilities to see if you have to pay a deposit so that's why they request a SSN.

I think she needs a SSN to get a drivers license....to convert from international. Only US Citizens get drivers licenses from the US. She's already applied for a SSN so I'm not sure the sense in getting a TIN unless she can get it faster than a SSN. I thought TIN numbers were only for businesses?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:05 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
They check your credit for utilities to see if you have to pay a deposit so that's why they request a SSN.

I think she needs a SSN to get a drivers license....to convert from international. Only US Citizens get drivers licenses from the US. She's already applied for a SSN so I'm not sure the sense in getting a TIN unless she can get it faster than a SSN. I thought TIN numbers were only for businesses?
yeah, only moved here 4 weeks ago and no SSN yet and as I won't be working here I won't be paying taxes so no need for TIN.... I guess.....

Am currently driving illegally despite the hire car being insured as apparently I should convert to a US licence within 30 days of moving to NY state.. crazy system, you can only apply for a SSN 10 working days after moving here and they take 30 days to issue and only then can you apply for the learners permit to be able to convert your licence..... completely impossible....

got the utilities sorted, hubby did it........

Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post

ITIN"s are for immigrants who are not citizens of the country, but want to work here anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues