Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM

31 posts, read 76,915 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving moving (sort of) to Colorado (Denver area) soon (15th of January 2011). I don't really want to drive, so was looking into shipping services.

I got some quotes, some better than others. I got a quote for 500 "all inclusive" 3-4 day notice service. Then somebody else gave me a 650 quote for 3-4 day service, and when I told her about the 500 quote, and she told me to consider that these guys use the same truck drivers as each other, and anyone that low balls so much more than other people is not really right and I could be stuck without my car moving for awhile.

I also got a car from a rather serious and heavy sounding guy who told me that 'it was a big deal that I got a call from them', and that unlike the other guys they had their own trucks and didn't 'just post up your order on the internet'. The guys attitude put me off so I didn't continue with it. He gave me a quote of 900 and said that this was the only way to go if I was serious about getting my car to denver by the 15th.

whats the deal, whats the low down? How does all this work?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
You didn't say were you were moving from or to or even the mechanical condition and type of vehicle you want to ship but it looks like you stumbled into a 'find-a-autohauler' business lead generation website. I pity you.

Unless it's a small sedan traveling less than 800 miles, I'd be suspicious about the first two rates quoted. They both look like low-ball prices quoted by unregulated transportation brokers just to obtain your business.

Since both allowed three days transit, I suspect you're moving over 1500 miles. If that's the case, the $900 price quoted by the actual carrier is the most legit price you mentioned. Generally I allow $0.60 per mile for the purchased transportation cost regardless of the type or profile of the vehicle being moved. 1500 miles x .60= $900.

Typically transit is figured as 3-14 days, but depends on the auto transporters current traffic patterns and available carrier capacity.

If you're shopping by price, pick the rock-bottom bidder and perhaps you'll get your car someday. It usually take awhile for low cost auto brokers have to find someone desperate enough to accept their terms.

Check out this article for some useful tips. How to ship a motor vehicle

Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 AM

Hi, sorry bout that..

moving from dallas to denver. Its just about 700 miles I believe. Its a lexus rx300 in good condition.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Too bad you dont know some one with some free time as they could just drive the car there for you and take a bus back..
The transport you are looking at is Flatbed transport?/
there are Drive-a-way companies that will get some one to drive the car there for you.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
I've hired 2 different transporters out of Hemming motor news.Hemmings Motor News: Cars for Sale

Both did a very good job at reasonable rates.

It sounds like you got a hold of a broker.
For a better a rate contact the transport company directly.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:37 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
If it's a Lexus, and you want decent insurance coverage, the $900 quote is probably the most accurate. Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) is large auto transporter (170+ carriers) based in Dallas. See what they offer.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Too bad you dont know some one with some free time as they could just drive the car there for you and take a bus back..
The transport you are looking at is Flatbed transport?/
there are Drive-a-way companies that will get some one to drive the car there for you.
The drive-away sounds like a good option, but a google search for drive-away car dallas, or drive away car service doesn't show up any accurate results.

Also, I came down to CO to look for places to rent, and from what I am seeing I don't think an rx300 is the best car for the winter. Its too tall and light for the snow and all the hills- doesn't have the stability of a normal SUV or 4wd. Also want to get a new car just cause..I don't really need an SUV either. I am thinking I might sell and buy something else. Any suggestions? Probably a standard or mid-size, I want to stick to lexus or toyota.

My rx300 is valued at around $9000. I could put up another 1k if needed and buy something for about 10k. I know prices will vary by area, but any suggestions? Something thats also good for snowy areas..

Thanks for the responses

Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM

232 posts, read 676,569 times
I shipped 2 cars from CA to FL, and then from FL to NV. Both times I used the same company (B&T Auto Transport). I paid about $900 for each car on both trips. I would be careful of the low ball estimates. You get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues