Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times

Advertisements

I am sick and tired of hauling STUFF all over the country. We've moved a total of 5 times in about 25 years, not that much, but seems I'm always toting STUFF!!!

No, I'm not a hoarder, far from it, I'm always looking for ways to get rid of stuff!Garage sales, donations to Goodwill, extra trash haul offs, still wind up with more stuff than I can handle!

Why do I have so much STUFF?

We moved into this house about 8 months ago, there's a ton of stuff in boxes in the garage. I'm thinking seriously of calling Goodwill to simply haul it off, I don't care what's in it, if I haven't used it by now I don't need it!

But its simply too valuable to just toss. I have a ton of Savorski crystal, Lennox china, Lladro figurines---I HATE those things! Seems every holiday someone buys me one of those---WTF good are they? Its not like you can do anything with them except put them in glass cases and hope the kids and cats don't break them. Maybe I can use them for target practice Or have a garage sale, all trinkets, $1 each, just get them out of here!

Its ok when you are living somewhere, but when its time to move, oh, then WTH to do with them? Spend hours wrapping them in bubble wrap, pack with utmost care, take out extra insurance, only to get to the new place and display them again---I'm starting to feel like I'm living in some sort of museum.

Ok, maybe I will do this---try selling one at a time on Ebay. But I hate selling on Ebay, such a pain, but you do get some money. Perhaps put that aside into the next move fund. Or maybe I could set them out on the street with a sign---free, please take! Or, here's the best idea--next move, simply leave them behind, let the new owners figure out what to do with thousands of $$$ worth of useless trinkets!

Ok, rant over, sometimes we all need to vent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:29 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,697 times
Not to sound like a snot, but if you're willing to simply give it all away, then ship it to me and I'll sell it myself. I could use thousands of $$$ right now.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
I would take a good look on ebay to see what this stuff is REALLY going for. If it is still a good amount of money, then take the time to list it.

If you find it really is not going for what it was worth at one time, you may be surprised to see how much the Gov't allows for it to be a deductible charitable write off.

I use "It's deductable" free online program. It may be best to get rid of the stuff and take the deduction.

As said before, Your possessions can easily own you if you let them......

Frank

Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
You hate what you buy;Ok. Sell it before the next move and solve your problem.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,158 times
Instead of thinking how valuable it is, think about how much it costs you. Your time is worth something! And what about the cost of moving and storing the stuff? What about the energy you spend just thinking about it? Is it worth it?

Maybe you could find someone in your area who likes to sell on eBay and give the stuff to her on consignment. If you got a tiny amount of money for it, wouldn't it be better than dragging it with you through life?

Sorry, I don't know how you can stop people from giving you more of it. Maybe if you don't display any of it people will stop thinking it makes good gifts.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Default Moving woes...

I am moving soon MARYLEEII and understand how you feel. Months ago I started reviewing items and donating a little at a time. Thinking of it all at once is overwhelming! The Goodwill/Salvation Army trucks have been here 3 times in the last 6 months and I am not through yet.

***The more I give away the better I feel*** it is true: our accumulations weigh us down. I am looking forward to having only items very useful and/or very beautiful and nothing else!!

gbh

Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,972 times
I'm with you! The older I get the less I want "stuff" around. All it looks like is WORK to me. Dusting it, having to store it safely, boxes of it are heavy and always in the way, and when you have to move (as you say)---Oy Vey!!! Every time I get rid of something I feel better, but I certainly don't do it often enough.

Maybe try reading a few "de-cluttering" books for inspiration to unload a lot of it. Take the advice of a senior citizen (that's me) get rid of it before you get much older because now at my age the job makes me tired just to think of it. I truly don't have the energy or will to do it and wish I could afford to call someone in to do the job of de-cluttering my "stuff", but I can't, so it all just sits there leering at me, ha ha.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Not to sound like a snot, but if you're willing to simply give it all away, then ship it to me and I'll sell it myself. I could use thousands of $$$ right now.

Problem is, its an effort just to give them away! I mean, pack them tote them etc!

Besides, you don't get "thousands" for selling that stuff. I looked up some LLadro figurines on Ebay, I know they cost about $500 each, recently going on Ebay for about $30 Now if I'd just put that money in a mutual fund, or bought gold way back.............

Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 PM

81 posts, read 307,334 times
Have you thought about trading items on craigslist for stuff you need, or putting an add up as "selling in bulk must take ALL!" ? I bet if you put a price on it that u would feel comfortable with and made a list of what u had in the tubs someone would definitely take it even if it's "all or nothing". Or u can always call American Pickers? Lol

Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moey91 View Post
Have you thought about trading items on craigslist for stuff you need, or putting an add up as "selling in bulk must take ALL!" ? I bet if you put a price on it that u would feel comfortable with and made a list of what u had in the tubs someone would definitely take it even if it's "all or nothing". Or u can always call American Pickers? Lol
I agree with selling it all in a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues