Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM

570 posts, read 882,544 times

Advertisements

just sell the cats , and get some DOGS when you get there, DOGS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
I moved my cat into a house that had previously been home to 2 cats. Someone recommended a product called Feliway. It is a happy cat hormone you plug into an outlet like an airfreshener. Costs a bit of money but worth every penny. You could use it in the old house as you prepare to move, sprinkle a bit in the car carrier, then plug it in at the new home.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
I have small cat carriers and have used them to move with the cats in the past, but they hate them and howl and squirm and pee and tear at the wire and generally make both their lives and mine miserable.

Someone on the cat forum suggested that I put the 3 of them together in a large DOG crate - so that's what I'm doing. I took the backseats out of my van, and bought a 48 x 48 x 32 soft sided dog crate which easily fits into the van cargo area. A litter box fits easily into the crate. Time will tell how this will work, but at least it's making ME feel more confident!
Have you ever considered sedatives? For the first big move (560 miles) I did with my cat, I talked to my vet and she gave us a mild sedative pill. It didn't put her out, just made her kind of drowsy and a lot quieter. It made the move a lot easier on her.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,854 times
Well, thanks for some of the advice. I don't really want to use sedatives because again, I'm trying to keep my cat healthy and I don't think my cat would like the sedatives. Do more harm than good. I just want to keep my cat healthy. And I know most indoor cats would not like the change of being out in a car on a highway driving for hours and then a new house they don't know. I just want to be prepared as best as I can.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Our last cat howled the whole time in the cat carrier. For our last move (3000+miles) the vet gave us sedatives. She slept peacefully the whole trip until nightfall when the howling began. That was our cue to finding a motel room for the night!! We will certainly have sedatives on hand for our new baby just in case. Hopefully, we won't have to use them. It is horrible seeing them suffer screaming and it's dangerous & unnerving for the drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues