Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times

Advertisements

It's true - now Im thankful we held off a long time and didn't buy new - have seen many prices on Craigslist that are lowered again and again - true, some ask outlandish prices and wonder why no one calls for their 20-30+ yr old item/s that's not even photographed (or if it is, it's dark, sometimes cluttered and can't be viewed) - even the Salv. Army etc has some pretty nice furn. and misc. items that prob. didnt sell online or thru local garage sales etc (ours had loads of heavy older tv's w/ remotes, ours will prob. be going there eventually, if they'll take it) - so best to price low and sell fast imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And if you can't get that much for these items? Times are tight and people aren't spending money as freely as they used to.

Mr. Pessimist here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel74 View Post
It's just me, alone, I have enough stuff for a 1BR, but I'm wondering if selling the furniture will be cheaper than paying to have it moved. I got a phone quote from United for $1895, Moving from Kansas city to Greensboro, NC.

I cant' drive a uhaul myself, and I have a car, but even if I sell all my furniture, all my stuff won't fit in my car.

Just brainstorming here, I could use the extra money to relocate, but I will still need a way to get the rest of the stuff there, full kitchen, boxes, I haven't a clue how many but I own about 20 tubs and I usually use those plus a few more boxes, so probably close to 30.

Here's what I would sell.

Queen sized bed, about 6 years old, bedroom set, chest, dresser with mirror, end tables, couch 34" flat screen LED tv and stand, and small desk.

Bed $200
bedroom set $150
couch $100
TV and stand $250
desk $30

total $730

That would seriously bring my estimate down, but then would it be worth it to use a big company for a move like that or something like PODS??

Only thing is, I need someone to load and unload my stuff.

One thing you should know that most moving companies quotes are always low. Once they load the truck they will weigh it and I can just about guarantee that it will come out a lot more then the quote they gave you.

I would get the quote in writing and make sure they guarantee the price. I would ask them if the quote is an estimate and can it change depending on the weight being shipped?

busta

Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM

39 posts, read 84,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
One thing you should know that most moving companies quotes are always low. Once they load the truck they will weigh it and I can just about guarantee that it will come out a lot more then the quote they gave you.

I would get the quote in writing and make sure they guarantee the price. I would ask them if the quote is an estimate and can it change depending on the weight being shipped?

busta

I wondered about this too, but the quote is guaranteed, low or high, that's what I pay. Unless I have some outlandish thing like a piano I didn't tell him about.

I get what you all are saying about selling stuff and just packing my SUV, but it just wont' fit, TRUST me, I know what I have, and there's just no way I'm towing a trailer, I also have a cat, so that takes up a lot of room.

Granted if there was a fire, I wouldn't be heartbroken about MOST of my stuff, but I just want to have this move done, and over with.

Loading a truck myself is not an option, I live on the 3rd floor, and have a bad back. Finding friends is not an option either, as I've exhausted them for prior moves, haha.

My stuff is worth more than $730, that was just list of items I considered selling, and I know I probably wouldn't get that, I start a bit high so they can bid down and I don't feel too ripped off nor do they.

on Second thought, I may keep the stuff, it's in good condition, it works for me. I'm going to need it. Why spend the money buying new stuff, when I can keep this stuff for a while??

The quote United gave me was $1895, after me giving him a list of my stuff.

When I talked to allied, I told him I had a 1BR and that was it and he said, probably $2000, but they do have someone come out and give an estimate, but I said, that seems high and he said, it probably woudln't be much cheaper, unless my apt was just empty (and it's not)

I read about budget on here, seems they are horrid.

I'm not sure who else to check and it doesn't seem anyone else is going to do it any differently.

United told me if it's over, i don't pay more unless there's stuff I didn't mention and he said he over estimates for that reason, but if it's under I dont get a refund.

THey're licensed, bonded, and insured. I don't know what else to ask??

Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
on Second thought, I may keep the stuff, it's in good condition, it works for me. I'm going to need it. Why spend the money buying new stuff, when I can keep this stuff for a while??
This is the line of thinking that I agree with. Sure, get rid of anything you don't use or don't want - but definitely keep the things you do like and use! There are so many people that say "just sell it all" and act like you can replace it easily on the other end - but if you have possessions that you've lovingly picked out, and spent a lot of money on, and you still love them, and they have years of life left in them? It makes no sense to sell those.

You mention the desk as only being worth $30? So maybe it's not quite as nice as the rest of your stuff? Maybe you might want to part with that? Especially if it's bulky or heavy. But the TV? That sounds new enough to have years of live still in it. I'd take it on an item by item basis, and really think hard, because it's only cheaper if you sell more items than you end up buying - if you have to replace a lot, it could end up being a lot more expensive to start over fresh.

If you HAVE to buy a replacement for an item you sell? Only sell if it passes this two-part test... One, you don't love it. You're not attached to this particular item - a replacement would do fine. And two, it's big or bulky or heavy, and the cost to move it would be so high, you would save money to sell it and buy a replacement on the other end.

As for your ideas on how to move, I would urge you to go down to U-Haul and ask if you can sit in one of their new trucks. I don't know about the rent of the country, but in Southern California they have replaced all the old trucks, and the new trucks are no more difficult to drive than a big car - and if you already drive an SUV? You would be fine! And you can either tow your car behind you, or leave it and come back for it later.

Then put an ad on Craigslist for free - or answer an ad - and get a couple of day laborers on moving day. Or if you have a Home Depot in your community, they may have laborers who congregate nearby on Saturdays. Ask around - someone you know will know how to get a couple of guys. And if you only have bed, a couch, a few pieces of furniture, and 30 boxes? They should be able to load that truck in an hour. If you pay them $20 an hour, for one hour? That's only $40. It's cheap.

Just make sure you have everything packed up and ready to go on moving day! If you leave the last few boxes partially packed, and think you'll finish them after the guys leave, and then your suitcase, and your comforters and pillows, and the cat litter box, and the cat carrier? If you have a bad back and live on the third floor, don't leave all that last minute stuff to do yourself. Instead be TOTALLY ready to go when the movers get there. Let them carry down every single box, and your suitcase, and your bedding, and the cat litter box. When they leave, the only thing left in the apartment should be you, your purse, and your cat in his carrier. Then you can take one last walk through, checking one last time, say your goodbyes to your old home, and then lock the door and leave - without being exhausted.

There is one other option I might consider... If you decide to get rid of some of the furniture? Maybe keep the bed and the TV, but get rid of the couch? Then I might have your father alone drive down, and skip the trailer, just use the back of his truck for the bed and other furniture, and whatever boxes you can fit in it. Then use your SUV with a few boxes - but unbox a lot of stuff, and just layer it in the back of the SUV. It's not quite as neat, but you can fit a lot more stuff in a vehicle, if you skip the boxes, and just layer stuff in. When I was evacuated for a week, because of a wildfire nearby, I was shocked at the amount of stuff I fit in a two-seat sports car - but it was an emergency and it was all I had so I made it work! I started with boxes of important papers, and mementos, and my computer and cameras, then layered over that my clothes still on the hangers, and then the bedding. And I fit shoes and books in odd corners. You can fit a LOT in that way!

You would still need the day laborers if you have your Dad come down with his truck, but you could skip the U-Haul truck - so that would be a big savings - but it depends on how much furniture you're willing to part with, whether you could make it work or not.

The one thing I would NOT do is have your Dad bring down his wife and a couple of kids. The main reason is that they will take up room in the truck - room you could fill with your stuff! Four people in the cab of your Dad's truck means no room to put your TV on the backseat, so it travels safely. No room for your larger framed pictures, and the full length mirror, and your favorite lamp, wrapped in your bedding. Everything will have to go in the back of the truck - which means boxes, and more space. That alone would make me want them to stay home - but then when you add in feeding them? And paying for the extra gas their extra weight causes you to use? And maybe an extra hotel room? They can help you unload, when you get there, but I wouldn't invite them along for the whole move.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I am planning a move, on a shoestring. 3000 miles. I am not moving any furniture, just personal stuff, I was thinking about a u-haul trailer for my car...but maybe I can just say if it does not fit in the SUV, it does not go...and I can always send a few boxes ahead. Oh...the pain of moving...and going thru stuff...

Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 AM

You make some valid points and I appreciate the advice, I have ruled out my dad driving, i dont want to put that stress on him and the whole taking the kids was just going to cost WAY too much.

I get what you're saying about packing my SUV, but it's a kia sportage, it's not huge, a couple of my tubs and suitcase would fit and that's it.

I may have sold all my furniture, a friend is actually moving out and has nothing and I totally forgot she would need it. She's going to decide this week.

Otherwise, no other bites on CL, except selling the TV

My question is, if I do sell all my furniture, all I will have left is boxes and 2 bookcases I'm not selling and some of those plastic drawer things, 2 of those.

What company would move just that stuff. I am towing a trailer, I know it might be fine for some of you, but I just can't do it, half way across the us and through mountains, I'm not that good of a driver, and I dont' want to risk it.

there's no way I"m paying $1900 if I sell all my furniture.

Any other bright ideas?

Oh just to clarify I am not attached to any possessions, the desk only cost 45 and I put it together.

thanks everyone for all the tips
Shelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
This is the line of thinking that I agree with. Sure, get rid of anything you don't use or don't want - but definitely keep the things you do like and use! There are so many people that say "just sell it all" and act like you can replace it easily on the other end - but if you have possessions that you've lovingly picked out, and spent a lot of money on, and you still love them, and they have years of life left in them? It makes no sense to sell those.

You mention the desk as only being worth $30? So maybe it's not quite as nice as the rest of your stuff? Maybe you might want to part with that? Especially if it's bulky or heavy. But the TV? That sounds new enough to have years of live still in it. I'd take it on an item by item basis, and really think hard, because it's only cheaper if you sell more items than you end up buying - if you have to replace a lot, it could end up being a lot more expensive to start over fresh.

If you HAVE to buy a replacement for an item you sell? Only sell if it passes this two-part test... One, you don't love it. You're not attached to this particular item - a replacement would do fine. And two, it's big or bulky or heavy, and the cost to move it would be so high, you would save money to sell it and buy a replacement on the other end.

As for your ideas on how to move, I would urge you to go down to U-Haul and ask if you can sit in one of their new trucks. I don't know about the rent of the country, but in Southern California they have replaced all the old trucks, and the new trucks are no more difficult to drive than a big car - and if you already drive an SUV? You would be fine! And you can either tow your car behind you, or leave it and come back for it later.

Then put an ad on Craigslist for free - or answer an ad - and get a couple of day laborers on moving day. Or if you have a Home Depot in your community, they may have laborers who congregate nearby on Saturdays. Ask around - someone you know will know how to get a couple of guys. And if you only have bed, a couch, a few pieces of furniture, and 30 boxes? They should be able to load that truck in an hour. If you pay them $20 an hour, for one hour? That's only $40. It's cheap.

Just make sure you have everything packed up and ready to go on moving day! If you leave the last few boxes partially packed, and think you'll finish them after the guys leave, and then your suitcase, and your comforters and pillows, and the cat litter box, and the cat carrier? If you have a bad back and live on the third floor, don't leave all that last minute stuff to do yourself. Instead be TOTALLY ready to go when the movers get there. Let them carry down every single box, and your suitcase, and your bedding, and the cat litter box. When they leave, the only thing left in the apartment should be you, your purse, and your cat in his carrier. Then you can take one last walk through, checking one last time, say your goodbyes to your old home, and then lock the door and leave - without being exhausted.

There is one other option I might consider... If you decide to get rid of some of the furniture? Maybe keep the bed and the TV, but get rid of the couch? Then I might have your father alone drive down, and skip the trailer, just use the back of his truck for the bed and other furniture, and whatever boxes you can fit in it. Then use your SUV with a few boxes - but unbox a lot of stuff, and just layer it in the back of the SUV. It's not quite as neat, but you can fit a lot more stuff in a vehicle, if you skip the boxes, and just layer stuff in. When I was evacuated for a week, because of a wildfire nearby, I was shocked at the amount of stuff I fit in a two-seat sports car - but it was an emergency and it was all I had so I made it work! I started with boxes of important papers, and mementos, and my computer and cameras, then layered over that my clothes still on the hangers, and then the bedding. And I fit shoes and books in odd corners. You can fit a LOT in that way!

You would still need the day laborers if you have your Dad come down with his truck, but you could skip the U-Haul truck - so that would be a big savings - but it depends on how much furniture you're willing to part with, whether you could make it work or not.

The one thing I would NOT do is have your Dad bring down his wife and a couple of kids. The main reason is that they will take up room in the truck - room you could fill with your stuff! Four people in the cab of your Dad's truck means no room to put your TV on the backseat, so it travels safely. No room for your larger framed pictures, and the full length mirror, and your favorite lamp, wrapped in your bedding. Everything will have to go in the back of the truck - which means boxes, and more space. That alone would make me want them to stay home - but then when you add in feeding them? And paying for the extra gas their extra weight causes you to use? And maybe an extra hotel room? They can help you unload, when you get there, but I wouldn't invite them along for the whole move.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
all I will have left is boxes and 2 bookcases I'm not selling and some of those plastic drawer things, 2 of those.
Quote:
the desk only cost 45 and I put it together.
I would definitely get rid of things like bookcases and plastic drawers and a $45 desk - none of that is worth hauling back. It's just not...

Personally I've never tried PODS, but since you don't want to drive the truck, or haul a trailer, it seems like it might be a viable alternative?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I would definitely get rid of things like bookcases and plastic drawers and a $45 desk - none of that is worth hauling back. It's just not...

Personally I've never tried PODS, but since you don't want to drive the truck, or haul a trailer, it seems like it might be a viable alternative?
well, that makes a lot of sense, but one of the main reasons I considered selling the furniture is because I needed the cash, and I Thought it would decrease the move estimate, however, the minimum even Allied is saying is based on 2000lbs, which would cost about $1900,

My stuff is not worth that much!

However, i can't very well arrive to an empty apartment with nothing but clothes and expect to live very comfortably.

I would even have the option of leaving furniture that didn't sell, here, because I live with a roommate that is not moving out and not getting another roommate.

Maybe I could ship my winter clothes? and pack the rest in my SUV? and after my first payday which is probably going to be a month buy a bed at the very minimum?

Ugh I don't know what to do.

After purging and selling all the furniture it probably would all fit in my SUV. I could buy an air mattress.

I have a fair amount of kitchen stuff, but nothing I couldn't live without, meaning I could take enough to live on, it's just me by myself.

I just can't see justifying 2grand to move a bunch of inexpensive stuff, I mean it's no more than what a college kid buys, except my bed it is pretty nice, but only cost about 600 and it's 4 years old.

Just thinking out loud here, anything else I'm forgetting?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Oh I looked at the cost of PODS and it's nearly just as much, by the time I paid for someone to load it and unload it.

Quote:
well, that makes a lot of sense, but one of the main reasons I considered selling the furniture is because I needed the cash, and I Thought it would decrease the move estimate, however, the minimum even Allied is saying is based on 2000lbs, which would cost about $1900,

My stuff is not worth that much!

However, i can't very well arrive to an empty apartment with nothing but clothes and expect to live very comfortably.

I would even have the option of leaving furniture that didn't sell, here, because I live with a roommate that is not moving out and not getting another roommate.

Maybe I could ship my winter clothes? and pack the rest in my SUV? and after my first payday which is probably going to be a month buy a bed at the very minimum?

Ugh I don't know what to do.

After purging and selling all the furniture it probably would all fit in my SUV. I could buy an air mattress.

I have a fair amount of kitchen stuff, but nothing I couldn't live without, meaning I could take enough to live on, it's just me by myself.

I just can't see justifying 2grand to move a bunch of inexpensive stuff, I mean it's no more than what a college kid buys, except my bed it is pretty nice, but only cost about 600 and it's 4 years old.

Just thinking out loud here, anything else I'm forgetting?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
You could check ABF Relocubes....smaller and cheaper.

Could you put the bookcases on top of the SUV, tied SECURELY?

I just drove 1300 miles in my Prius, with a huge cedar chest in the back seat, two antique end tables behind that, along with boxes, a smaller totem pole, (don't ask), a big suitcase, a suitbag, computer backpack, medical bag, and a bunch of tools, etc....and a wife in the passenger seat......and I was able to see out the back window clearly.

You would be surprised what a good packer can pack.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues