Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,104 times

Advertisements

I am moving to LA this August with the gf, but the only problem is that we currently live 600 miles apart (Me in PA, her in IL).

We are trying to price out options now for the move, but I figured I would check here to see what people could suggest. Would it be better to uhaul/penske etc from PA to IL and then get some PODS/ABF type of deal to LA? Or setup u-pack here and in IL?

It certainly would be better to drive just our car across the country and not have to worry about the additional cost of gas this summer driving a truck and having the car on the trailer.

Any help or recommendations would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
Many metropolitan area in both locations prohibit the placement of an unattended trailer or container on a public access thoroughfare. Check with the containers companies to see what service limitations they have.

Responsible full service movers are required to price your situation according to the cheapest option for the customer.
  • Individually as two separate moves
  • Pennsylvania to Los Angeles with an extra pick up in Illinois.
Under most interstate carriers tariffs, it's usually cheaper to pay total weight total miles and an extra pick up charge. As the weight increases, the transportation rate decreases.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Assuming your PA to IL load is small enough, consider using your car to pull a Uhaul trailer to IL, and load an ABF cube there.

If cube parking is an issue, you can load & unload them at their terminal (using the trailer from PA in IL)

Without knowing the size of the 2 loads (in cubic feet and weight) it's hard to suggest much more.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,104 times
Ok, sorry about that.
I would say it is a full 1-bedroom apartment from PA (bed, couch, chair, dresser, clothes, 5 bicycles). I did it in a 14 ft uhaul I think to get out here.

It would be about the same size load in IL, no bed, but larger bookshelves (4), kitchen table, coffee table, end tables, entertainment center (5x3ft), and a lot of her clothes. maybe 50 boxes (cases of alcohol--free boxes ftw).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues