Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I want to move back to San Francisco, or the Bay Area at least, but being older and wiser..I worry about the money issues...

As do I, MaggieZ. That's a very real concern for anyone who a little "long in the tooth." Still, there are a number of places where one can live a good life without a boatload of cash. It all depends on what that person enjoys in their daily life. Fortunately, for me, I love the simple things in life; gardening being the first on that list. All I need is a place where the sun shines more than not. That pretty much rules out much of the northern hemisphere, though. Although the eastern part of the U.S. is bad for my asthma, too. Too high in humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
the Bay area is really not good for my arthritis so I need to find a warmer place (not too hot) with low humidity that's cheap... maybe something in California close eneough to the Bay area so I can visit from time to time.. or else I need to just go to the Mediterranean and learn Italian or Spanish or Greek!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I've done this about 5-6 times...so much that I am tired of it and just want to stay PUT.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,968 times
Well, I'm about to do this. I've had a steady job but it is about to take my sanity so I'm about to pick up and move with no job lined up. And even though I'm terrified, and in my late 30's, the plus side is I'll be able to crash in my parents' guest room. My head is telling me that from a monetary standpoint this is a bad thing to do but emotionally I can't take my job anymore. So I'm moving about 1400 miles away to regroup. At least I'm single...no dependents or animals.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
It's something i've always fantasized about doing but transportation is so damn expensive these days. It would cost me at least $60 (gas and tolls) just to get out of my Metropolitan area/region. And don't most Motels now require you to be 25 to rent out a room? None of my friends have an adventure mentality so I would likely be travelling all alone. On the other hand, I'm already satisfied in the region I live in even though I didn't choose to have grown up here. It's just not realistic to me, in my case.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 01-08-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 AM

12 posts, read 14,407 times
I just hate packing things and move to another place. But sometime nobody can help you out. You have to do this whether you like it or not.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
I'm leaving, gave my boss my notice three weeks ago, and I've never felt so relieved. Ugh, let me tell you, this place I've found to be just miserable; I've tried to make the best of it, truly, I tried thinking positive for three years (yes, that's a long time) so you see, in the end it's just too hard to make farm country in Calif. to meet my end goals.

So I'm done here, packed my stuff, moving in with a friend in L.A., I have no job lined up, not looking back, and could not feel more elated.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 PM

553 posts, read 479,936 times
My first move was when I was 18 years old and I've been moving every few years since. (am now 42) I can honestly say that each and every time we just packed and went without jobs waiting usually but normally with an apartment/house set up before we arrived.

My children are mostly all grown now, except for my youngest and they tagged along with me for most of my moves. (first few were done before I had kids) They were usually quite happy to travel and see the sights. Most of our moves were over a thousand miles each with either my husband or myself driving. My last move I was recently separated and drove a 24 foot moving truck all by myself for the 3 day trek from Arizona to Missouri. I have to admit it was the least "fun" of all our moves but I had a sense of accomplishment when we arrived because not many women can say they handled a fully loaded "semi-sized" truck for 1,200 miles with no help whatsoever.

I've never really been happy in one place for more than 2-3 years though and I've reached that mark this new year, so we are looking to move again and I've promised myself and my children that this will be our last hurrah. It will also be my longest drive yet, equaling almost 1,900 miles and once more driving the whole way solo in another moving truck.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM

44 posts, read 85,689 times
I'm getting ready to do it myself. This will be the fifth time in my life that I've done it that way, and the fourth time that it was at least partly my own idea. (The first time was nearly 25 years ago and was my parents' idea, not mine. I was guilted into it.)

Moves #2, 3 and 4 were all within a single state, and involved job offers or requested job transfers that required a move, or in the case of #4, also turning a serious long-distance relationship into living together/marriage.

Move #5 is coming up, and involves relocating for reasons of climate and education. As a middle-aged childless divorcee, I'm relocating to a place with a milder climate and more affordable higher education so I can make a career change.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm with everyone else it seems. If you're able to squirrel away enough to live on for several months and have little keeping you there you might as well go for it. I would warn against a major cross country move as that can be a shock to the system as well as an expensive move. Sometimes when one is trying to get away from a bad situation the tendency is to want to get as far away as possible, which results in a bit of overkill if you're to bear in mind travelling a few hundred miles from most anywhere in the US usually results in much different geography and lifestyle. North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida are much closer states with some viable options for you. Good luck with the move and search, let us know where you decide you're headed!
That's a good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues