Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM

446 posts, read 709,623 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking there are three options:

1) Full Service. Mayflower, or Allied, or some big company comes up, loads up your stuff, takes it there and unloads it.

Pro: Simple. Con: Pricey.

2) Pods. They deliver pods to your house, you load them (hire people to help). They move the pods, you unload them.

Pro: Is this cheaper than full service? I'm not sure. Pro and Con: You have more control over the packing process, but it's a PITA. Con: I don't think they get to the destination very fast.

3) Rent a truck. Hire loaders. Drive it there yourself. Hire unloaders.

Pro: Maybe cheaper. Con: Who wants to drive a truck 1400 miles?

Does this pretty much sum it up? Or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
The number of moving product or service options depends on the relocation budget, origin and destination location, size of household, scope of transportation and accessorial services required to complete the move, and physical fitness (or limitations) unique to each consumer.

Many municipalities, apartment and condominium owners, and neighborhood associations prohibit the placement of unattended trailers or mobile portable containers on private property or in public access thoroughfares.

The quantity and/or size of items in a home may exceed the dimensions and/or weight restrictions of the available rental equipment.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Wow. Lifestyles of the rich....

1. Rent a Uhaul trailer, load and unload it yourself.
2. Throw stuff away. Pack your car with what is left.
3. Pack boxes. Call UPS for pick up. Take Greyhound bus to destination.

Those have been my options....what am I missing?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Wow. Lifestyles of the rich....

1. Rent a Uhaul trailer, load and unload it yourself.
2. Throw stuff away. Pack your car with what is left.
3. Pack boxes. Call UPS for pick up. Take Greyhound bus to destination.

Those have been my options....what am I missing?
You are missing that you are 23 years old? 27? 30?

I'm almost 60. Own a piano. And a house full of furniture and stuff.

The old days of 'get a truck and just move all your stuff' are 30 years behind me.

This is a 1400 mile trip. If I shipped everything UPS it would cost me a small fortune.

You may enjoy being snarky and making things about yourself, but that is no help to anyone else.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
The number of moving product or service options depends on the relocation budget, origin and destination location, size of household, scope of transportation and accessorial services required to complete the move, and physical fitness (or limitations) unique to each consumer.

Many municipalities, apartment and condominium owners, and neighborhood associations prohibit the placement of unattended trailers or mobile portable containers on private property or in public access thoroughfares.

The quantity and/or size of items in a home may exceed the dimensions and/or weight restrictions of the available rental equipment.
Are you a lawyer? Or a politician? Because you've used a lot of words here and they sound like they sort of make sense.

But none of them are particularly helpful.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:13 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
Sorry. I spent four decades in the movin' business trying to help folks make decision like this.

It doesn't to any good to load a portable moving container at origin if the freight transportation company can't deliver it to your destination address because of legal restrictions.

The largest 26 ft rental truck will only accommodate about 9500 pounds of normal household goods if packed by professional movers. Don't plan on paying some inexperienced craigslist day laborers a few bucks to try to pack 12,000 lbs. of your stuff into it. Normally they'll only get about 6,000-7,000 lbs inside. Then you either have to make two trips .... or rent another truck.

In either case, full service movers would probably be cheaper.

How to calculate space when moving | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Old 11-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Sorry. I spent four decades in the movin' business trying to help folks make decision like this.

It doesn't to any good to load a portable moving container at origin if the freight transportation company can't deliver it to your destination address because of legal restrictions.

The largest 26 ft rental truck will only accommodate about 9500 pounds of normal household goods if packed by professional movers. Don't plan on paying some inexperienced craigslist day laborers a few bucks to try to pack 12,000 lbs. of your stuff into it. Normally they'll only get about 6,000-7,000 lbs inside. Then you either have to make two trips .... or rent another truck.

In either case, full service movers would probably be cheaper.

How to calculate space when moving | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place
Thanks, that's helpful. I guess I'm leaning towards a Allied or Mayflower or something like that.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Snarky? Hardly. Just discussing additional options....as you requested. Sorry. Thought I was being helpful. This is information for others who may not have resources.

Wish you the best on your move. If possible, ask for references from movers you are considering. Or get referrals from people you know. This is not a time to "bargain" shop...or call some cheap person on CL. With a piano to move, I would hire professionals.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-10-2012, 02:39 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Does this pretty much sum it up? Or am I missing something?
So, Glendale Arizona to where?
Are you moving out of a single story house, inside the city limits, or an apartment?
Same question for what type dwelling you are moving into.

My 3 man crew helped unload 3 Pods in downtown Charlotte, N.C. There were no restrictions to that. Another time we unloaded a 18 wheeler with no truck. They back the trailer into the end street and we unloaded.

Charlotte is not the biggest city in the country, so maybe a place like downtown Manhattan, N.Y. has restrictions.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
1. Hire the professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues