Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 60,256 times

Advertisements

I'm planning and analyzing a move from Delaware, OH to Denver, CO. I have been drawn to the idea of moving for about a year ever since I vacationed there on a 2 week long train trip from Chicago to San Francisco.

I know I know, falling in love with a place and saying "Oh boy, it sure would be nice to live here" is normal, however I have been thinking about moving out of Ohio for awhile and Colorado seems to fit my lifestyle so very well.

My Uncle and I wanted to move out together for years and now that I have set a perfect destination it has set the ball rolling. This will be my first time that I'm responsible for the move and since it it literally going to be leaving it all behind to move 1,300 or so miles across the US, I need to make sure I have everything in order to make it a successful journey and transition.

First off is the Money required. I believe that traveling expenses to get there will cost around $2,500 dollars. That includes buying a used car, gas and random things (tolls, food, etc). Next, is the cost to live while getting acclimated there whether it's getting situated at work or finding a job. By the way, I plan on finding a job before moving there but I find it hard to believe that an employer will accept or even consider hiring someone moving from another state. Anyway, I estimate the cost of being able to rent a decent apartment for 3 months(as I said to get situated/find work), would be around $3,000(rent, utilities, food). On top of that, we won't be taking much with us except what can squeeze into a car, So basically clothes, computers, and other important things.

Overall I think we have a good chance at succeeding because not only do we have each other, but we are moving for good reasons. We aren't moving to get away from a bad environment or because we think it will help us change the way we are. We aren't depressed where we are living now, we just really love the idea of moving there. We believe that the lifestyle there fits ours so perfectly.

So I would love some advice/feedback on this plan. If I am missing an important aspect please tell me, that is the whole reason I am posting here. We plan to move in about 4-5 Months so we have time to work out everything. I'm looking forward to any feedback, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
There are various cost of living calculators available online.
Look them up and compare your current city with the one you're considering.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
I have done this a few times, and in the end, it usually works out well.
Don't assume that that employers wouldn't hire someone living in another state, it happens all the time. (Depending on the job/profession) You can use your computer and job sites to search for
possible employment - and it would make renting a place easier when you got there (some places
want you to be already employed in the area to give you a lease.
Colorado may be more expensive than you are planning though, I think I would save a bit more if I were you.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel More View Post
I'm planning and analyzing a move from Delaware, OH to Denver, CO. I have been drawn to the idea of moving for about a year ever since I vacationed there on a 2 week long train trip from Chicago to San Francisco.

I know I know, falling in love with a place and saying "Oh boy, it sure would be nice to live here" is normal, however I have been thinking about moving out of Ohio for awhile and Colorado seems to fit my lifestyle so very well.

My Uncle and I wanted to move out together for years and now that I have set a perfect destination it has set the ball rolling. This will be my first time that I'm responsible for the move and since it it literally going to be leaving it all behind to move 1,300 or so miles across the US, I need to make sure I have everything in order to make it a successful journey and transition.

First off is the Money required. I believe that traveling expenses to get there will cost around $2,500 dollars. That includes buying a used car, gas and random things (tolls, food, etc). Next, is the cost to live while getting acclimated there whether it's getting situated at work or finding a job. By the way, I plan on finding a job before moving there but I find it hard to believe that an employer will accept or even consider hiring someone moving from another state. Anyway, I estimate the cost of being able to rent a decent apartment for 3 months(as I said to get situated/find work), would be around $3,000(rent, utilities, food). On top of that, we won't be taking much with us except what can squeeze into a car, So basically clothes, computers, and other important things.

Overall I think we have a good chance at succeeding because not only do we have each other, but we are moving for good reasons. We aren't moving to get away from a bad environment or because we think it will help us change the way we are. We aren't depressed where we are living now, we just really love the idea of moving there. We believe that the lifestyle there fits ours so perfectly.

So I would love some advice/feedback on this plan. If I am missing an important aspect please tell me, that is the whole reason I am posting here. We plan to move in about 4-5 Months so we have time to work out everything. I'm looking forward to any feedback, Thanks.
From someone that has done the move as you discribe many times in my life (71yrs old) my only suggestion would be to accept the new location as just that , "NEW", not the same as what you left not something you need to try to change . Once there don't fall into the thought process of "I miss this or that from the old place" , accept the differances and enjoy them all. most of all good luck with your move.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
In general, I'd advise to work up a plan. You and your uncle need to brainstorm about all the needs you will have when you get there. Divide your plan up into objectives to be met on a timeline. That's how DH did it for us when we moved.

I'd advise you to look up CO's requirements for residency, driving licenses, rent laws. Every state maintains an online resource for this. You will need to take along your personal papers. Decide how to safely do this. When we moved, we kept them with us at all times. We divulged to no one that we were moving while we were on the road. We stayed in decent motels, and parked our car under lights and close to our room, whenever possible.

Try to buy your car about 6 weeks before setting out so you can deal with any mechanical issues before hitting the road. About 4 weeks before we moved, our battery went dead. Luckily it went dead in our garage, not at a I-70 motel! You need to make sure that your car will do the trip, so buy wisely and have it gone over by a mechanic before setting out.

We found our apartment online before ever setting out. It was leased to us the day before we arrived. You can do extensive research online to find apartments, but I don't know if you can find a rental if you are not employed.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM

Wow, lots of responses already. To my surprise no one has said "Don't do it!" Heh, really thought someone would because of many other forums I have read about someone moving across states. Anyhow, thanks for the responses very helpful and confirming.

I have looked up the price of living in CO compared to OH , however I have a feeling the info is from 2000, so it is a little out of date, but never the less pretty accurate I think. I have found that the price to live there is really close to how much it costs to live here with the only significant difference is housing cost. The cost of buying a house in CO is like 60% more, and renting is about 12% more. I plan to share the rent cost with my Uncle so 12% is nothing.

Quote:
Don't assume that that employers wouldn't hire someone living in another state, it happens all the time. - and it would make renting a place easier when you got there (some places
want you to be already employed in the area to give you a lease.
That is nice to hear, I was a little worried. I do want to set up a job before we move.

Quote:
Once there don't fall into the thought process of "I miss this or that from the old place" , accept the differances and enjoy them all. most of all good luck with your move.
Totally, I don't believe I will miss anything from where I am now. I believe it doesn't matter where you live you can access just about anything there that I can here. Also, I am a bit of a hermit, but I plan to go out more once I live on my own in that beautiful paradise. :P (Exaggerating a bit there.)

Quote:
I'd advise to work up a plan. You and your uncle need to brainstorm about all the needs you will have when you get there. Divide your plan up into objectives to be met on a timeline. - I'd advise you to look up CO's requirements for residency, driving licenses, rent laws. - You will need to take along your personal papers. Decide how to safely do this. - We stayed in decent motels, and parked our car under lights and close to our room, whenever possible. - Try to buy your car about 6 weeks before setting out so you can deal with any mechanical issues before hitting the road. - We found our apartment online before ever setting out.
This is exactly what I was thinking, I am very analytic and organized and I never do anything with out a checklist and a timeline. - Wonderful advice on the CO requirements, turns out becoming a resident is as simple as staying for 90 days or being gainfully employed, which I plan to be on arrival. Also, after gaining residency I'll have 30 to qualify to get a CO license and 90 days to register a vehicle. So that seems easy enough, great advice. - Our personal papers will be stored in a security box we have had for awhile. - As for the safety while traveling, we plan to do a nonstop drive there with probably 1 sleep stop on the way, because we are simple guys that are certainly not opposed to sleeping in our car. - Yes, I have my eye on a few cars that are said to be maintained before buying. - I plan on finding an apartment before we leave, in fact there are literally hundreds for rent in our price range that I have seen so far. So, I have good feelings about that as well.

So new questions arise from this. Firstly, I can't decide whether it would be a good Idea to buy or lease a car before we go. Buying seems more final so I'd like to do that, however, leasing wouldn't cost as much upfront. So the question is Buy or Lease?

Secondly, I do agree that we should defiantly save a bit more money before heading out, what is a reasonable amount that makes sense for this move? At the moment I believe $6-7k is more than enough to get us there and set us up for a few months. Keep in mind we aren't very complicated in terms of spending. Thanks for the responses, would love more because as I said, I don't like to proceed with anything unless I know I have thought of everything.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 01:29 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
You're very wise to plan ahead and ask for advice. And you stated that Denver 'seems' like the right place, you didn't state it definitely 'is' the right place, meaning you are being open minded and realistic about a new location.

You asked about the amount of money you should have; the biggest issue I can think of is securing employment. Hopefully you will be able to have a job waiting for you; and if not (esp with today's job market), you may want to plan on having a minimum of 6 months income to tide you over until you do get work. And, What type of work are you seeking?

Most LLs require income that is 2-1/2 - 3 x the monthly rent; so that is something to plan on as well.

I wish you and your uncle all the best and hope everything turns out as expected!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Have you posted questions on the Denver forum, asking people who recently moved there if there were any financial surprises for them when they arrived?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Have you posted questions on the Denver forum, asking people who recently moved there if there were any financial surprises for them when they arrived?
I posted a topic saying "Convince me not to move to Colorado". Figuring it would generate views and provide some pretty interesting answers. So far it defiantly has. Thanks.

Quote:
You're very wise to plan ahead and ask for advice. And you stated that Denver 'seems' like the right place, you didn't state it definitely 'is' the right place, meaning you are being open minded and realistic about a new location.

You asked about the amount of money you should have; the biggest issue I can think of is securing employment. Hopefully you will be able to have a job waiting for you; and if not (esp with today's job market), you may want to plan on having a minimum of 6 months income to tide you over until you do get work. And, What type of work are you seeking?

Most LLs require income that is 2-1/2 - 3 x the monthly rent; so that is something to plan on as well.

I wish you and your uncle all the best and hope everything turns out as expected!
First of all Thank you and yes, I believe I need to be 100% before deciding, but so far I haven't seen/heard anything to change my mind. I can't even Imagine leaving without having work as a definite. Also, I can't imagine not being able to find work within 5-6 months after moving there, but I do agree to be more safe than sorry.

Ya 30% max spent on rent is kind of a regular thing, seeing how there will be two of us, I can't see it being hard at all.

Thank you for the responses and best wishes.

By the way.. These forums are pretty darn popular and active, surprised me to get so many responses within a day!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM

I'm so happy to hear you're sensible!
Unfortunately, I've followed threads where people refuse to take advice, and end up moving to their "dream" location, end up living in their cars, and can't figure out where they went wrong.
Nothing but best wishes for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues