Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM

175 posts, read 1,486,442 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I have three cats that are the world to me. I am planning to sell my house and am interviewing real estate agents to list my house. I am worried that while my agent (or the buyers agent) is showing my house to potential buyers, someone (a child perhaps) will inadvertantly let out one of the cats. (they are INDOOR ONLY cats). I have no one to leave them with, I certainly cannot stick them in crates (I work 10 hour shifts), I really don't want to put them in a kennel, and if I lock them in a bathroom or something, then the buyers won't be able to see that room without them getting out!
Any ideas? Anyone have any good ideas on how to get around this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:25 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,417 times
I would get collars with I.D. to begin with. The type of collar that breaks away in case they get caught on a fence. I think having strangers traipsing through the house will freak them out. If they are like most cats they will hide under the bed. Maybe you could designate one room to the cats with good hiding place, food, litter box with instructions that the agent be very cautious with this room because of your cats. Unless you have someone that can take them on the days you are showing your home. Just some thoughts.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM

9,431 posts, read 11,188,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
I would get collars with I.D. to begin with. The type of collar that breaks away in case they get caught on a fence. I think having strangers traipsing through the house will freak them out. If they are like most cats they will hide under the bed. Maybe you could designate one room to the cats with good hiding place, food, litter box with instructions that the agent be very cautious with this room because of your cats. Unless you have someone that can take them on the days you are showing your home. Just some thoughts.
Good idea, I would make sure that room was locked and no agent would have a key. Too many people are too dumb, too careless, or just malignant and I wouldn't trust agents or lookers to do the right thing with the cats.
Set up a couple of motion-activated video cameras and stash the recorder somewhere it can't be gotten easily.
Post lots of pictures of the cat room they can't see. That way they will know what they're missing.
This should not be a deal breaker if folks want the house.
I would not trust strangers with access to our cats. Period.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,454,873 times
Do you have a kennel or Vet you could board them with?
If not that how well do you know your Real Estate person, any chance she will take them in for you, just for the days your going to show them.

I would get them micro-chipped, there is one of them that if the pet is lost, they fax the vets in the area and do all kinds of things to help you find your pets.

Is your work close enough to home that you could leave them out in the morning and then go home at lunch to lock them up in a LARGE crate while the people are there to see the house?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times
Just bring em over here and we will watch em for you

Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,432,820 times
Would put big signs on the back of the front and back doors, reminding visitors that you have cats and they're to be kept inside only - "Please be careful, our kitties need to stay inside" (or something similar). Another thought, get them microchipped just to be on the safe side (and since you're moving, would use your cell phone # (if you have one) or a good friend's ph #).

Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,333,328 times
You can't take a day off while the house is being shown? I would do it just for my cats' safety if I had them; sacrificing a days' work or two even just to have peace of mind is well worth it IMO. I don't see any other foolproof plan. Kennels are out and no friends or neighbors are close enough to you for you to trust them, I understand that; that only leaves you. Are you home certain days of the week? Can you show the house then?
Or...can you get a cage they can all fit in together and take it in your car (if you take a car to work)??? with litter and food and water..just for one day or so? cats are very resilliant and will make it through OK. If you can check on them periodically and even if not...they should be fine as long as you crack a window and park in the shade.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,900 times
I have sold a house before with cats. The agent put a sign at the front by the doorbell saying not to let the cats out. We had no problems at all and I am about to do it again. Agents deal with this all the time.

Just make sure someone can get in touch with you in case they do get out. Most cats will just hide somewhere while the house is being shown. I would certainly not lock them up in a crate for an entire day. There is no telling how long your house will be on the market and you don't want to have to drag them to work with you every day either.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,704,794 times
my cat ran under the bed whenever a stranger came in. My next door friend went away on vacation, one cat I saw, one, I never did see, it just hid. My job to clean litter, and feed. You are so lucky if you get showings in this market. just do the sign posts. etc., the cats will just hide. Also besure this real estate person know this! I wish you luck for the cats and you!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,523,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Good idea, I would make sure that room was locked and no agent would have a key. Too many people are too dumb, too careless, or just malignant and I wouldn't trust agents or lookers to do the right thing with the cats.
Set up a couple of motion-activated video cameras and stash the recorder somewhere it can't be gotten easily.
Post lots of pictures of the cat room they can't see. That way they will know what they're missing.
This should not be a deal breaker if folks want the house.
I would not trust strangers with access to our cats. Period.
Nobody would buy a house with a room they couldn't go in. Doesn't matter how many pictures there are.

I looked at a house (3-4 times) with 3 cats. One I never saw, one hid under a bed mostly, and one was very friendly and came out to rub all over our legs. Of course he could tell we are cat people. It was on the MLS for realtors to be careful not to let the cats out. They never even tried to get out and there were no problems at all.

The most important thing is to keep your litter box scrupulously clean because if people smell cat when they walk in the house, they will be afraid the smell will linger even after you and the cats are gone and cross your house off their list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues