Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 05:11 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,703,540 times

Advertisements

I am curious, and I don't ave any states in mind, but if I work in one state, but live in another, how am I taxed? Say I live in Kentucky, but work in Ohio. Do I pay Ohio taxes from the job(income), and pay Ky taxes for house and sales? An I double taxed form work from both states? Does it depend on which 2 states or is it generic? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,552 times
If I recall correctly, you are typically taxed by the state you work in. However, you need to check with both states involved since there could be some differences.

For example, my husband worked in one state that did not assess state income taxes at all, but he was then required to pay state income to the one in which he lived. Of course, he also had some screwy self-employment stuff going on... I am currently working in one state (and paying state taxes here) but my permanent address remains in another. From my understanding thus far, I will not be paying state taxes there as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,703,540 times
Thanks paramour. I am sure a lot of people do it, since so many larger cities are on borders. I guess if they were doulble taxes, it would not be so appealing.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 PM

86 posts, read 414,019 times
The answer is: it depends.

Most, but not all, states a have a reciprocal income tax agreement with the states adjoining their borders. If the two states you live and work in have this agreement you pay state income to your state of residence as shown on your employement records.

If you are work in interstate commerce (ie trucker, railroader, etc) it doesn't matter about the reciprocal agreement, only your state of residence can tax you.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Each state has its own tax laws and it varies from state to state. My dh's company used to have an office in SC and we live in NC. If I remember correctly (our tax person took care of it) he had to pay taxes in both states, but he got credit in NC for what he paid in SC. It really wasn't enough to worry about.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:24 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,386,313 times
I lived in the DC area for the past 7 years. There you pay taxes for the state you live in. For the first year I lived in VA and worked in VA.. I obviously paid VA state tax. THen I moved to DC, and worked in VA, and I still paid VA state taxes (and NOT DC taxes).

MY boyfriend lived in DC and worked in MD, and he paid DC taxes.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,730 times
Yes, I did the same thing in DC-VA-MD and in NY-CT and the same thing now when I work back forth between CA and TN. Check your state laws to be sure, but you usually pay taxes to your state of legal residence.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:03 PM

630 posts, read 2,227,361 times
Many individuals here in MA live in NH, and pay MA taxes (NH does not have state taxes). When they do their taxes is when they get reimbursed, at least part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues