Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:21 AM

21 posts, read 267,980 times

Advertisements

I'm moving cross-country, from VA to CA around New Year's and have been debating the best way to get my things and my small car out there. I don't have much furniture to move, only a metal bed frame and full size mattresses (which I may even leave behind), two small bookshelfs, a papasan chair, cheap desk, books, clothes and the usual random items. At best, a 10 foot truck will do, however Uhaul seems to be the only company with 10 foot trucks equipped to tow a car and frankly, all the Uhaul horror stories are worrying me. I'd be willing to pay more to go with Penske, but only their 16 foot and larger trucks are equipped to tow and I definitely don't need that much space.

Any suggestions? I have even thought about renting a large SUV and seeing if I can tow my car with that, but I doubt the rental companies allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,090 times
I would get rid of what I couldn't load in the car and just drive the car. It would sure be a lot cheaper to get there with the cost of gas these days.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:10 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,468 times
Laura707 is right. You can buy new stuff here far, far cheaper than the cost of hauling it. You could furnish your whole place on Craigslist for next to nothing! And it's entirely possible that you could have your car shipped and fly cheaper than it will cost to drive, unless you just want to see the country. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM

I wouldn't mind leaving some of the furniture behind, but I still have a considerable amount of books, clothes and other pleasures I'd like to take with me, ie- guitar, espresso machine, skis :-) Checked into those pods, but they're too expensive. Also looked into the cost to have my car shipped and that looks to be close to $1,000.

One more option I've considered is selling/trading in my car and buying an SUV before moving. Kinda want a 4WD anyway, and I'm sure I'd be able to fit enough into an SUV, then not have to worry about driving a crappy 10 mpg Uhaul while towing a car.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:55 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,650 times
I've always used U-Haul & have read some of the 'horror' stories on here too & find it pretty amazing. I have used them cross-country too twice with no problems, the last time being my move from Texas to Colorado. And I used a truck & towed my car with it. The only problem I had with that was getting my damn car off the tow--that was a pain in the butt & I had to find someone in my new place to help me. If you can afford to buy new stuff (moving being expensive enough already) then go for it, but I wouldn't. Good luck, I've been where you are

Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersnow View Post
I wouldn't mind leaving some of the furniture behind, but I still have a considerable amount of books, clothes and other pleasures I'd like to take with me, ie- guitar, espresso machine, skis :-) Checked into those pods, but they're too expensive. Also looked into the cost to have my car shipped and that looks to be close to $1,000.

One more option I've considered is selling/trading in my car and buying an SUV before moving. Kinda want a 4WD anyway, and I'm sure I'd be able to fit enough into an SUV, then not have to worry about driving a crappy 10 mpg Uhaul while towing a car.
This sounds like the way to go! Gas will KILL you for a U-Haul truck, especially towing a car! A 2WD will do fine, too, as most people never have the opportunity to use the 4WD except in snow/off-road, etc.

Good luck on your new adventure!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:18 PM

Trading in for an SUV is starting to sound like a more attractive idea, plus my current car is about due for its 30,000 mile service, a dealer rip off for sure, so maybe I'll be "saving" money by unloading it now, haha. I like the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe - nice improvement from the earlier models and an impressive 78 cubic ft of storage with the 2nd row folded down - not bad for a compact SUV!

Decisions, decisions!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM

109 posts, read 451,647 times
I have the very same problem as you. Too much for a car, and too little to rent anything. Plus when I did manage to buy a used vehicle last year I got such a good deal on a compact I couldn't let it pass me by. I am now realizing that the car was too old year wise, and can not pull a trailer because of its size.......I was thinking how stupid I was for not buying something I could load up but then again.....gas prices went sky high so, now I am again thinking of moving what I can in my car and getting rid of some things. The only concern I have is some furniture that my mother had refinished for me before she died and it is near and dear to me. That HAS to go with me. I think I may comprimise and move somewhere a little closer to where I live now and then I can make two trips, or three if I have to.
I do have a suggestion though, can you get a small penske truck and have someone else drive your car? I know there is a website called share-a-ride or something like that where college kids or even adults are trying to get across the country or home for little to nothing.......you might want to check that out. I mean from VA to CA you could get someone to drive because for a college student or someone w/o the money couldn't afford that trek. In the process you might actually help someone else out also.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:30 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,480 times
I'd leave everything behind too. Infact, I too plan on moving cross country (FL to CA), and only have enough furniture to fill a studio, so I figure its not worth enough to take with me. The only thing I'll be taking is my computer, cause I dont plan on buying a new one anytime soon, and clothes and shoes of course. Everything else is replacable really. Trading in your car sounds like a good idea too. If I didnt want to have monthly payments, it's probably something I'd do too. Whatever you decide, good luck with your move!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 42,692 times
I would go with the 10 foot truck especially for the distance you are traveling. Our company can ship your vehicle there if you'd like. You can direct message me and I'll give you a price. I wish you luck on your new adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues