Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM

751 posts, read 1,179,461 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I know this is not rocket science but I am trying to find the most reasonable way to move across the country. The total distance is 2000 miles. I have a Ford Ranger(small pick up) and my fiance has a sedan. It seems like a U-Haul truck would cost about $1200 + the cost of the dolly. Our furniture is mostly old stuff and IKEA. We live in a 2 bed apt. Would it make sense to sell everything before we move and/or try to pack as much as possible in the back of the truck, rent a dolly from U-haul and tow her car along?! I don't seem to find any economical way of doing this! Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,540,413 times
Hi Lukeache! We put all our stuff in storage for two years while my wife took a teaching job in Germany and I lived in my big truck here in the States. We didn't really miss our "stuff". From that we learned that there is really very little in life that you can't do without. IMHO, I'd get rid of everything except items of sentimental value and travel light. You can always buy used or IKEA or other stuff reasonably at your new home. That's just the way we see it. Best of luck with your move!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi all:

I know this is not rocket science but I am trying to find the most reasonable way to move across the country. The total distance is 2000 miles. I have a Ford Ranger(small pick up) and my fiance has a sedan. It seems like a U-Haul truck would cost about $1200 + the cost of the dolly. Our furniture is mostly old stuff and IKEA. We live in a 2 bed apt. Would it make sense to sell everything before we move and/or try to pack as much as possible in the back of the truck, rent a dolly from U-haul and tow her car along?! I don't seem to find any economical way of doing this! Any help is appreciated!
If you don't want to hassle with driving a truck or towing a trailer, call ABF for a quote. They let you rent space on their trucks. You pay for the space your stuff takes up not its weight, and THEY DRIVE the truck to your new place. I think the cost is comparable to renting a truck but you don't have to pay for gas and lodging along the way so it ends up being less expensive and less of a hassle.

I just reserved space on a truck for a 900+ mile move from Newport, RI to Charleston, SC. I'll be using this service for the first time but have read lots of good reviews about it. The only thing you have to make sure you do is pack everything very very well and protect your stuff from dust that I guess it can get exposed to in transit. These are freight trucks, not moving trucks so I understand the ride is not as smooth as it might be in a moving van. That is why you don't want to do a haphazard packing job.

They also have containers or cubes that you can get that are more expensive if it isn't possible to park a 28 foot truck in your driveway.

If you want to pay extra, you can have professional movers pack and unpack your stuff at either end. (That is what I'm going to do.)

They have a great website. Also I'm sure you can find some threads and reviews from other posters somewhere in this forum about their service too.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
Buy a truck large enough for all your stuff and a little space to sleep in at the rear.
Do the move and just camp out in the truck while finding work and a house.
When settled sell the truck, hopefully for a little bit more than you paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues