Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 01:59 PM

224 posts, read 947,383 times

Advertisements

A bit too negative... shouldn't whine too much.

Last edited by A Nonny Mouse; 05-17-2014 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
I have mixed feelings about the locals you've described: either they are co-dependent types or they honestly think you're making a huge mistake.

Either way, it doesn't sound like it's going to be easy. Perhaps it might be worth a quick chat with someone whose advice you value, who is outside of this situation, on whether moving to LV is the right thing for you, unless you already know for sure. That support can help keep you focused.

When I moved from Michigan to Ohio, I also got tons of crap from everyone. I just kept repeating over and over: "There's no opportunities for a full-time job in my field here; I have a job in Ohio."

Eventually it sunk in, but I only announced the move three weeks before I did it.

Good luck and remember, you aren't obligated to answer your phone or the doorbell. They can be ignored if the drama gets to be too much.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
they can't imagine why anyone would want to live elsewhere. I don't know.
In the case of Michigan at that time, lots of young folks *knew* they needed to go elsewhere to get out of working multiple part-time jobs and start building a career, but many were *scared.*

And most I knew did move eventually -- the job situation was beyond awful. But there was a lot of kicking, screaming, and general angst.

I try to be somewhat empathic, but I can't relate to that. When it's time to go, it's time to go. . .

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 PM

106 posts, read 251,528 times
Most of the people I know wonder why I'm not freaked out that my only child moved across the country. Why should I be freaked out - he's having his adventure! I wish I'd had mine when I had the chance.

Maybe they're freaked out because they realize that they wouldn't have the courage to make the change that you're making.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 PM

224 posts, read 947,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Most of the people I know wonder why I'm not freaked out that my only child moved across the country. Why should I be freaked out - he's having his adventure! I wish I'd had mine when I had the chance.

Maybe they're freaked out because they realize that they wouldn't have the courage to make the change that you're making.
Maybe. They are so, so mad, LOL. I guess they'll come around. As my 16yo daughter pointed out, "Even I wasn't as upset as they are." Ha!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:49 AM

151 posts, read 204,027 times
Sorry to hear that but I'm preparing for the same thing. My husband's family is pretty close but we aren't living our lives for them. I like the fact that my kids have cousins they can grow up with (I never had that) but honestly, there is really only 1 that is near their age and overall we don't see them often at all, everybody has their life, and after recovering from a major illness the desire to live my life as I see fit (in the mountains) is HUGE, oh it's HUGE, and I know that I cannot adequately explain this to others. They will not understand. Life is precious, live YOUR life the way YOU like!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 PM

OP's last post was 7/10 . . . I wonder how the move went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues