Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there used Help-U-Sell? I looked on their website and altho they mention the "traditional 6% commission" - they do not give any real info on how they set their fee structure.

So do they charge a set fee, no matter the price of the house? Do they have a sliding scale?

The other question . . . if they are not on a typical commission fee structure, then do other MLS agents show their houses?

Anyone sold a house using them? Anyone bought a house they had listed?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Okay - let me ask this another way

I have seen a house I like and even tho my house is not on the market right now, we have considered moving in order to be closer to family (we are South CLT, they are North)

This house is listed by HelpUSell and we are wondering - if the seller pays less commission . . . perhaps they will be more flexible about lowering the price.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience w/ this company . . . and has info about the commission structure . . . so we know more what we are dealing w/ as far as flexibility w/ pricing. We feel the house is overpriced at this time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM

95 posts, read 385,840 times
They still will have representation from a broker so they will be told what the home should sell for. Even if they are selling with a limited service or full service real estate firm, once you have a buyer in hand most sellers should negotiate. It is a buyers market so offering less wouldn't be a bad idea. You have to feel them out.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
Most of the business models that I have seen are "fee by menu". They do have some kind of flat rate and then add on additional items chosen by the client. Like an extra fee for a virtual tour, print advertising, etc.. I know they have a basic model that they have to go by and work from there. All of the MLS Buyer Agent compensation offerings I have seen were either 2.5% or 3%.

The last transaction that I did with a Help-U-Sell agent was on my own home and they were paid $3500 for the sellers side.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNHomePro View Post
They still will have representation from a broker so they will be told what the home should sell for. Even if they are selling with a limited service or full service real estate firm, once you have a buyer in hand most sellers should negotiate. It is a buyers market so offering less wouldn't be a bad idea. You have to feel them out.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your taking the time to help me figure this one out!

Happy New Year! Ani

Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Really appreciate the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Most of the business models that I have seen are "fee by menu". They do have some kind of flat rate and then add on additional items chosen by the client. Like an extra fee for a virtual tour, print advertising, etc.. I know they have a basic model that they have to go by and work from there. All of the MLS Buyer Agent compensation offerings I have seen were either 2.5% or 3%.

The last transaction that I did with a Help-U-Sell agent was on my own home and they were paid $3500 for the sellers side.
This helps me so much. The house needs a lot of upgrades to even be comparable w/ the other houses in the neighborhood (heck - on the street) but it is a great location and layout - and we know the builder - we feel it is solid construction. The location is everything b/c it is only feet from my sister and only 2 miles from my elderly parents. But we were mentally adding up the upgrades . . . and it quickly added to over $25,000. We were surprised that they were so out of the loop on the price, when we assumed they were not paying as much in fees since they were using HUS.

Thank you again! Really appreciate the info. Sending good wishes for a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM

206 posts, read 1,134,610 times
I sold a house with Help-U-Sell in 2000. This was my experience... yours may differ.

Each Help-U-Sell is like a franchise, they can set their own rates. The office I sold with was only charging $2495 for selling my home....IF they sold it to someone that went to THEM. IF it was sold to someone else that had a buyers agent, then the fee is $2495 for them PLUS 3% for the buyers agent. SO you are still saving money as a seller because they have a flat rate.

They listed my house in the MLS and on their website... that was about it. Now in 2000 it was a sellers market, more so than it is today. The owner and an agent came to my home to do the listing paperwork. We agreed on a price. I never saw or heard from that agent again.... not even at the closing. The contract was for 3 months. I do not feel that they gave it good marketing. I did sell the house... BUT the offer I got was on the last day of my contract with them. It was the ONLY offer I got. There were many showings by other realtors... but no other offers. I got no feedback from them about the showings. The buyer had an agent, therefore I paid the $2495 Plus 3%.

I currently have another home up for sale with a larger national real estate firm. I can't say it's any better. Although we've recieved more marketing... it's not a sellers market now. We have not had any calls for viewing, our contract was for 7 months and ends Jan 30. We are looking for a new agent.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
I sold a house with Help-U-Sell in 2000. This was my experience... yours may differ.

Each Help-U-Sell is like a franchise, they can set their own rates. The office I sold with was only charging $2495 for selling my home....IF they sold it to someone that went to THEM. IF it was sold to someone else that had a buyers agent, then the fee is $2495 for them PLUS 3% for the buyers agent. SO you are still saving money as a seller because they have a flat rate.

They listed my house in the MLS and on their website... that was about it. Now in 2000 it was a sellers market, more so than it is today. The owner and an agent came to my home to do the listing paperwork. We agreed on a price. I never saw or heard from that agent again.... not even at the closing. The contract was for 3 months. I do not feel that they gave it good marketing. I did sell the house... BUT the offer I got was on the last day of my contract with them. It was the ONLY offer I got. There were many showings by other realtors... but no other offers. I got no feedback from them about the showings. The buyer had an agent, therefore I paid the $2495 Plus 3%.

I currently have another home up for sale with a larger national real estate firm. I can't say it's any better. Although we've recieved more marketing... it's not a sellers market now. We have not had any calls for viewing, our contract was for 7 months and ends Jan 30. We are looking for a new agent.
You gave me exactly what I was trying to get straight in my head! I couldn't figure out how the buyer's agent would get his/her commission, unless that was spelled out in the contract. I just couldn't reconcile why a buyer's agent would even try to sell the house if it did not have a standard commission guaranteed on it.

Really appreciate your taking time to share the info - and good luck w/ selling your present home! Happy New Year! Ani

Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 PM

28 posts, read 89,795 times
Ani:

I am a Help-U-Sell franchise owner in Pennsylvania. We are a "fee for service" real estate company and yes, franchisees can charge different fees for the services offered. You, as the consumer, get to pick how you want our help. Yes, you can save a significant amount of money in the sale of your home depending on how the buyer is obtained. In my office, which is just my wife and myself, we sold over 50 listings this year. Most of our owners chose to put the home in the MLS and offer a commission, usually 2.5%. We sold nearly 40% of our listings, so 60% were sold by other agents. Since 82% of all buyers shop online before calling any realtor, we heavily invest in the internet to market homes. Talk to your local office to find out what they do. Just remember, in this market it doesn't matter what color the sign is or the name on the sign. The only thing that matters is how you price the home! Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues