Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM

336 posts, read 589,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
And sometimes it can take even longer than that. I made a move and liked it the first year, it was alright the 2nd, and after that I was absolutely miserable.
I think that's how I've felt with the last few times I moved.

I moved 30 minutes from home and liked it the first year but I was ready to go somewhere else by the 2nd year.

Same thing happened when I moved 3 hours away from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:13 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
I am beginning to regret moving to Denver. I don't hate it, but I don't love it like I did before and right after I moved here. The mountains are nice, but I miss living close to a large body of water. I also miss the chaos of a giant metro area. If I could redo it, I would have stayed in Chicagoland and taken a long vacation out here.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:01 PM

336 posts, read 589,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I am beginning to regret moving to Denver. I don't hate it, but I don't love it like I did before and right after I moved here. The mountains are nice, but I miss living close to a large body of water. I also miss the chaos of a giant metro area. If I could redo it, I would have stayed in Chicagoland and taken a long vacation out here.
So Denver feels kind of small?

I live in a big metro and I'm looking at moving to a smaller area. It's still a big city, but the area is smaller.

I guess it would be like going from Los Angeles to San Diego.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:04 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
So Denver feels kind of small?

I live in a big metro and I'm looking at moving to a smaller area. It's still a big city, but the area is smaller.

I guess it would be like going from Los Angeles to San Diego.
Denver just feels isolated. You're on a plain with huge mountains looming over you, in the middle of a massive landmass. It's just a much different feel then a coastal city.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:01 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Was it for school or for a job?

Did you end up moving to a different state?
Yes. So I moved again and it's all good. Learning experience. I don't look at is as a failure. Just a detour. I don't regret the "mistake". Not at all.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:45 AM

29 posts, read 44,845 times
No. I wish I could move out of state though, well I'm GOING to when I can.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:58 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
No. And in my opinion most people know beforehand whether
they will like living someplace or not.
Not true. You really have to live there, sometimes for several years to know what it is really like, and who can afford to test a place out like that?? A vacation is not the way to decide if you want to move to a place.

In my situation, the COL, and other drastic changes, basically made it too hard for us to plan for retirement in our home state. Plus, our only child moved, and our friends & family moved or died. So, nothing was left but memories, outrageous COL & crowds of ppl we no longer knew. But, it's as lonely here as it became there. Just safer & cheaper.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:51 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
But I know lots of folks who moved somewhere and were miserable as a result - myself included. How can you possibly know from a visit what it would be like to actually live there? Unless you can rent long term - at least 1 month, there is no way to know that in advance. People make the best decisions they can, with the information they have uncovered. But perception is NOT ALWAYS reality.
Very true and sometimes it may take just a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
You really have to live there, sometimes for several years to know what it is really like, and who can afford to test a place out like that?? A vacation is not the way to decide if you want to move to a place.
^^^Wish I could borrow your user name until I leave this place.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,188 times
Hi Everyone!
Oh my gosh---YES! My husband and I were forced to move from Arizona to Colorado because of employment. We have been here in Colorado for 3 years now and I have hated every minute of it! I miss my friends and my kids who are all in Arizona. My husband likes his job here and does not want to move back home. Moving back home is all I think about! This move is wreaking my 30 year marriage. So, now a job has opened up back home in Arizona that my husband is qualified for and he is not wanting to apply because he does not want to move back. So, it looks like I will be moving back by myself because I am not going to continue living some place that I don't want to live. I never wanted to move here in the first place. My husband says we will move back home sometime. (Yeah right) He won't apply for this job because he's afraid he'll get the job and have to move back. So, we are at a stalemate. Make no mistake---I will move back on my own. I'm just sad that it has come to this and that I'm not sure our marriage will hold up. If I had it to do over again---I never would have moved here with him! Life does throw curve balls that you never saw coming!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:09 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Not true. You really have to live there, sometimes for several years to know what it is really like, and who can afford to test a place out like that?? A vacation is not the way to decide if you want to move to a place.

In my situation, the COL, and other drastic changes, basically made it too hard for us to plan for retirement in our home state. Plus, our only child moved, and our friends & family moved or died. So, nothing was left but memories, outrageous COL & crowds of ppl we no longer knew. But, it's as lonely here as it became there. Just safer & cheaper.
I had come as part of a planned trip, but had also been ready to bail from California. When I got here the sky was blue. It was windy. There was NO SMOG. I could breath. I was sold.

But the money generally ran out out there by the last week. Everything cost too much. And the smog. And there being too many people and too many cars and just cars and people everywhere. My house here was less than a down payment there. Is everything perfect? No, but given the other options, I'll take my new place.

I'm tired of hearing about how some places despite a lot of people are 'stimulating' since there is 'lots to do' and 'lots of places to go. Doesn't help when you don't have transportation there or its a three hour bus ride (adding in late busses and busses who don't stop) and then they don't all run past six. Having all this stuff to do only counts when you can both afford it and have a way to get there and home on your own.

My house is a little over 700 sf, but large next to the tiny apartment I had too. And there is lots of space between me and the other houses. All these things count a lot more than the fun stuff out there. And those memories, some of them were things I don't want to revisit, and where people had made good ones, stuff had changed. I have my memories, but I don't get reminded that that time is long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues