Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,454 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have recently completed a teacher preparation program in Washington State and now have both my teaching credentials and a Master of Arts in Teaching degree. However, WA does not boast a lot of job openings in the education industry and I have grown tired of the constant drizzle. My husband and I are ready to try something completely different and are considering a move to the beautiful South.
We are looking for a place that:
-needs elementary teachers
-is close to the water (my husband sails)
-is affordable and safe
-is somewhat progressive/not super religious/is open-minded

We do NOT need to live in a big city (our home town in WA has a population of 7,000 and we actually prefer the countryside) but we DO need to be somewhere with like-minded people. I understand that the culture will be different, but we are coming from a very progressive state and are both agnostic, liberal, open-minded people. Also, my husband's parents are gay and I want them to feel welcome to visit wherever we end up. We are looking for a place where people aren't super religious and are laid back and open.

Does such a place exist?
Any hints are helpful!
Thanks so much!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,901,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathynowhere View Post
...We are looking for a place where people aren't super religious
What does "super religious" actually mean - that their beliefs exceed what you are willing to tolerate?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,454 times
By "super religious" I mean preachy and intolerant of agnosticism. Additionally, it wouldn't really work for us if religion is the center of the culture/social network.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times
Possibly somewhere around Wilmington NC? Beach towns are usually expensive and the South isn't exactly known for being progressive.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:52 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,202,275 times
OP,

I notice you are not getting a ton of comments, and think if maybe you move this to a different forum, either "Work and Employment" or "Education" (lots of teachers on that forum), you might get a better response.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
A small, non religious, affordable, beach town in the south? That's going to be tough, I'd say you'll get 3 out of 4 of your criteria...The water requirement leaves Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and the Carolina's unless your husband wants to sail in a Lake. Florida probably has the biggest sailing scene of them all... Maybe somewhere between Pensacola Florida and Tallahasee along 98 there... You'd have better luck if you were willing to either commute to work or commute to the sailboat for the affordability factor. Affordable and small town are relative though so maybe you'll find what looking for. Good luck.

I'd recommend the SW (Arizona/New Mexico) but then sailing would be a long drive away...

I just got a great idea, live on the Sailboat that makes it much more affordable!

Old 02-14-2015, 03:08 PM

87 posts, read 255,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
A small, non religious, affordable, beach town in the south? That's going to be tough, I'd say you'll get 3 out of 4 of your criteria...The water requirement leaves Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and the Carolina's unless your husband wants to sail in a Lake. Florida probably has the biggest sailing scene of them all... Maybe somewhere between Pensacola Florida and Tallahasee along 98 there... You'd have better luck if you were willing to either commute to work or commute to the sailboat for the affordability factor. Affordable and small town are relative though so maybe you'll find what looking for. Good luck.

I'd recommend the SW (Arizona/New Mexico) but then sailing would be a long drive away...

I just got a great idea, live on the Sailboat that makes it much more affordable!
The Florida panhandle is NOT 'progressive'.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,311,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathynowhere View Post
-is somewhat progressive/not super religious/is open-minded
These threads are hilarious. The OP wan't to go somewhere that's "open minded" BUT apparently she herself is closed minded and bigoted to others religious and world views that don't suit her own. Liberals. Gotta love them. And, she is a teacher. Great just the person I want teaching future generations.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artstarvedinar View Post
The Florida panhandle is NOT 'progressive'.
I agree that the panhandle isn't "progressive" but any beach town in Florida that could be considered "progressive" will also not be "affordable." The OP is going to have to compromise on something....What do you suggest? They could head to the keys... But that throws affordability out the window.

Giving up the sailing or driving to a distance to do it would make this easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues