Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 AM

215 posts, read 1,660,476 times

Advertisements

I plan to move... eventually (I've been saying that for over a year now) but I have two things that will make my move unique

A - I have no car. I could cab it, but I'd like to do it over public transit if I can
B - I have no furniture. What I own is literally:
Clothing (too much of it, its old)
Two computers (one old)
Assorted comptuer things (printer, games, etc)
Two folding chairs
One short table
A few dishes (maybe 3 plates, a bowl, a pot, a pan, some forks, spoons, and knives)
A blow-up matress
And luckly, 4 large hockey/duffel bags.

How did I get into the situation? I currently rent, weekly, a furnished room. I've been there for over two years, but want to move closer to work. The plan is to get a 0-bedroom apartment, monthly, but still rent my room for one week after I get the keys to my new place, and to move things slowly. I could easily shove the dishes, matress, and computer stuff in with a bag, throw clothing to protect it all, and lug it all up in a day. I could use smaller bags if I am willing to do multiple trips (and I am) just in the event the bus gets crowded.

My worry comes with how to move my computer, specifically my old monitor, and my new LCD monitor, and my tower and base. Should I risk stuffing this in a bag? For the record when moving into this place I stuffed my comptuer base into a bag and bought the monitor etc after; or should I take a cab for that last trip?

Has anyone ever attempted a move via public transit, or, moved without having much in the way of furniture, and do they have any advice they can offer me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM

28 posts, read 130,453 times
Don't you have any friends or co-workers with a car? Usually pizza & beer is payment enough for them. Or can't you just rent a car?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Default Pickup truck rental

why don't you rent a pickup truck from Home Depot for an hour, the cost is minimal and probably cheaper than cab fare.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:38 PM

215 posts, read 1,660,476 times
my driver's lic is no longer valid (long story, in short, red tape is stupid)

Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I moved all my small stuff & boxes from 1 apt to another via gro cart & mobility scooter! Friends used a truck & moved furniture for me in 1/2 hr....go for it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues