Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I am a 23 year old who, after making some really "young and dumb" mistakes (and spending too much money), found himself living with his mother in a backwater rural/post-industrial area in a tiny house near the highway and the airport and with plenty of spastic cats. There is no space for me here. I have a panic attack every day I feel so claustrophobic, and I can't stand my mother's constant nagging. She does not want me here, and I do not want to be here. I think I would get more peace and quiet sleeping in my car parked in the woods somewhere -- at least I probably wouldn't have to lie awake in bed listening to the roar of the interstate.

I have just over $1,000, a 2011 Honda Civic -- which I was fortunate enough to receive used as a college graduation gift. I own a lot of other expensive things, but I'd like to keep most of them. I have never had any trouble finding low-level retail and restaurant work when there's reason to. I have the charm and looks to get what I want from people.

What are some hypothetical ways I could make this work? Let's pretend staying here is not an option.
Using that 1000, get the paperwork done and start Ubering..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
OP, we haven't heard from you in a while. How is everything going?

I think he's gone. Something we said?

Old 08-10-2015, 03:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Use the car to drive to work. Save your money. Living with Mom, that shouldn't be hard. Pretty soon you will have thousands of dollars saved and can start your life. Living at home and mooching off Mom, you should be able to save at least $1k a month.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I think he's gone. Something we said?
I'll bet he is over at the recruiters office or maybe taking his ASVAB test! I am sure he is ready to be a grown up.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:47 PM

379 posts, read 339,519 times
Quote:
I am a 23 year old who, after making some really "young and dumb" mistakes (and spending too much money), found himself living with his mother in a backwater rural/post-industrial area in a tiny house near the highway and the airport and with plenty of spastic cats. There is no space for me here. I have a panic attack every day I feel so claustrophobic, and I can't stand my mother's constant nagging. She does not want me here, and I do not want to be here. I think I would get more peace and quiet sleeping in my car parked in the woods somewhere -- at least I probably wouldn't have to lie awake in bed listening to the roar of the interstate.

I have just over $1,000, a 2011 Honda Civic -- which I was fortunate enough to receive used as a college graduation gift. I own a lot of other expensive things, but I'd like to keep most of them. I have never had any trouble finding low-level retail and restaurant work when there's reason to. I have the charm and looks to get what I want from people.

What are some hypothetical ways I could make this work? Let's pretend staying here is not an option.
I found myself in a similar situation years ago. What I almost did, and sort of wish I had done, is go teach English in Korea.

At 23, nobody is going to give you a hard time for doing that if you move back and decide to look for conventional jobs in the US. You can easily save $1000 a month and work less than 40 hours a week. They pay for airfare to and from as well. That's what I would do, assuming you don't have any ties that would prevent it.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Watch the movie Nightcrawler, find your passion. Good Luck.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Get a job at Walmart, then sign up for section 8 and food stamps.
um ok

Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,390 times
Quote:

At that age, knowing what I do now about the drudgery of working life, I'd try an "Into The Wild" scenario (without dumb, fatal mistakes). I'd also tone down the charm and arrogance and go for ethics.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
It's apparent that there are some participants in this thread who see the only option for the OP as to fall on his knees and turn his fate over to a Politically Correct scenario along the lines of "Boy Meets World"; that is precisely the sort of thinking that is killing the spirit of rebellion and self-reliance which separates us from the stagnation which characterizes Europe.

I've said before that the emancipation of women is the single greatest sociological change of our times, but such a change isn't accomplished overnight, and isn't for everyone. I know of many partnerships where one spouse, usually the male, endures odd hours, more time away from home, and the like, while the other shoulders most of the domestic responsibilities; nothing wrong with that, so long as all those involved recognize the pitfalls, and fill in the gaps as best they can.

To the OP: The questions raised by some here regarding your obligations to your mother are legitimate; we don't know the circumstances by which she came to be on her own, nor if any brothers/sisters are available to share the responsibility. I do think that she wants independent, but responsible sons (and daughters?) as her legacy. Study your options carefully, plan ahead, keep your personal integrity, and good luck!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-11-2015 at 11:19 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,563 times
Advice on the recommendations to live/sleep in a van and potential issues with parking it in places at night somewhat safely and without being bothered by police:

I have a buddy that lives in a van, but a cargo van with only two windows on the back. He was having trouble finding places that were safe to park, so since it is a cargo van, he had two magnetic business signs made ($139) with a company name he made up, '. . . . .Janitorial Services.' And now is able to park at night safely in high end office park complexes that are also quiet and if a cop car ever drives through, it doesn't look like someone that is living in a van is there, but rather a night janitor in one of the buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues