Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:47 PM

7 posts, read 7,576 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts who love moving across the country on a whim,

Recent graduate here who has not set down any roots and is at a loss about where to go next. I grew up on the east coast but after graduating I thought I'd try living in different parts of the country. I moved from Wyoming to Kalispell MT, to Moab, Utah.

So far none of these places has piqued my desire to set down roots but I'm getting anxious and would love to find a place to call home for a good while. I've thought about moving to Bend, OR so any advice on that would be much appreciated. I have also considered some place in Colorado or back to Montana or perhaps Asheville NC. I'm really open to anything. I love the mountains and draw a great amount of joy from spending time in the wilderness, but would also like not to live in the "middle of nowhere" again. Its fun but I miss the amenities of society. I am also on the search for a career path, so a solid job market. And most importantly a good sense of community! And a place to play a good game of ultimate frisbee.

Thank you for your time and response! I wouldnt ask for help unless I was truly at a loss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 12:52 PM

Default Frisbee catcher searches for new wilderness haven

Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts who love moving across the country on a whim,

Recent graduate here who has not set down any roots and is at a loss about where to go next. I grew up on the east coast but after graduating I thought I'd try living in different parts of the country. I moved from Wyoming to Kalispell MT, to Moab, Utah.

So far none of these places has piqued my desire to set down roots but I'm getting anxious and would love to find a place to call home for a good while. I've thought about moving to Bend, OR so any advice on that would be much appreciated. I have also considered some place in Colorado or back to Montana or perhaps Asheville NC. I'm really open to anything. I love the mountains and draw a great amount of joy from spending time in the wilderness, but would also like not to live in the "middle of nowhere" again. Its fun but I miss the amenities of society. I am also on the search for a career path, so a solid job market. And most importantly a good sense of community! And a place to play a good game of ultimate frisbee.

Thank you for your time and response! I wouldnt ask for help unless I was truly at a loss!

Old 01-30-2016, 01:12 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,821,705 times
You don't want much, do you? Good luck! Personally I found Estes Park, CO to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Rocky Mountain National Park and Trail Ridge Road were majestic. I don't know what there is in the way of jobs, but it is a quaint little town.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,898,206 times
It would be nice to know “what” skills, work experience and your studies were in; it could narrow down the list of locations to live and work. So far not many are hiring frisbee catchers.................

Old 01-30-2016, 03:55 PM

Graduated with Environmental Studies degree, studio art minor
Work experience as a boat captain, climbing gym supervisor, river guide and outdoor educator/naturalist with a non-profit school.
Would love to find a full time job and move away from the seasonal trend. Like working with youth. Would love to work as a Outdoor Program Coordinator at a university. Any full time job spending most of my time outside would be amazing.
But like maggie2101 said, I don't have too many requirements

Old 01-30-2016, 04:00 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,821,705 times
I would give my left nut (if I had nuts) to live near Rocky Mountain National Park.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 PM

RMNP sounds absolutely amazing maggie2101! I was a llama guide in southwest Colorado, but have not been to RMNP. Living and working in national parks is a trade-off. I worked in Yellowstone and Glacier Parks, very far from grocery shopping but an entire playground of natural beauty at your backdoor. Could use a break from those tourists though

Old 01-31-2016, 01:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,054,172 times
Budget/savings to work with, your degree and types of jobs desired, politics, weather, transportation, shopping, singles/family mix, apartment or house...there's a lot missing from your post

Old 01-31-2016, 01:49 PM

Default Reply

I have enough savings to move without securing a job and survive for a few months. Would like to rent an apt for 800$ or less. I'm young so not looking for family oriented/schools and such. Degree in Environmental Studies. Outdoor education, naturalist, biological research fields. Really anything that's permanent (non seasonal), outdoors, and challenging. I have my own transportation but would prefer a walkable downtown. I'm liberal but have lived in some very conservative regions as well. As for weather I know I cannot survive another desert summer. Mild is best, as the Wyoming winters were not my favorite either. Thank you!

Old 02-01-2016, 12:45 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,602,309 times
Is Ultimate Frisbee disc golf? There is a lot of that in Knoxville TN. Also look up "urban wilderness" which is an extensive trail system right in town.

Kind of curious about the "walkable downtown" comment. Aren't most downtowns walkable or is that an east coast thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues