Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiseppe555 View Post
I have enough savings to move without securing a job and survive for a few months. Would like to rent an apt for 800$ or less. I'm young so not looking for family oriented/schools and such. Degree in Environmental Studies. Outdoor education, naturalist, biological research fields. Really anything that's permanent (non seasonal), outdoors, and challenging. I have my own transportation but would prefer a walkable downtown. I'm liberal but have lived in some very conservative regions as well. As for weather I know I cannot survive another desert summer. Mild is best, as the Wyoming winters were not my favorite either. Thank you!
With more the focus on the well-rounded package (most importantly considering a need for lucrative work options) you might consider Atlanta. As the capital of Georgia and the Southeast's major city it is fairly thick with jobs in Environmental Studies and surprisingly surrounded by nature/environment, particularly on it's north side with close proximity to the Chattahoochee River, massive Lake Lanier and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Inside the loop places like Decatur, East Atlanta and Avondale Estates have the walkable lifestyle at home/for leisure hours and the possibility for MARTA transit commutes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts who love moving across the country on a whim,

Recent graduate here who has not set down any roots and is at a loss about where to go next. I grew up on the east coast but after graduating I thought I'd try living in different parts of the country. I moved from Wyoming to Kalispell MT, to Moab, Utah.

So far none of these places has piqued my desire to set down roots but I'm getting anxious and would love to find a place to call home for a good while. I've thought about moving to Bend, OR so any advice on that would be much appreciated. I have also considered some place in Colorado or back to Montana or perhaps Asheville NC. I'm really open to anything. I love the mountains and draw a great amount of joy from spending time in the wilderness, but would also like not to live in the "middle of nowhere" again. Its fun but I miss the amenities of society. I am also on the search for a career path, so a solid job market. And most importantly a good sense of community! And a place to play a good game of ultimate frisbee.

Thank you for your time and response! I wouldnt ask for help unless I was truly at a loss!
Really, all of the large urban areas of the west (pop: 1,000,000+) are situated close to mountains and wilderness. As others have mentioned, Denver is a great example. San Diego, Portland and Seattle come immediately to mind as well.

As for Rocky Mountain National Park, while a fine place with some isolated corners, it is a national park. You'll find far, far more people there than you will in such places as designated wildernesses in national forests. That's where some of the best solitude is to be found. There's far less human traffic, and since all mechanized travel is prohibited, it'll only be people on foot and horseback (and often, few of those).

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Bangor, Maine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor,_Maine

Old 02-07-2016, 01:16 PM

389 posts, read 276,627 times
Quote:
Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts who love moving across the country on a whim,

Recent graduate here who has not set down any roots and is at a loss about where to go next. I grew up on the east coast but after graduating I thought I'd try living in different parts of the country. I moved from Wyoming to Kalispell MT, to Moab, Utah.

So far none of these places has piqued my desire to set down roots but I'm getting anxious and would love to find a place to call home for a good while. I've thought about moving to Bend, OR so any advice on that would be much appreciated. I have also considered some place in Colorado or back to Montana or perhaps Asheville NC. I'm really open to anything. I love the mountains and draw a great amount of joy from spending time in the wilderness, but would also like not to live in the "middle of nowhere" again. Its fun but I miss the amenities of society. I am also on the search for a career path, so a solid job market. And most importantly a good sense of community! And a place to play a good game of ultimate frisbee.

Thank you for your time and response! I wouldnt ask for help unless I was truly at a loss!

Well my friend do I know the place for you haha. Alberta. We have mountains, wild life, two great cities, skiing, boating. There is a lot to do if your an outdoors type. BC is another option for you. Get your passport ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues