Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:35 PM

76 posts, read 68,187 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone -

I am very conflicted about where to move and need some help! I have ideas about where I'd like to live, but then I hear things about cost/weather/public transportation options and I change my mind.

Here is a general description of myself and some of my most important criteria; please offer your genuine opinions regarding places I might look into and why.

Me:

46 year old female, happily single, introverted, artist, live with my two dogs, vegan, do not own a car, live very simply, love to cook, frequent bookstores/libraries, majority of professional experience working for non-profits - but would LOVE to work in the kitchen of a vegan restaurant if someone would give me the opportunity.

Unfortunately for me, I fell on hard times during economic downturn...wound up in Florida, where some of my family lives...I have been miserable ever since and now it's time to move on. I have moved quite a bit in my 46 years and really want to find a place to settle and put down roots...help!

Criteria:

A place with REALLY GREAT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION or a place where one can easily live car-free (I bike/walk a lot too!), AFFORDABLE (especially rent - I WILL NOT pay $3,000 to live in a micro-studio just because a place is "up and coming"), relatively MILD WEATHER (NO EXTREMES!! 4 seasons would work well for me...can't take 8 months of hellish heat/frigid cold and snow or rain...76 degrees/ a little overcast, with bits of sun peaking through is PERFECT weather for me...I like the crispness of Fall too!! A CREATIVE/"artsy" community where I could make some like-minded friends, show my work in local galleries...access to GOOD GROCERY STORES - I'm thinking Trader Joe's/Whole Food's/Farmer's Markets, etc...DOG FRIENDLY - my pups are an important part of my life and I want them to be happy too...and finally - a BALANCED ECONOMY, where I can find a job that suits me AND comfortably keep a roof over my head without the fear of becoming homeless every month after bills are paid...DOES SUCH A PLACE EXIST??

Thanks for your thoughtful input - I look forward to reading your responses!!

Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I'm not sure of a particular town, but in reading your post I could just SEE you living in a college town! One that is mainly for the college, that is, not a larger town that happens to have a college. These towns are small, so you could probably bike everywhere, and they usually have lots of bookstores, libraries, literate people, and an artsy community. Perhaps a college town in a West Coast state, so that it might be more likely to have a TJ's/Whole Foods and so on? Anyway, these were a few random thoughts that came to mind and I hope they might help.

Reminds me of Berkeley, California, half a century ago although I have not been there since and it has surely changed over the years. It's a larger town than I was thinking of in my first paragraph, but it is still very focused on UC Berkeley.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Yeah, look into college towns along the coast. Maybe start with Eugene, OR.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
I'd suggest Buffalo, NY except for your requirements on the weather. Otherwise, the city hits most of your other criteria.

Buffalo's springs and falls are decent, and its summers are wonderful (many people do just fine with only room A/Cs in the bedrooms). The winters are cold and very snowy but they aren't nearly as long or as bad as myth portrays them, especially in the city itself. Generally, it's snowy from about mid-December through February, but temps below zero happen only a few times a winter. Because the area is in the Great Lakes, it does tend to be cloudy from about mid-October through March, which many people really hate. It also tends to be windy. OTOH, you can live anywhere from 10-60 minutes from a beach or river where you can swim without fear of sharks, jellyfish, alligators, poisonous snakes, etc.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM

What about Chapel Hill NC?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yeah, look into college towns along the coast. Maybe start with Eugene, OR.
Eugene came to my mind as well.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Criteria:
A place with REALLY GREAT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION or a place where one can easily live car-free (I bike/walk a lot too!), AFFORDABLE (especially rent - I WILL NOT pay $3,000 to live in a micro-studio just because a place is "up and coming"), relatively MILD WEATHER (NO EXTREMES!! 4 seasons would work well for me...can't take 8 months of hellish heat/frigid cold and snow or rain...76 degrees/ a little overcast, with bits of sun peaking through is PERFECT weather for me...I like the crispness of Fall too!! A CREATIVE/"artsy" community where I could make some like-minded friends, show my work in local galleries...access to GOOD GROCERY STORES - I'm thinking Trader Joe's/Whole Food's/Farmer's Markets, etc...DOG FRIENDLY - my pups are an important part of my life and I want them to be happy too...and finally - a BALANCED ECONOMY, where I can find a job that suits me AND comfortably keep a roof over my head without the fear of becoming homeless every month after bills are paid...DOES SUCH A PLACE EXIST?? [/quote]

Definitely Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC. It would be perfect for you (lived there for several years myself) as it has everything on your list along with free public transit! (yep, free!)

Home | Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau
An overview of Carrboro, NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCrMbRidYY

Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM

258 posts, read 299,786 times
You would love Cincinnati, then.

Cheap to live, decent job market, a million different restaurants and cafes. Museum scene is good. Many quirky neighborhood pockets of artsy people. Several different modes of public transport. Four seasons-- this winter has actually been pretty tame, I think. Definitely lots of good groceries. We have two locations of Jungle Jim's, which is a specialty supermarket. We also have Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, several farmer's markets, etc. In fact, we have Findlay Market, which is a large farmer's market that's been open for over 100 years.

I personally am dreaming of the day I can move from here (I have family down south and want to go back to living in the country). Cincinnati is not my jam, but it would be yours, I think.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
The Highlands area of Louisville, KY? My criteria are similar, but it has to be near the ocean! That's a tough one...

Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Criteria:
A place with REALLY GREAT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION or a place where one can easily live car-free (I bike/walk a lot too!), AFFORDABLE (especially rent - I WILL NOT pay $3,000 to live in a micro-studio just because a place is "up and coming"), relatively MILD WEATHER (NO EXTREMES!! 4 seasons would work well for me...can't take 8 months of hellish heat/frigid cold and snow or rain...76 degrees/ a little overcast, with bits of sun peaking through is PERFECT weather for me...I like the crispness of Fall too!! A CREATIVE/"artsy" community where I could make some like-minded friends, show my work in local galleries...access to GOOD GROCERY STORES - I'm thinking Trader Joe's/Whole Food's/Farmer's Markets, etc...DOG FRIENDLY - my pups are an important part of my life and I want them to be happy too...and finally - a BALANCED ECONOMY, where I can find a job that suits me AND comfortably keep a roof over my head without the fear of becoming homeless every month after bills are paid...DOES SUCH A PLACE EXIST??
Definitely Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC. It would be perfect for you (lived there for several years myself) as it has everything on your list along with free public transit! (yep, free!)

Home | Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau
An overview of Carrboro, NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCrMbRidYY[/quote]

Thank you Kyle19125 - I have been doing A LOT of thinking about Chapel Hill/Carrboro area...it is becoming my #1 possibility...Eugene OR was up there too, but I don't think I can take all of the rain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.