Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times

Advertisements

Were leaping right now! Honestly never imagined we actually would. 2 weeks we move 18 hours away. It is exciting and a bit scary but I know we wont regret it, if nothing else we will learn from it and have some new adventures for sure!

we have taken leaps of faith in other ways to. We bought a franchise on a whim and did great then invested (all we had) in our first rental home.. quite scary at the time! It all worked out so well. Even when things go wrong theres always something positive and it makes life worth living!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 11:02 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
I'm taking a leap of faith and moving back to tn in August, with no job lined up, I have money saved of course, what makes it worse is that I'm a single mother. Hopefully all will be well.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:54 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
One of my co-workers took a leap of faith and moved to another state. I don't know that I've really and truly taken a leap of faith. Is this something that you can do more than once..how do you know if it's a once in a lifetime? I guess we'll never know if we don't try.
I took a leap of faith to move from Wyoming to North Dakota. I don't know why I didn't move to North Dakota sooner.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 AM

74 posts, read 74,800 times
This post is quite inspiring because I'm faced with the same dilemma myself. Currently, I've been in Tampa, FL for the past eleven years because my parents were laid off in Atlanta and we had no choice but to move here with family. The difficult part is that I would like to have a job lined up when I move back home and/or anywhere else; however, the company I work for they keep denying my transfers (saying my skills are perfect for the job but I don't have the experience). I mean how can you expect your employees to grow if you keep putting them in the name mediocre positions. Nevertheless, Tampa is just somewhere that I do not see myself growing, nor the environment that I pictured for myself and somehow I've let eleven years past by (which I fully take responsibility for allowing this to happen to myself).

Currently, I have enough money in savings to move but I'd like to at least have some form of employment lined up because I do not wish to deplete my savings account. It's just a tough decision to make, do I take the risk and see what's out there or stay unhappy here in Tampa??

Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,990 times
I really want to, but conventional wisdom tells you not to move without a job already lined up. I am continuing to bide my time until the leap becomes more reasonable. Life is too short, and I'm exploring all options. The stories here are excellent, though!

Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
we have taken three leaps of faith and yep worked out really well and our next leap is when we retire and we will be near our kids and grandkids and we will travel a lil bit and enjoy our family and our lives .

Old 06-21-2016, 12:58 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson80 View Post
This post is quite inspiring because I'm faced with the same dilemma myself. Currently, I've been in Tampa, FL for the past eleven years because my parents were laid off in Atlanta and we had no choice but to move here with family. The difficult part is that I would like to have a job lined up when I move back home and/or anywhere else; however, the company I work for they keep denying my transfers (saying my skills are perfect for the job but I don't have the experience). I mean how can you expect your employees to grow if you keep putting them in the name mediocre positions. Nevertheless, Tampa is just somewhere that I do not see myself growing, nor the environment that I pictured for myself and somehow I've let eleven years past by (which I fully take responsibility for allowing this to happen to myself).

Currently, I have enough money in savings to move but I'd like to at least have some form of employment lined up because I do not wish to deplete my savings account. It's just a tough decision to make, do I take the risk and see what's out there or stay unhappy here in Tampa??
have you tried north florida or Orlando or Jacksonville maybe you would be happier in one of those citys ....

Old 06-21-2016, 01:32 PM

274 posts, read 252,837 times
Four so far. In each instance I found a job in another state and moved there with my wife and son. We moved where we are in 2013, and I went ahead alone for six months. That was the most difficult thing I've ever done.

Our son graduates from high school next year, and all options regarding relocation are back on the table.

Me and my woman, we got the "restless blood"!!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:39 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
Four so far. In each instance I found a job in another state and moved there with my wife and son. We moved where we are in 2013, and I went ahead alone for six months. That was the most difficult thing I've ever done.

Our son graduates from high school next year, and all options regarding relocation are back on the table.

Me and my woman, we got the "restless blood"!!
We do too. We're currently waiting to hear about a job 1,500 miles away. And if that one doesn't pan out we know there's another job coming up 1,000 miles away in the opposite direction. I'd be happy with either!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:06 AM

555 posts, read 501,333 times
Taking a true "leap of faith" is really only something you can do in certain time periods of your life (when young, with no family -- children or parental -- responsibilities, new empty-nesters, etc.). I took a leap of faith as a young person not long after college -- I moved across the country to an area with no job, and no local contacts. I built my professional and social life from the ground up. Best decision I ever made, and resolved a lot of "what-ifs" that I think would have crept into my life otherwise. I don't advocate irresponsible, careless choices, but stepping out of your comfort zone in order to try to achieve something more teaches you quite a bit about life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues